Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Funny alarm question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006 | 06:52 PM
Azn_Empurio

Default Funny alarm question

if i were to get an aftermarket alarm where i can run the engine for a bit to get it warmed up and the car was in gear...would the alarm not allow it or just turn on and stall?
Old 11-23-2006 | 10:36 PM
usmanasif

Hmm...I've tried to make sense of your post and it seems what you're asking is whether a remote start would work if the car was left in gear when parked?

Err...it will, but not to start the car; only to make it lurch and shut off. That is why ethical installers will not install remote starters on MT cars.
Old 11-24-2006 | 06:15 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

Alarms designed for automatic transmissions have starter by-passes which shut off to allow you to remote start the car. Nobody with ethics will install one on a manual transmission car for fear of the law suits which will follow after you run the car through the garage door into a bus load full of nuns.
Old 11-24-2006 | 03:35 PM
Azn_Empurio

Originally Posted by usmanasif
Hmm...I've tried to make sense of your post and it seems what you're asking is whether a remote start would work if the car was left in gear when parked?

Err...it will, but not to start the car; only to make it lurch and shut off. That is why ethical installers will not install remote starters on MT cars.

ah ok, yea thats what i meant sorry
interesting to know, guess ill have a talk with whoevers installing my alarm
Old 11-24-2006 | 03:35 PM
Azn_Empurio

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
Alarms designed for automatic transmissions have starter by-passes which shut off to allow you to remote start the car. Nobody with ethics will install one on a manual transmission car for fear of the law suits which will follow after you run the car through the garage door into a bus load full of nuns.
lol i see
thanks a lot for clearing that up guys
Old 11-25-2006 | 07:38 AM
Dirty Dave

There is nothing wrong with installing a remote starter on a manual transmission car if the remote start is designed to work on a manual. I install them all the time as long as they are installed correctly there isnt any issues. What I use in all of my customer installs and find to be the best on the market are compustar units. You should look into using one of these.
Old 11-25-2006 | 08:03 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Dirty Dave
There is nothing wrong with installing a remote starter on a manual transmission car if the remote start is designed to work on a manual. I install them all the time as long as they are installed correctly there isnt any issues. What I use in all of my customer installs and find to be the best on the market are compustar units. You should look into using one of these.
Ah, I've never seen a remote start for a manual transmission. Good to know. It must have a sensor that is connected to detect that the gear box is in neutral I would assume.
Old 11-27-2006 | 11:58 AM
Dirty Dave

Ah, I've never seen a remote start for a manual transmission. Good to know. It must have a sensor that is connected to detect that the gear box is in neutral I would assume.
It monitors the e brake, door trigger, and foot brake where you have to go through a quick sequence that ensures the vehicle is left in neutral when exiting so that it cannot be remote started in gear. Im suuprised you have not heard of compustar's they are very popular among the community here because of their top quality.