Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Navigation swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 09:40 AM
wluke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation swap

I recently bought a 03 base coupe. If I instal the navigation radio unit from a nav model will it convert with ease? Anyone attempt this swap with success?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:41 AM
JaX_Z

from what ive herd its dam neer impossible
Old 12-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

if you're not prewired for it (didn't come with navi stock), then you'll go to more trouble than its worth to get it in. Best bet is to get a flip out or double din touch screen with navi.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Escobar

Received 154 Likes on 128 Posts

yeah, there are plenty of DVD navigation units out there that will be much cheaper and a probably better IMO for half the price
Old 12-13-2006, 02:56 PM
50 Freak

So gentlemen, which are the most favorite AFTERMARKET nav systems out there?

I have a 06 Base that I've been thinking of putting a Nav system in.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Interlagos Fire

I have a Eclipse AVN5500 and really like the navi.

If you want XM radio and Navtraffic consider a Pioneer.

Eclipse navi is dead-on and fast. I'm sure navi from brands like Pioneer, Kenwood and Alpine is just as good too, I'd just never own one, so I have no experience to share.

If you don't want a separate "brain" unit for the nav then get a Eclipse. If it doesn't matter to you then most other brands will have a separate brain.

One thing about the Eclipse AVN is the radio could use a little more function like more than 6 preset FM/AM channels and XM compatibility.

Oh, and no matter which brand you went with it's gonna be a lot less than putting in a OEM nav.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by wluke
I recently bought a 03 base coupe. If I instal the navigation radio unit from a nav model will it convert with ease? Anyone attempt this swap with success?
Don't even think about it. That project will be way $$ and you won't get even close to what an aftermarket product provides.

I can't believe I'm saying this (since I hate doing the search), but a search on navigation will show you much better solutions.

--Spike
Old 12-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 50 Freak
So gentlemen, which are the most favorite AFTERMARKET nav systems out there?

I have a 06 Base that I've been thinking of putting a Nav system in.

Thanks
Hi,

I read your question and would like to offer this response.

You have three choices:
(1) All-in-one transportable devices
(2) Double Din devices with flip down screens accessing a DVD slot (and optional HD)
(3) Hide-away devices that output to remote screen

(1) All-in- One Transportable devices
Typically these are GPS devices (e.g., Garmin, Magellan, Alpine, etc.) that are self-contained and have 3.5 LCD screens (sometimes larger screens as is the case with the Garmin Nuvi 660 which is a 4.5 screen). You put these devices into your upper/forward cubby in the Z. They receive power from your cigarette lighter or other 12 volt power plug-in, or you can hard-wire to the ignition. These units always have built-in antennas, but you can also connect an external antenna when if you need better reception. The advantage is you can move the device between different cars, or take it with you when you leave the car and travel streets on foot in unknown cities or areas. The premier products in this class are Garmin, Magellan, and Alpine.

(2) Double Din Devices have large (7”) screens that flip to expose a DVD/CD drive. The upper end devices have hard drives as well. These devices always have a DVD/CD drive, and the high-end models in the line have hard disk drives where you can store your GPS data as well as MP3 files. High end models will write DVDs (+, -, and/or RAM disks), download mp3 files, and play DVDs. The high-end models that store navigation on a HD provide faster navigation than the DVD-only devices that require a DVD in the drive to perform navigation. Some models have two DVD drives (one for playing DVDs and the other to hold a DVD navigation disk). The double-din devices fit into your Z’s double-din space, and they are all touch-screen devices. The advantage of a double-din device in the Z is its location as a touch-screen (immediately in front of the shift level so the device is very accessible). The disadvantage is this location is lower than what drivers can comfortable view while the car is in motion. The driver must scan down a ways to see a double-din screen in the Z. There is another disadvantage of double-din navigation devices. These units are “all-in-one boxes” that have a power supply and a processor, and they get hot. So they need a fan. The fan creates noise, and in the Z it is right there by the driver and passenger (the listener). That is not a good arrangement. Examples of double-din navigations devices are the Pioneer ACIC series and the Eclipse AVN series.

(3) Hide-away devices that output to remote screen is a very attractive option because this arrangement allows you to install a screen in the otherwise worthless upper/forward cubby in your Z. “Paul350Z” has generously documented this installation with pictures and instructions available on this Forum. Paul did such a good job describing the installation that even a neophyte can accomplish this. The upper/forward cubby is the best position for a driver to view a GPS screen. Your view is nearly in line with the road so you are not scanning down to the previously mentioned double-din location. The hide-away is a “black-box” you mount anywhere in the Z (probably the best location is the small cubby behind the driver’s seat where you have access to the device and keep it level which is important). The ideal way to run your navigation is via a touch screen, but there is a caveat with the hide-away units with a monitor installed in the upper/forward cubby of the Z. Paul’s installation uses a Fahrenheit monitor that does not support touch-screen function, but you can drive this monitor with a remote control and the Garmin GVN 52 (that has an rf remote control). That works great, but you have two remotes, one to control the monitor and the other to control the Garmin hide-away GPS unit. “The Tech” (a member on this Forum) is working toward a solution using the Kenwood KNA-G520 Navigation Unit (the Kenwood version of the Garmin GVN 52) with the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor (a touch-screen device). I have a great deal of confidence in “The Tech” and he has my best wishes for his project. Another hide-away product is the Alpine solution that also uses a touch-screen. But the Alpine product is expensive (Alpine wisely connected with Chrysler and the product commands a high price), and although the Alpine monitor also fits the Z’s upper/forward cubby, its controls may not be accessible with this installation.

So… did I confuse this completely? I know that I am very confused.

“Paul350Z” has described a solution that works using the upper cubby for video and navigation without touch-screen support. My bet is that “The Tech” will also come up with something that allows us to use a touch-screen monitor in the Z’s upper/forward cubby. There is probably an Alpine solution for the upper/forward cubby out there as well.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 12-21-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:32 AM
THE TECH

Search!!
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2006, 07:31 AM
azula

Originally Posted by Spike100
Hi,

I read your question and would like to offer this response.

You have three choices:
(1) All-in-one transportable devices
(2) Double Din devices with flip down screens accessing a DVD slot (and optional HD)
(3) Hide-away devices that output to remote screen

(1) All-in- One Transportable devices
Typically these are GPS devices (e.g., Garmin, Magellan, Alpine, etc.) that are self-contained and have 3.5 LCD screens (sometimes larger screens as is the case with the Garmin Nuvi 660 witch is a 4.5 screen). You put these devices into your upper/forward cubby in the Z. They receive power from your cigarette lighter or other 12 volt power plug-in, or you can hard-wire to the ignition. These units always have built-in antennas, but you can also connect an external antenna when if you need better reception. The advantage is you can move the device between different cars, or take it with you when you leave the car and travel streets on foot in unknown cities or areas. The premier products in this class are Garmin, Magellan, and Alpine.

(2) Double Din Devices have large (7”) screens that flip to expose a DVD/CD drive. The upper end devices have hard drives as well. These devices always have a DVD/CD drive, and the high-end models in the line have hard disk drives where you can store your GPS data as well as MP3 files. High end models will write DVDs (+, -, and/or RAM disks), download mp3 files, and play DVDs. The high-end models that store navigation on a HD provide faster navigation than the DVD-only devices that require a DVD in the drive to perform navigation. Some models have two DVD drives (one for playing DVDs and the other to hold a DVD navigation disk). The double-din devices fit into your Z’s double-din space, and they are all touch-screen devices. The advantage of a double-din device in the Z is its location as a touch-screen (immediately in front of the shift level so the device is very accessible). The disadvantage is this location is lower than what drivers can comfortable view while the car is in motion. The driver must scan down a ways to see a double-din screen in the Z. There is another disadvantage of double-din navigation devices. These units are “all-in-one boxes” that have a power supply and a processor, and they get hot. So they need a fan. The fan creates noise, and in the Z it is right there by the driver and passenger (the listener). That is not a good arrangement. Examples of double-din navigations devices are the Pioneer ACIC series and the Eclipse AVN series.

(3) Hide-away devices that output to remote screen is a very attractive option because this arrangement allows you to install a screen in the otherwise worthless upper/forward cubby in your Z. “Paul350Z” has generously documented this installation with pictures and instructions available on this Forum. Paul did such a good job describing the installation that even a neophyte can accomplish this. The upper/forward cubby is the best position for a driver to view a GPS screen. Your view is nearly in line with the road so you are not scanning down to the previously mentioned double-din location. The hide-away is a “black-box” you mount anywhere in the Z (probably the best location is the small cubby behind the driver’s seat where you have access to the device and keep it level which is important). The ideal way to run your navigation is via a touch screen, but there is a caveat with the hide-away units with a monitor installed in the upper/forward cubby of the Z. Paul’s installation uses a Fahrenheit monitor that does not support touch-screen function, but you can drive this monitor with a remote control and the Garmin GVN 52 (that has an rf remote control). That works great, but you have two remotes, one to control the monitor and the other to control the Garmin hide-away GPS unit. “The Tech” (a member on this Forum) is working toward a solution using the Kenwood KNA-G520 Navigation Unit (the Kenwood version of the Garmin GVN 52) with the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor (a touch-screen device). I have a great deal of confidence in “The Tech” and he has my best wishes for his project. Another hide-away product is the Alpine solution that also uses a touch-screen. But the Alpine product is expensive (Alpine wisely connected with Chrysler and the product commands a high price), and although the Alpine monitor also fits the Z’s upper/forward cubby, its controls may not be accessible with this installation.

So… did I confuse this completely? I know that I am very confused.

“Paul350Z” has described a solution that works using the upper cubby for video and navigation without touch-screen support. My bet is that “The Tech” will also come up with something that allows us to use a touch-screen monitor in the Z’s upper/forward cubby. There is probably an Alpine solution for the upper/forward cubby out there as well.

--Spike

GREAT write up man, but I thought the kenwood nav set up was already in effect? it hasn't been done yet?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:59 AM
THE TECH

I'm just waiting for my LZ-702W to get here to get this going.