Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

tinting and alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 12:18 AM
mariner2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tinting and alarm system

this forum is awesome! I am a relatively new member and everyone has been great in giving me info. to start adding aftermarket parts for my new 2006 Z.

Got two questions:

1) The 350Z comes with an immobilizer and a factory alarm system... How many owners have gone the extra mile and added a aftermarket 2 way paging alarm system? Does it make sense to do so and what is a good brand/model for 2 way alarms?

2) I live in Canada and tinting the passenger and driver windows is illegal... I am considering tinting the hatch window and the two small windows behind the driver and passenger seats... Don't want a dark tint.. something dark enough to be noticeable but also not too dark... My previous car is a 2000 VW GTI VR6 and I have all three back windows tinted and it looks nice... I actually like the look of the back windows on the Z without the tint and don't how much better it would look with a light tint... So I guess the question is... if you could only tint the back three windows(not driver or passenger window) would you tint or would you leave it as it is? Just want some opinions and feedback..
Old 10-09-2006, 12:42 AM
Jenn350Z

Not sure about BC but in Ontario (as well as other places) it's not illegal to have tint on the front windows as long as it's at 35% or higher (check your local tint shops they'll know the legal limit for sure).

Most cops won't care really if the windows are below the % limit anyways. It's just a bonus ticket for them if they pull you over for something else if they feel like being dicks.

I'd go with a modest tint like 22% all the way around as having different shades of tint on a car looks bad IMO.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Jenn350Z

Hmmmmmm, quick search in Yahoo got these discussions:

http://forums.maxima.org/printthread.php?t=390350

and these guys are saying you can have tint on the front windows as long as it's above 35% : http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2400

EDIT:
Here's the actual laws: http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Consumer_In...vincelaws.html
Old 10-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you going to do if your pager alarm goes off ... chase the criminals away or catch a bullet/knife blade?

Just wondering.

I had a friend chase a guy down the street in his drawers running with an AK after his alarm went off. If caught the guy tampering with his car might have had a court experence and doubtfully spend more than a night or two behind bars. If my friend would have actually shot the guy my friends life would have been over - he would either be in jail or broke defending himself against the state trying to send him to prison.

Audible alarms have the benifit of actually making some noise to scare off the criminal. Adding a pager to such an alarm will let you watch the guy run off. I wouldn't want to run into a criminal less than fully prepared nor expect you would want to do the same. Have a plan before you go running head long into a shooting.