Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Sirius / XM Antenna Installs? "Must" Go On The Roof?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 07:14 AM
mcduck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a pic of where mine is mounted. Never have a problem with reception (except the places you would expect... tunnels, some parking decks, etc.)
Attached Thumbnails Sirius / XM Antenna Installs? "Must" Go On The Roof?-antenna.jpg  
Old 07-27-2005, 07:38 AM
G35Alex

Hello everyone, coming through from G35driver.com! I was forwarded this link, as I happen to be kinda involved in the industry. If you own a Z, or a G, the best place to install the antenna is next to the A pillar. I will take a picture of a MyFi installed in my 05 G sedan, and how the wiring is hidden almost completely out of the picture. You all can follow the same thing, just obviously in the Zs. Remove the A pillar from the passenger side. Run the antenna end under the bunch of wires held together. Reinstall the A pillar. Run the wire down the passenger front lower a-pillar to underneath the dash. Run the wires around towards the middle of the car (still under the dash). And obviously, depending on what type of receiver you have and where you are placing it, install your XM Radio. Since I am a member over at G35driver.com and just cruised on in to give some suggestions, please feel free to e-mail me any time at
ajovicich@powerxm.com.
(PS Thanks to Rich over at AZ350Z for pointing out the thread. He thought I may chime in with an idea or two).

Alexandar Jovicich
Owner
PowerXM.com
Old 08-16-2005, 10:17 AM
SwedeZ

Default Metallic Tint

Anyone who installed their antenna in/on the strut bar that has metallic tint in rear window? Seems like reception would be a problem in that situation...
Old 08-16-2005, 04:03 PM
Metalaxe

My rear window has metallic tint and my receiver has reception bars filled almost constantly. Occasionally I will lose a bar or two, but never reception. Only place I lose it is in my garage or under some freeway overpasses.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcduck
Here's a pic of where mine is mounted. Never have a problem with reception (except the places you would expect... tunnels, some parking decks, etc.)
That's where I put my GPS antenna.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:19 AM
ca_craftsmen

The instructions say that the best reception ison the roof, but really... who wants that????

At my shop we install all the sat radio antennas on the dash in the corner. Works great for most of the customers, and only a couple cases have they comeback and we had to change the location to the roof somewhere.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:40 PM
sundevil67

I just picked up my car today and the installer mounted the sirius antenna on the roof. I hate it, though I guess I really couldn't say anything because I didn't specify where I wanted it installed. He insisted that it has to be on the roof to get good reception. The reason I believe him is because I have a Sirius unit in my home, and it didn't work AT ALL until I had an antenna mounted on my roof. Any of you guys using Sirius in the southwest? I am also concerned that anyone can see it and will know I have satellite radio, which they can then assume that I have a system, and then break in and steal it.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Metalaxe

I live in Phoenix, AZ and trust me, you can install it in the car. I put mine under the passenger strut bar cover and have never lost reception (except under freeway overpasses). In fact, I even hid the antenna in our Murano under the 3rd brake light cover with no issues. The car antennas are better than the home ones. I have sirius in the house and have a hard time maintaining a signal while the antenna is in the house. I think the home antennas suck. I would definitely take that antenna off the roof. Kills the Z's lines. You can get away with it on a SUV, but not the Z.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:30 PM
sundevil67

Default Sirius Antenna

Originally Posted by Metalaxe
I live in Phoenix, AZ and trust me, you can install it in the car. I put mine under the passenger strut bar cover and have never lost reception (except under freeway overpasses). In fact, I even hid the antenna in our Murano under the 3rd brake light cover with no issues. The car antennas are better than the home ones. I have sirius in the house and have a hard time maintaining a signal while the antenna is in the house. I think the home antennas suck. I would definitely take that antenna off the roof. Kills the Z's lines. You can get away with it on a SUV, but not the Z.
Thanks for the info Metalaxe - I am going to activate my car subscription so that I can compare the reception from it being on the roof and it being in the car, but I agree - I can't leave it where it is, it is just nasty. Can you post a pic of exactly where you have it? Here is a shot of mine:

Old 01-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Metalaxe

No problem sundevil! I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow and I'll explain how I ran the cable. It will make more sense with the picture. Where in Phoenix do you live? I'm in Gilbert. Do you ever go to any Z meets? I am looking for some. I thought about joining the Desert Z Association, (They left a business card on my window at the movies once) but have yet to commit. Later
Old 01-29-2006, 12:24 AM
sundevil67

I have wanted to join a clue too. I emailed Desert Z I think but they never got back to me. There are a couple of others in the area as well that I've checked into, but I too have yet to commit. Just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day for it; but if I had someone to go with it might make it easier. I live in Tempe. Thanks in advance for posting the pic.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:32 AM
netminder32

Where is the factory antenna mounted?
Old 01-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Metalaxe

Here is the pic of the antenna mounting I did. Basically I started with the antenna in the location and tucked the cable underneath all the overlaps in the side panels. Then ran it underneath the passenger kick plate trim and under the dash to the receiver. The hardest part was pulling the center stack out to pull the cable through the nav compartment. This process was actually very easy and no panels had to be removed, just popped up enough to hide the cable. As you can see in the picture, the panel on top of the strut bar just pops off (don't pull it away from the side panel though, just enough to get your hands under there. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails Sirius / XM Antenna Installs? "Must" Go On The Roof?-sirius-antenna-z.jpg  
Old 01-29-2006, 09:13 PM
sundevil67

Hmm - I am very suspicious of that! I believe you when you say that it works, but after the nightmare I had at home, I am nervous about having my installer move it from the roof to this location and then having to pay to have it put back! You are in Phoenix right?
Old 01-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Metalaxe

Yup. I'm in PHX. Not sure how yours is installed now, but it is really simple to do yourself. No need to pay an installer. I do use this with a plug and play starmate. Sounds like you probably have a complete system, right? I wouldn't think it would make a difference though. The only locations I don't get a signal are: in my garage, under freeway overpasses, and inside parking structures. Since the strut bar is metal, it is just like the roof. Only has to pass through the plastic cover and the hatch glass. I believe the roof is the optimal location, but I got this idea from someone else here on the board. Another location I've seen is on the dash behind the center gauge pod. It's not hidden though. I prefer stealth installs.
I am thinking about taking it out of the car to try in my house. If it works, I'll just buy a car antenna for inside the house. I read on Sirius Backstage forums that the car antennas are much stronger than the home ones. I believe it, too. That home antenna sucks if not outside or on the roof. I'll let you know if I try it.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:58 AM
sundevil67

Default Sirius Antenna

I thought the antenna needed a clear line of sight to the satellite like it does in the home. I guess the car antenna is different. I have it on the roof now, and I think it looks like crap (see below). The antenna I purchased for my house is also below, and I linked it to Amazon where I bought it. The signal in the house is perfect now. I got tired of repositioning it and running it into the backyard with the door open - it was a huge pain and it kept cutting out.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:06 AM
sundevil67

Default Sirius

I can't find your link - but would like to see.

Originally Posted by publisher
Check out my mod link below and take note. I installed my antenna in the same place as most of the others except I cut out a mounting hole so as to "semi-hide" it.

On my mod page, click on one of the "finished box" photo for a better view.

BTW, the reception is just fine. On my other car, the antenna is mounted on the trunk because the back deck under the rear window of the car interferred with the signal.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:11 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Metalaxe-
I have a XM Roady2 and wanted to listen in the garage. I bought an extra car antenna and a power adapter and it works very good if you place it on metal. Otherwise no signal. My extra antenna is monted to the top of my toolchest and it comes in full strength.
BTW, I just re-read your post and I have same experience in the car under the strut cover as you. Sometimes I can get reception inside the car if the garage door is open. The same antenna is just fine on something like a toolbox. This proves the point others make that strut bar is not as ideal as roof but I just don't care. It's where I wanted it installed and it works for me. Good luck.

Last edited by bjr; 01-30-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:25 PM
sundevil67

Power adapter? Is this some kind of signal booster? Available for Sirius?
Old 01-30-2006, 12:31 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No. I was just referring to the 12v cord. The Roady runs off 6V actually and the cord that it comes with changes 12V from the car to 6V. I hid the original one behind the dash and just bought another one for outside the car along with the extra antenna.

Quick Reply: Sirius / XM Antenna Installs? "Must" Go On The Roof?