Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Pioneer Head Unit Grounding

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:29 PM
farber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer Head Unit Grounding

Hi

Basically finished the install of new amp, speakers, sound deadening - very happy with the outcome - almost! Everything is new, except for the pioneer AVIC D1 headunit which I put in a year ago (previously running off internal amp w/ no problem).

I have been able to eliminate much of the alternator whine from the system, after MANY hours of working on it. I sincerely mean that - MANY!! Ive narrowed it down to the grounds at the head unit. Ive tried grounding to the amps, to its own ground on the chassis, etc.

I know there are two grounds in the back of the unit, one goes into some black box along with the power wire, and one doesnt. Ive tried switching these - no difference.

The only way I can remove extra "noise" (not alternator - loud noise) is to ground the RCAs to the physical Pioneer D1 unit. This leaves me with alternator whine (and no noise at idle). After much playing around, I (think) the whine is gone when I ground the RCAs to the chassis, BUT I am left with some "noise" (not as loud as not grounding the RCAs at all, but still loud and quite unbearable). So I am left with the worst of two evils.

RCAs are not the problem, power/RCAs are different sides of car, also tried wrapping them in tin foil. Its something to do with those grounds.

Its either noise or whine... Does anybody have any idea what the problem here is?

Any suggestions are most appreciated!!

THKS,

Jeff
Old 08-14-2006, 08:35 PM
maturola

Default Seen to be having similar issue (AVIC-Z1)

Farber, I seen to be having very similar issue. I will be replacing the Ground Wire in the battery for a 2 or 0 ga. What do you have?

i will also Repace the Ground of the HU for a shorter and thicker wire. Right now the GND is connecto to one of the Screws that hold the Unit.

I keep you post it with my outcome.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:48 PM
farber

Wow - you have no idea how frustrating this was. Tried every possible combination of grounding everywhere, to the battery, its own, amps, amps to battery, tried it all!!

I currently have one ground into the black box, and one not. Then, both are grounded to the factory ground behind the triple gauge cluster - this seemed to have the least whine, based off all above combinations. I then grounded the outside of the RCAs to the HU as I wrote before.

Id say the ground to the battery is not even a 4 gauge wire.

Im pretty sure I got rid of the whine if I simply ground the RCAs to the same point as the unit - but again, I am left with all types of loud electronic noise which is clearly unbearable. So I think its something along these lines, but I havent quite seemed to crack the case.

I dont understand why grounding to the HU is different than grounding to the chassis directly. One leaves whine and the other noise.

Jeff