Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

what sub to put in place of my factory BOSE spot??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 07:46 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question what sub to put in place of my factory BOSE spot??

sounds like a sub that is designed for a open spot or an infanit baffle (IF) would work best???

anyone know the approx size of the enclosure and if it is sealed or not???

what is my best method and what driver do you recommend at about $100-150????

PLEASE HELP
Old 03-11-2003, 08:39 PM
alphared

um, do a search, there are tons of info on that here.
Anyone2u has been nice enough to post all sub installed in one thread. for that price don't think you'll find a decent one.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:34 PM
rodH

Originally posted by alphared
um, do a search, there are tons of info on that here.
Anyone2u has been nice enough to post all sub installed in one thread. for that price don't think you'll find a decent one.
I looked at the thread that had ALL the subs installed, the problem is that there isn't ANY more info beyond the part # and a picture.

I am referring to that price for a discounted outlet, meaning retail would be 200-300$

btw, I am NOT, I repeat NOT looking to blow away the neighbors with this system, I am NOT looking for that TYPE of system, I want ACCURACY, and NOT just SPLs (I have a >$20,000 home unit and I can'T STAND the sound of the BOOM BOOM crap that end up in 99% of the cars out there, don't get me wrong they have the capability to be accurate, BUT htey aren't tuned that way. It is MUCH easier to get a good sounding sub that is accurate VS a BOOM BOOM machine). This is for my PERSONAL use, NOT everyone elses.

this is an example of a AWESOME driver for home use (DIY) that guys put together and FREAKIN BLOW AWAY $2-3k home theater subs. don't believe all the hype, raw drivers don't cost that much to make.

Old 03-12-2003, 03:07 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I would suggest the JL Audio IB4-10, you can find the specs at: http://www.jlaudio.com

I think these subs cost around $200, but will provide a significant improvement over the stock Bose sub. THey should be a drop-in/exact fit for the factory sub. That factory compartment probably has 2 cuft+ of space in it, and its huge, but its not sealed at all, which makes it impossible to use anything that is not freeair or IB.

I do believe that you will need to upgrade your sub amp as well, the Bose one is dinky and very weak...(see picture below)
Attached Thumbnails what sub to put in place of my factory BOSE spot??-bose_lol.jpg  
Old 03-12-2003, 05:44 AM
vova151

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God bless those Aggies!!!!
Old 03-12-2003, 06:07 AM
rodH

Originally posted by onecoolee
I would suggest the JL Audio IB4-10, you can find the specs at: http://www.jlaudio.com

I think these subs cost around $200, but will provide a significant improvement over the stock Bose sub. THey should be a drop-in/exact fit for the factory sub. That factory compartment probably has 2 cuft+ of space in it, and its huge, but its not sealed at all, which makes it impossible to use anything that is not freeair or IB.

I do believe that you will need to upgrade your sub amp as well, the Bose one is dinky and very weak...(see picture below)
thanks for your help, YES I already have another AMP, a dedicated 150W amp that will be used for the sub.

anymore out there?
Old 03-12-2003, 07:07 AM
BW350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the IB4 and was not that happy with it. It was OK, but it will be difficult for you to find anything that will sound tight in that spot. This new shop that I'm dealing with called around and got a recommendation on a Kicker sub that is supposed to do well in large enclosures. We are going to give that a shot. Should be in early next week. I let you know the outcome.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:29 AM
slaponte

Default Onecoolee, or others know

where to order the 10IB4 for a good price on the web?

Will continue searching...
Old 03-12-2003, 11:33 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

PM Nazar, or call him, amybe he can sell you an IB4. I think he's an authorized JL dealer...

Good luck, and I will let you know if I find an online dealer for these...
Old 03-12-2003, 11:55 AM
rodH

Originally posted by BW350Z
I tried the IB4 and was not that happy with it. It was OK, but it will be difficult for you to find anything that will sound tight in that spot. This new shop that I'm dealing with called around and got a recommendation on a Kicker sub that is supposed to do well in large enclosures. We are going to give that a shot. Should be in early next week. I let you know the outcome.
I was doing a HUGE search last night on "free air subs" it looks like Kicker makes 2-3 of them in a 10" size, fairly affordable too, LET me know how it goes.