Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Amp Question for you Audiophiles

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 07:20 AM
savvy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp Question for you Audiophiles

I'm in the process of piecing together a new sound system and need some help choosing amps. Here are my requirements: (pretty simple)

VERY clean 4 channel power
minimum 100W x 4 @ 4ohm

I will be running 2 sets of Focal K2P's. These speakers have the potential to sound unreal but need the proper amp to run them. Does anyone have any recommendations on amps that will give me the quality sound and power I am looking for? Price is not that important as long as its not something outrageous
Old 12-29-2006, 08:02 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does a Zapco REF1000.4 grab you?

$660 4 x 150 watts at 4 ohms.

It is a bit large at 23" across so that thing is goign to be mounted exposed somewhere.

I you've got deeper pockets have a look at the Zapco C2K-4.0X at $1310.

I've been a big fan of Zapco for 30 years.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:50 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, in the nd there arent that many amps that are THAT big out there to be honest, are you going to run TWO sets upfront? or one in the back, seems like a bit of overkill to do a k2p in the back location...

if you are looking for ultra clean power and at your power ratings, i suggest going with two two channel amps...

the DLS reference and ultiamte line is definetly up there in terms of clarity, second to none...

something like a RA20 2x100, or heck if you are really serious, ultimate A3 Dual mono, VERY conservatively rated at 2x100..you would be talking serious SQ and headroom...and with a dual mono amp obviously stereo seprattion would be awesome as well

but if you are stuck on a 4 channel and of extremely high quality, TRU and Brax are two that comes to mind

b
Old 12-29-2006, 08:58 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by savvy
I'm in the process of piecing together a new sound system and need some help choosing amps. Here are my requirements: (pretty simple)

VERY clean 4 channel power
minimum 100W x 4 @ 4ohm

I will be running 2 sets of Focal K2P's. These speakers have the potential to sound unreal but need the proper amp to run them. Does anyone have any recommendations on amps that will give me the quality sound and power I am looking for? Price is not that important as long as its not something outrageous

you know it is all how it sounds to you

i am an RF fan

though i like Zapco as well

i do like kicker but really just L7 and solo x

but you can get a
RF PUNCH # p450.4 ,73 x 4 @ 4ohms , 122 x 4 @ 2 ohms
RF POWER # t4004 ,90 x 4 @ 4 ohms , 137 x 4 @ 2 ohms

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7044.html punch $220

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7544.html power $290

well priced clean power

i deal with sonic they are reputable

peace
Old 12-29-2006, 09:08 AM
savvy

thanks for the reply's guys. I would certainly consider running 2 seperate 2 channel amps but I don't think I could justify the added cost or running all those mono amps.
I will be running one set up front and one set in the rear. I know that is probably overkill for the rears but when I heard the speaker I just could not bring myself to mix that high quality of sound with something much less, so I ended up buying 2 pairs.
I was looking at the Alpine F545 and the Eclipse XA4000. Both have 125x4 @4ohm with THD at <1%. This is my first system where I had sound quality as top priority so I never really got to know much about the high quality amps.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:12 AM
savvy

Originally Posted by 350zspl

i deal with sonic they are reputable

I actually just installed a Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS last night that i ordered from sonicelectronix. They were very smooth, shipped next day, well packaged, quickly received tracking number, and even sent me a follow up email saying that I should have received my deck by now and if I was happy with it. A+ service right there.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:17 AM
350zspl
Banned

Originally Posted by savvy
I actually just installed a Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS last night that i ordered from sonicelectronix. They were very smooth, shipped next day, well packaged, quickly received tracking number, and even sent me a follow up email saying that I should have received my deck by now and if I was happy with it. A+ service right there.

sonic is very competitive on their price

it is worry free shopping
Old 12-29-2006, 03:43 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just to let you know, the dual mono amp is a single amp, two channel, just have two completely seprate boards, power supplies etc...so its acutlaly two amps in one chasis

but based on your selections, you are most likely right, those would be a bit out of the price range

b
Old 12-29-2006, 05:21 PM
JimRHIT

Pheonix Gold M44 ... old school triple darlington SQ cheater amp.

I benched mine a 104 x 4 into 4 ohms.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:36 PM
eat rice z33

whats up i though DLS was good audio. Im looking at the specs and this is anything but sub par. i mean 0.1% THD? thats nothing impressive
Old 12-29-2006, 06:43 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by eat rice z33
whats up i though DLS was good audio. Im looking at the specs and this is anything but sub par. i mean 0.1% THD? thats nothing impressive
Don't get too caught up in THD specs. I have not met anyone who can detect even 1%THD in a recording. I have a test CD that has recordings at different distortion levels.

My measure of a good amp is one that states it's power output in terms of "xxWRMS from 20HZ to 20 KHZ, all channels driven, and at a stated voltage range (9 volts - 16 volts)"

Also a good amp WILL DOUBLE it's rated 4-ohm power when driving a two-ohm load - This is physics. If it can't double it's power into half of the rated impedence, they are using a current limiting design to make up for shortcomings, such as an inadequate power supply.

Personally, I love the old Precision Power powerclass series amps. (1998-2000, I think)

But most of the stated brands here are good...

You did not mention the configuration you intend. Will the 4-ch amp run two sets of focals and then you'll have a second amp to power subs? Will you use subs? What are your plans?

I would recommend NOT using rear speakers at all. Two fronts and a sub. Subs do not have to be large. even a quality 6.5" sub will out-perform the bose POS 10" sub. Unless your goal is loudness versus sound quality. But some people like being "enveloped" in sound; thus 4-channels, even though loudness is not a goal. It's all good. I am just not sure what your goals are.

Last edited by hiz-n-herz; 12-29-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:54 PM
eat rice z33

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
Don't get too caught up in THD specs. I have not met anyone who can detect even 1%THD in a recording. I have a test CD that has recordings at different distortion levels.

My measure of a good amp is one that states it's power output in terms of "xxWRMS from 20HZ to 20 KHZ, all channels driven, and at a stated voltage range (9 volts - 16 volts)"

Also a good amp WILL DOUBLE it's rated 4-ohm power when driving a two-ohm load - This is physics. If it can't double it's power into half of the rated impedence, they are using a current limiting design to make up for shortcomings, such as an inadequate power supply.

Personally, I love the old Precision Power powerclass series amps. (1998-2000, I think)

But most of the stated brands here are good...

You did not mention the configuration you intend. Will the 4-ch amp run two sets of focals and then you'll have a second amp to power subs? Will you use subs? What are your plans?

I would recommend NOT using rear speakers at all. Two fronts and a sub. Subs do not have to be large. even a quality 6.5" sub will out-perform the bose POS 10" sub. Unless your goal is loudness versus sound quality. But some people like being "enveloped" in sound; thus 4-channels, even though loudness is not a goal. It's all good. I am just not sure what your goals are.
thanks for the explanation but i am very familiar with amplifier rating design and performance as i have been in car audio for many years and i am a fourth year electrical engineering student. Although THD is not a precise rating of quality it is indeed a very nice insight into the quality of an amps architectutre and MOS quality. I agree with your statement however ohm load, frequency range and power usage are just some aspects. although you cant neccesarily hear the difference with a 4 ohm load at normal volume, you will if you try a <1 ohm load at high volume. Overall i am not impressed with DLS thats all im saying.
EDIT: i just took a look at some pricing and honestly its not a rip off there priced fairly for there performance.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:14 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by eat rice z33
thanks for the explanation but i am very familiar with amplifier rating design and performance as i have been in car audio for many years and i am a fourth year electrical engineering student.
EE FTW!

EE is on my list of things to do...

I love people who can get past the hype of the latest A/V buzzwords and can tell what manufacturers are really doing or selling. (Component video versus DVI Versus HDMI kind of stuff)

I had a guy once tell me that his new $300.00 digital coaxial cable from his CD player to his D/A converter sounds much better than his old TOS-link fiber optic cable that was serving in the same capacity. What? "Crisper highs and tighter bass"

Tried to explain how distortion in the digital domain effects sound in the analog domain as long as the digital receiver RSL was above threshold and he was not hearing it. If we can't educate them, we'll sell them a $300 digital coaxial cable.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:29 PM
eat rice z33

HAHAHA yeah i love it when people try to ask me why expensive amplifers use "tubes of vacum". Ugh when will people learn but your right untill then well just sell them that 500 dollar AVI monster cable LOL
Old 12-29-2006, 08:25 PM
lefty6778

I use xtant amps but still like the Zapcos and the old PPI's before they started painting them black; somewhere around .05%THD let us know what you use and how it turns out.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:52 PM
savvy

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz

Yes my config will be the 4 channel amp to run the 4 speakers and a seperate amp to run the sub. That brings me to another question. I'm not one for huge loud bass, but I want something that will hit low enough to sound great. Do you think an 8w7 will be able to hit low enough to not sound like its just a midbass sub?
Old 01-02-2007, 05:35 AM
350zspl
Banned

IMO 8 " is a beefy mid range sub

making tight bass

i never was suprised by an 8" hitting low , and said wow only an 8 in there
Old 01-02-2007, 05:46 AM
savvy

So you would advise going with the 10w7 rather than the 8? The 10 really hits that much lower?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:15 AM
StreetOC192

For a true rated, no frills, no "paying for the name" amp, look into ZED Audio. The guy that designs these was the guy who designed the old HiFonics amps (when HiFonics was top-notch stuff) along with many other top brands from back in the day, like Alphasonik, Boss, Crunch, Planet Audio, Autotek, Rodek, Lanzar, and Nakamichi.

http://www.zedaudio.com/

The Draconia does a typical output at 14.4 volts of 95x4.

Last edited by StreetOC192; 01-02-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:36 AM
StreetOC192

Also look into TRU Technologies: http://www.trutechnology.com/

The B-4100 is rated 100x4

Quick Reply: Amp Question for you Audiophiles