Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Sub Enclosure Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 04:42 AM
Quick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub Enclosure Suggestions

Alright, here is my deal... I want something that has tight, clean, not boomy bass and doesn't take up room in the trunk. I need as much as possible. You see, i go to the track quite often and i have to take alot of tools. My tools and jack will take up most of the trunk, leaving very little room or protection for a sub. So here are my suggestions. I want to know how you think they will sound. All will be in a sealed enclosure.

Opt 1. Put either single or dual 8's in a sealed enclosure behind the driver seat. The angle of the sub would be similar to angle of the cover that is currently on it.

Opt 2. Put a single sub (8 possibly 10), in a sealed down-firing enclosure. The enclosure would have a slot in it for the air/sound to come out of and would be raised about 3 inches off of the floor.

Opt 3. Open to suggestions, but remember my requirements.

Also, either going with JL w3v2's or Infinity perfect.

Help me out!!! PLEASE!!
Old 03-11-2003, 05:30 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Here are my suggestions:

Opt 1. - This is not ideal. The stock location is too close to the listening area, and as a result the bass wave is not fully formed, and sounds like crap. I don't care if you use a 15" or an 8", its way too close. Try to keep subs in the hatch for better sounding bass...

Opt 2. - This is much better. Ported enclosures typically have better output, but take up more space. Designing a ported enclosure in the Z which uses very little space will be tough. I would suggest sticking with a sealed enclosure to minimize space requirements.

Opt 3. - See my attached enclosure, and thread showing how I designed it.

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/20371-my-new-sub-enclosure-finally-done.html

Here is the final result:
Attached Thumbnails Sub Enclosure Suggestions-sub_side.jpg  
Old 03-11-2003, 07:17 AM
Quick

the problem is that even this enclosure is very difficult for me. You really have to see my trunk with everything in it. It is totally packed. It looks like a commercial from nissan about how much stuff the trunk can hold! It's really pathetic.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:25 AM
WebToker

Originally posted by onecoolee
Here are my suggestions:

Opt 1. - This is not ideal. The stock location is too close to the listening area, and as a result the bass wave is not fully formed, and sounds like crap. I don't care if you use a 15" or an 8", its way too close. Try to keep subs in the hatch for better sounding bass...

I find this statement to be very true. I just spent a day building a custom box for behind the drivers seat and it feels and sounds strange. I dynamated the entire inside of the compartment and then built the box with a small port. It has two JL 8s in it. I am thinking I may need to make the port bigger or even have two ports. I really hope I don't have to scrap that box because I spent so much ****ing time on it.