Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Best/Optimal Place To Install ' SUBS '???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003 | 10:08 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Question Best/Optimal Place To Install ' SUBS '???

Okay guys, I am vastly approaching the time for my "Custom STEREO Install" and I need some if not ALL of the input form you guys personal experience (meaning you've actually seen and heard the istall) form various stereo installs for the Z! This will definitel be one of my CRITICAL installs/mods due to my Love of music!
My requirements:
1. LOW END "frequency response" is crucial!
2. I would prefer to utilize the spare-tire space and save all the little as it is room for storage. All though I have heard Vettes with this type of install and they DID NOT hit hard like I would want.
3. I absolutely DO NOT want the Subs mounted behind either seat.
4. I will consider anytype of install utilizing the rear brace, BUT! from the brace to the rear of the trunk I need open!
5. I allready know what head-unit and speakers I'm gonna use. It's just a matter of getting the BEST, HARDEST HITTING SOUND possible from the Z with the above certain conditions.

I was thinking of a 12' JL where the spare is, or two 10' JL's where the rear brace is.

Again any & all input (from those of you who have has "real experience" on the 350Z installs!

Thanks!!!

By the way, I am considering the following head-units:

Eclipse AV8132

Pioneer AVHP7490DVD

Panasonic CQVAD9200U
Old 03-01-2003 | 09:25 PM
Subw00er

TX, I spent a lot of time installing a 10w7 behind my seat and you are right, it sucks. That position is just plain horible for subs (no flames please, this is my opinion).

I also had a upwards firing sub in my previous install and it (as you noted) didnt hit as hard as it did when placed horizontal. I wont be doing that format again. This time I will be making a enclosure in between the rear hump and the strut tower - firing a single 12" under it the best I can... Perhaps slightly angled downwards and backwards. I think this will yeild optimal results and I'm a big fan of giving the sub's waves time to "mature."

I'm not sure what sub I am going with yet, but I'm contemplating a Dynaudio, but I'm not sure if it will hit as hard as I'd like. I used dynaudio elsewhere and am very suprised at their output, but subs may be a different story, perhaps I'll need two. I'll be using a 500/1 to power my low end. As a stand-in till my system is done I am using a 10w0 I had lying around and it sounds very good in a rear-firing position and blends suprisingly well with the Dyns. The w7 I had in there was thud-thud in comparison, not a musical sub at all. I've since returned it! I've played with different orientations with the hatch closed (foward, sideways, rear etc.) and I like rear facing, horizontal best.

Hope that helps! Please remember that this is my opinion based on my many years of car audio enthusiasm.

Last edited by Subw00er; 02-19-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2003 | 07:33 AM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82
Premier Member

1504 views and counting? Wow!

Anyway, based on Subw00er's and your comments, I think that Pook's install may fit your requirements, unless I misunderstood both of you (pretty good chance of that happening ). I believe he was trying to have the box finished this weekend at which point he will add some more pictures (and I'll add it to the subs thread).