Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Potential VGA Screen

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 09:34 AM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Potential VGA Screen

I have compiled some of the information I have obtained regarding a VGA screen.

Link to information

There are some pdf files here, with specifications. Lot's of technical stuff in the specs- maybe some of you can understand it better then me.
Old 03-01-2003, 01:05 PM
aggie300zx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just sent you an email, I'm interested.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:09 PM
Scafremon

Yikes!

I just noticed a typo on my lcd page. The module is set to be produced and available in April 2003 (next month), not April 2004 like previously shown.

I'm having trouble waiting the month, but if it was a year and a month, I don't think I'd be waiting.

Sorry for that mistake

Old 03-01-2003, 07:28 PM
jran76

Hmmm... I am interseted, and will email you in the next few days when I get my email working (I am on the road now, and it is not working).

One question, when you say NTSC, do you mean composite and/or S-video, or are you not sure becuase a specific driver board has not been selected yet?

Thanks for the info....
Old 03-01-2003, 07:58 PM
Scafremon

When I saw the previous model demo'd, I know that the driver board they used (which I believe to be the same one I have attached specs for) had a VGA connector, and also an RCA connector (for a composite video input). I don't recall seeing a S-Video input, but in reviewing these specs, it appears it has all three.

Page 12 of specs details the 15pin VGA connection.

Page 15 details both a composite input connection, and a s-video connection.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:02 PM
jran76

Originally posted by Scafremon
When I saw the previous model demo'd, I know that the driver board they used (which I believe to be the same one I have attached specs for) had a VGA connector, and also an RCA connector (for a composite video input). I don't recall seeing a S-Video input, but in reviewing these specs, it appears it has all three.

Page 12 of specs details the 15pin VGA connection.

Page 15 details both a composite input connection, and a s-video connection.
Thanks, I am lazy and retarded, and did not dig that deep. Sounds great to me. I was not planning on buying one right away, but I will if you can work something out. Keep us posted, and I will still email you....
Old 03-01-2003, 08:09 PM
Wags

Can I catch up? I'm interested.. hate explaining what would be under that little door. But what's the purpose here? Cheaper, better or both. I am just assuming that whatever is available now is already VGA and supports all those inputs.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:13 PM
jran76

What is available now is just a monitor, like a TV, and the graphics from a CPU will not look very good, or be very clear. This would be for a computer in the car, but would also display video through a S-video or composite (RCA) video input. This is a must have if you have a computer in the car. If you have ever tried to display CPU graphics on a TV (some newer digital TV's support it), the picture is not too clear. With the screens that are available now you there is no VGA input available, so you use a video (RCA/S-video to feed the signal.

This is more like a (S)VGA monitor.

Oh, yeah everyone that gets in my car wants to open that door, and know what is in there.

Edit, that's funny, Wags, I just read where you live, and I am in Manassas right now working at Micron (I'm bored, if you were wondering why I am on my computer at midnight).

Last edited by jran76; 03-01-2003 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:23 PM
Jspec350z

Talking

You rock!! I can't wait to get mine!! Make sure you get ahold of me as soon as it is available!!
Old 03-01-2003, 08:32 PM
Scafremon

jran76 described it very well Wags.

As for cost, you pay a bit more for a screen with VGA capabilities.

If someone wasn't considering hooking up a computer to the screen, I wouldn't recommmend spending the extra $$ for VGA. We have already seen that lcd screens with only TV capabilities (NTSC/PAL) will display these signals very well, and fit nicely in the nav area. In addition, these lcd screens have the added benefit of maximizing the available screen area of the compartment, by being in a widescreen format.

The fixed height/width ratio of a 640x480 VGA screen comes close to maximizing the available space, but falls a bit short. I don't see this as a problem however.

A computer in the car could do so much more then just play DVD movies and navigation. Having said that, i'm still not sure that we have found navigation software that will display as nicely as a stock navigation system. But I think we will, or come, very close.

And with the other added benefits, I think it is worth pursuing.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Wags

Hey thanks. If I had been folling the audio/video thread this would have probably been obvious too me. I see it's slightly bigger too. I picked up my Z on Valentine's Day and a new Dodge Dakota yesterday so I 'm kinda broke , but definately interested.

Too bad you're workin or we could meet up, another excuse to take it out Darn there's been two more posts to this while I've been typing and lookin for my beer.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:42 PM
Wags

A computer in the car could do so much more then just play DVD movies and navigation. Having said that, i'm still not sure that we have found navigation software that will display as nicely as a stock navigation system. But I think we will, or come, very close.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be tempted to get the screen just counting on that. Heck, MS Streets and Trips is pretty good. And, I couldn't justify paying $2K for just a NAV knowing you can get a pretty nice computer for not much...
Old 03-01-2003, 08:55 PM
jran76

Originally posted by Wags

Too bad you're workin or we could meet up, another excuse to take it out Darn there's been two more posts to this while I've been typing and lookin for my beer.
Actually, I am leaving tomorrow, but I will be back March 15-23rd. I will let you know. Maybe the weather will be better then also. You probably don't want to take it out in this stuff anyway. I am from Texas, and all this snow....

Actually, the weather stinks in Texas, I am glad I was gone this week, and the Z is in the garage. Ha ha, later....
Old 03-01-2003, 09:01 PM
Scafremon

I'd be tempted to get the screen just counting on that. Heck, MS Streets and Trips is pretty good. And, I couldn't justify paying $2K for just a NAV knowing you can get a pretty nice computer for not much...
I think MS Streets and Trips will only refresh a GPS signal every 12 seconds. That's a bummer, because that is one software option that is very affordable. Also, it provides one of the functions that i really want in a nav system- to be able to plan a trip in the comforts of my house on my home computer, then save the file onto a memory card (or transfer on a wireless network) to get the route into my car.

Imagine showing up at a z meeting with plans on a long drive, and handing everyone an 8mb memory card with the last minute modified route for the days drive.

And at the end of the day, previewing and sharing the pictures and videos taken.

Last edited by Scafremon; 03-01-2003 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:14 PM
Wags

jaran, PM me when you get back in town. I'm sure I think of some destination. I know the dealer's sold a bunch od Z's, but don't see them around... don't see much on the calendar either.

Scaf, I've got at least 2 or3 8MB cards you can throw in the pot. I like that idea. Had to bring up Steets & Trips just to see what GPS options it had... to late to figure it out though!
Old 03-01-2003, 09:30 PM
Scafremon

Had to bring up Steets & Trips just to see what GPS options it had... to late to figure it out though!

This is from MS website:

"Functionality is included in Streets & Trips 2003 for GPS devices that support National Marine Electronics Association (NMEA) 2.0 or later. This enables you to use Streets & Trips in the office, at home or on the go. Due to licensing restrictions coordinates are sampled at a 15-second interval"

That's where I learned of it. Maybe they just have to say this, but in reality, it will work faster? I'll experiment with it tomorrow. I have the software, and a GPS, and a laptop, and will have my wife driveme around town, and see how frequently it locates the car. I think my version is 2002 or earlier...maybe the older version doesn't have the restriction?
Old 03-02-2003, 06:56 PM
abz123

Nice Scafremon!

$400 is a really good price. How much extra for the Ultrabright option?

Here a link to one currently available...(expensive and the connectors are on the side). Are they putting the connectors on a seperate cable or on the bottom. Connectors on the side like this one would be hard to work with.

http://earthlcd.com/XLK5002T.htm

Are we sure the Xenarc does not work?....Can someone who has one confirm this?
Old 03-02-2003, 07:39 PM
aggie300zx

I'm not aware of anyone who has tried the Xenarc yet. The best I've found it online was for $470 (non-touchscreen model). The dimensions would call for at least the removal of the case around it, but not sure until I can see one in person.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:56 PM
alphared

has anyone even consider using copilot for a gps?? It has real time updates and automatic rerouting. Yeah its pricey compare to the rest (about 400) but its still cheaper than any nav system.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:27 PM
Scafremon

I'm really hoping the $400 price is about where it will be. Back in November, that was about the price they were talking. It was real hard (matter of fact I couldn't) get them to nail down a price. They were not used to someone walking in off the street and wanting to buy one of their screens. Plus, they didn't have any in stock at the time, for me to make an offer on and buy one on the spot. All the pricing was in generalities. Additional backlighting was like $50. As for the connectors, the card was very similiar to the NEC at the link you provided,with the connectors at the side. But, there is a cable that runs between the driver board card and the screen, so the card could be mounted elsewhere(?) in the cubby hole, maybe in a different orientation.

As for the Xenarc, isn't that a 7"screen? I forget, and couldn't locate a link to it right now. Not that this would be a problem,as long as it fits in the space we have. Even with the 6.4" screen, I think we will have to shrink the desktop space about 1/8" to stay within the vertical opening.

As for copilot nav software, I've checked out the site, and have it earmarked to look into further, if the <$100 type software doesn't pan out.

Quick Reply: Potential VGA Screen