Old 11-08-2006 | 04:51 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

just use the attachment function below the text window
Old 11-09-2006 | 04:55 AM
pierced5

Default Kick Panel Pics

Here are some pics of the completed driver's side panel. I took a few with the speakers removed and some installed. I'll get some more in the car later.

As I was attaching the photos, I was informed they exceeded the allowable size. One made it, ..............I'll be back.

Back with more.
Attached Thumbnails Kicks Vs. Door Pods-mvc-003f.jpg   Kicks Vs. Door Pods-kick-panel.jpg   Kicks Vs. Door Pods-kick-panel2.jpg   Kicks Vs. Door Pods-kick-panel3.jpg  

Last edited by pierced5; 11-09-2006 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-09-2006 | 05:06 AM
pierced5

Didn't realize the resolution sucked so bad. Ill adjust the settings and try again.
Old 11-09-2006 | 05:24 AM
pierced5

Some more pics. Hopefully better res.
Attached Thumbnails Kicks Vs. Door Pods-kick-panel4.jpg   Kicks Vs. Door Pods-kick-panel5.jpg   Kicks Vs. Door Pods-kick-panel6.jpg   Kicks Vs. Door Pods-kick-panel7.jpg  
Old 11-09-2006 | 07:26 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

looks good, i have two questions though:

1. even though the kick panel loosk like it can keep the dead pedal, does the sepaker still block it?

2. is it going to be open backed like that?

3. can you take pics from the back to show how thick the fiberglass is or if dampening is used?

4. is that texture paint or vinyl on the kick?

b
Old 11-09-2006 | 07:41 AM
pierced5

1. even though the kick panel loosk like it can keep the dead pedal, does the sepaker still block it? Yes, the pedal is blocked from a direct movement of the foot to the pedal. However, it's just a minor movement required to get there. You will get a better idea once I get pics in the car.

2. is it going to be open backed like that? At this point it will remain open backed due to the location of the fuse block which, unfortunately, is located behind that panel as I am sure you know.

3. can you take pics from the back to show how thick the fiberglass is or if dampening is used? I will take some pics of the back. Final fiberglass thickness is between an 1/8" and 1/4". As far as dampening, I will be dampening it myself. I have also considered polyfill behind the speaker to slow down the sound wave.

4. is that texture paint or vinyl on the kick? The kick is covered in vinyl that is an incredible match. The last step will be to dye the vinyl to a flat black as opposed to the current "shiny" black.

b[/QUOTE]

I will get some more pics for you in a short while as I am doing the rear brakes on my wife's Expedition right now.
Old 11-09-2006 | 05:07 PM
jdohman

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
I have feet on the ends of my legs so I need holes down at the bottom of the car to put them in.

I have yet to find a single home stereo system which mounts the tweeters at foot level either. I probably have seen 500 or more speaker designs and none of them are designed with the tweeters down low. In fact for best imagining you need to mount the tweeters at ear level. You also have to control the early reflections of the tweeters (again those dang feet at the bottom of my legs) and the interior of a car just ain't the place to even begin to attempt to do that.

Home speaker manufacturers do time alignment, remove edges to control defraction, and give careful instructions on how to place their speakers for best performance. Car stereo installers stick them in the locations where they best fit.
I personally have not seen a high end home system in which you sit 1 to 2 feet from your speakers. I have also not seen a high end system where you sit directly infront of the left channel and 3 to 4 feet away from the right channel. Personally most SQ vehicles use the tweet in the kick because it is the best location and just not a place to "stick it" like factory location. Talking about reflection I would rather the tweet hit my leg then a window which can alter the sound and causes alot more reflection.
Old 11-12-2006 | 03:44 PM
pierced5

I apologize for not posting pics of the back of the kick panel yet. I have been working some OT the past few days. I'll be taking the car back to the installer Tuesday for the passenger side. The project has made progress though.
I am almost finished with the sound deadening in the rear of the car. I installed Ramm Mat and then a layer of 1/8" neoprene foam. Although it has been a pain, I must say that it has been very interesting to drive the car as installation of the deadening materials progresses. It has allowed me to survey the affects of the installed materials and isolate areas that require more. The change so far has been pretty drastic.
Old 11-13-2006 | 09:44 AM
12AutoX

If you want to enclose the backs of your kicks, you can make little baskets for them with chicken wire and needle nose pliers, then fiberglass over them. I did mine in a couple days. Pretty small fiberglassing project. I think it's worth it for the woofers. The fuse box is a pain, but you can move the wires around a bit to make more room. Are you keeping the door speakers? My set has midranges/tweets in the kicks and woofers in the doors still.
Old 11-15-2006 | 05:55 PM
pierced5

Thanks for the suggestion as to how to enclose the backs. I have been pondering exactly what to do, leave them open, or enclose them. I think I will install open backed and see how they sound and go form there. The fuse block is definately a pain on the driver's side.
My problem now is the sub. My original intention was to invert the sub (10W6V2) mounted under the strut bar. Then today I changed my mind and built a sealed enclosure. The problem is that the enlosure finished heigth is about 1-1/2" above the height of the original trunk floor, which will require a tall false floor and leave the trunk shallow. Looks like I might be headed back to the inverted idea. Any suggestions for mounting sub?
Old 11-15-2006 | 06:03 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

the 10w6 does fit in an understrut rear ward facing enclosure...

but if you are adapament on it facing up, like you said, you either go inverted and keep stock floor height, or go normal side up and raise the floor

such is the price to pay for a deep sub hehe
Old 11-16-2006 | 03:28 PM
azula

so i have a question, if the speakers go in the kicks, what happens to the original speaker location? can we put speakers there as well or do you just leave them disconnected?
Old 11-16-2006 | 03:39 PM
pierced5

I personally am leaving the stock speakers in place and disconnected. I figured it would be that much easier to return to stock that way. I picked up the passenger side kick today and it looks great.
Old 11-20-2006 | 11:34 AM
pierced5

Default Pics Of Passenger Side Kick And Sub Box

Hi All,
It's been several days since I have had a chance to work on the stereo project, but here are the latest pics. They include the passengers finished side kick panel and the enclosure for the 10W6 that will be installed inverted. As I previously posted, my first box build for a traditional mount was too tall, which would have resulted in a shallow trunk after false floor. With the inverted mount I will be able to retain the stock trunk depth.
Attached Thumbnails Kicks Vs. Door Pods-passenger-kick-1.jpg   Kicks Vs. Door Pods-passenger-kick-2.jpg   Kicks Vs. Door Pods-passenger-kick-3.jpg   Kicks Vs. Door Pods-inverted-sub-enclosure-1.jpg   Kicks Vs. Door Pods-inverted-sub-enclosure-2.jpg  

Old 11-20-2006 | 11:42 AM
pierced5

A few more with the sub sitting in install position.
Attached Thumbnails Kicks Vs. Door Pods-inverted-sub-enclosure-3.jpg   Kicks Vs. Door Pods-inverted-sub-enclosure-4.jpg   Kicks Vs. Door Pods-inverted-sub-enclosure-5.jpg   Kicks Vs. Door Pods-inverted-sub-enclosure-6.jpg   Kicks Vs. Door Pods-inverted-sub-enclosure-7.jpg  

Old 11-20-2006 | 11:44 AM
pierced5

Last pic. If anyone is interested in the dimensions, let me know. The box is built to the JL spec of .675 cf.
Attached Thumbnails Kicks Vs. Door Pods-inverted-sub-enclosure-8.jpg  
Old 11-21-2006 | 09:53 AM
pierced5

Default Trunk Floor Finished

I was able to finish the trunk floor this morning, as well as some more sound deadening. Installed two more plastic panels and things are starting to take shape. Pics include one which shows how I utilized the stock trunk floor support. Any questions, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Kicks Vs. Door Pods-sub-with-floor-installed-1.jpg   Kicks Vs. Door Pods-sub-with-floor-installed-2.jpg   Kicks Vs. Door Pods-sub-with-floor-installed-3.jpg   Kicks Vs. Door Pods-floor-brace-with-original-support.jpg  
Old 11-21-2006 | 10:10 AM
mw9

so, you want your tweeters down low with the midbass, rather than higher. I thought to have the tweeters alittle higher and pointer towards the middle of the car. I am setting my car up in the next few months, so please let me know your opinions on best mounting places. I will have a 6 3/4 and a tweet on each side. I also have a alpine center channel, I heard if you put this in the system it will throw the system out of phase, unless you use 5.1 system. How much for kickpanels for the Z. thanks for all the help.
Old 11-21-2006 | 10:19 AM
pierced5

Originally Posted by mw9
so, you want your tweeters down low with the midbass, rather than higher. I thought to have the tweeters alittle higher and pointer towards the middle of the car. I am setting my car up in the next few months, so please let me know your opinions on best mounting places. I will have a 6 3/4 and a tweet on each side. I also have a alpine center channel, I heard if you put this in the system it will throw the system out of phase, unless you use 5.1 system. How much for kickpanels for the Z. thanks for all the help.
I have not listened to the speakers installed in the kicks yet as the system install is not complete. As for the kicks, I had them custom made and located the tweets down low based on the opinions of others here on the forum. I also remember the install in my BMW from some years back. The tweets were up high and beat the **** out of my ears. I will provide feedback as to tweeter location once I have the system installed and tuned.
Old 11-21-2006 | 02:26 PM
azula

pierced, i must say that you are the first i've seen with an inverted sub in that manner. very nice install. i am having kicks built as well, did they fabricate off of your stock kicks or are those from scratch?

Quick Reply: Kicks Vs. Door Pods