Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Will just an Equalizer fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 04:14 AM
rentbaxley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will just an Equalizer fix it?

I'm going through the same thing as everyone else with the Touring model, Bose system. I was wondering if anyone has simply added an EQ (5-15 band or something) in order to adjust the sound. Think this would work? Or do I have to replace the speakers and amp?

I have a set of Orion HCCA 6s with an amp to push them, but the tweets are 1" so they won't fit in the factory locations. I also have a 12" IDQ that I am considering trading for a 10". I want to keep the HU, as I like the 6disc in-dash feature.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
rent
Old 03-11-2003, 05:34 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

An EQ would help...if you had a way to interface to it, but you don't. Your Bose head unit does not have RCA outputs, which are required by all EQ's. Your only hope to improve the sound in your Touring is to upgrade your system, and remove all signs of the Bose...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...but the Bose is a BIG disappointment in the Z. The head unit sounds poor, the amps are weak, and the speaker are just plain junk.

"No highs, no lows...it must be a Bose !"
Old 03-12-2003, 07:03 AM
Qbnmissile

Not true at all... I used my stock HU with an MTX 5 channel amp via a Cadence CEQ650 EQ. All you need is a line to RCA converter ($10-15 at most stereo shops). This takes the signal from 2 channels (FR & FL in my case) on the HU and converts it to an RCA signal. Plug that RCA into an amp or EQ+amp and you'll be flying. I ended up removing the stoch HU and replacing it with an aftermarket unit that has an EQ built-in so I was able to see the whole install/de-install process... Hope this helps ya...
Old 03-12-2003, 07:42 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Also, keep in mind that every line out convertor introduces a little bit of system noise and distortion. Once this noise is in, there's no getting it out. The bottom line is, if you are going to make any attempts to improve sound with an EQ, you will have to get a new head unit too...its also hard to equalize sounds that are not present. I honestly feel that the Bose HU has a limited frequency range, say from 150 Hz to 16kHz (IE No highs, no lows)...so you will not be able to boost the frequencies that just aren't there...
Old 03-12-2003, 08:21 AM
rentbaxley

Thanks for the help all.

I actually have a Pioneer p7200, two Orion Amps, Orion HCCA 6s's, and a 12" IDQ sub (would like to swap for a 10"). Maybe I should just skip all the tweaking and throw in this system. I can't believe no manufacturers make a 6-disc in dash system!
Old 03-12-2003, 08:26 AM
rentbaxley

Thanks for the help all.

I actually have a Pioneer p7200, two Orion Amps, Orion HCCA 6s's, and a 12" IDQ sub (would like to swap for a 10"). Maybe I should just skip all the tweaking and throw in this system. I can't believe no manufacturers make a 6-disc in dash system!
Old 03-14-2003, 09:03 AM
Qbnmissile

Originally posted by onecoolee
Also, keep in mind that every line out convertor introduces a little bit of system noise and distortion. Once this noise is in, there's no getting it out. The bottom line is, if you are going to make any attempts to improve sound with an EQ, you will have to get a new head unit too...its also hard to equalize sounds that are not present. I honestly feel that the Bose HU has a limited frequency range, say from 150 Hz to 16kHz (IE No highs, no lows)...so you will not be able to boost the frequencies that just aren't there...
It may be true that noise and/or distortion is introduced with the addition of the line converter. However, having that setup in may car originally, I had NO audible noise and/or distortion. IMO it has more to do with the components being used to deliver, amplify, and project that sound. I will agree with crapping the stealth install and go with quality products. I changed my setup b/c the the stock HU was the weakest link in a system that was well tweaked...
Old 03-14-2003, 12:37 PM
rentbaxley

Alright, I'm convinced! Thanks for the help...looks like i'll be installing an entirely new system. Everything is just sitting in a box right now, so I guess it might as well be put to use!