Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Who has a pic of a portable GPS-NAV mounted in the cubby?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by THE TECH
I looked at Paul's write-up again this morning. It had been a while since I saw it. I did see that it was a simple and easy install. I did already know that he removed the rear part to install the screen. In my second to last post above, I was showing the different size screens out there in a Garmin based standalone unit to compare with the Farenheit unit. As you can see, it seems that the Street Pilot 7200/7500 should be able to fit in the same way as the Farenheit one does and you don't need to worry about getting two different units to do navigation. This is what I like a lot. If I wanted to, I could already hook the G510 to my existing DDX-8017, but I wanted to be able to have navi separate from video or music, etc. The other thing that is great about a standalone Garmin unit is that there aren't tons of wires or different boxes that need install.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to accomplish with your install Spike, but me doing the Kenwood route was for navi only, that's why when you pointed out the fact that the LZ-702W wouldn't fit and have the controls accessible to it, that I started thinking about another route.
We are certainly on the same page, and thinking the same way. I really wanted to do a touch-screen monitor in the forward/upper cubby space. But, I cannot see how to do this without making some significant compromises on the GPS system I wanted to use and the physical installation itself. I couldn’t get it all together the way I wanted with a touch-screen system.

Answering your question: “I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to accomplish with your install Spike?” … here is what I am doing for now:

1) Farenheit T-7001MHR in the upper/forward cubby space (as per Paul’s specifications and instructions).
2) Garmin GVN 52 GPS unit mounted in the cubby space behind the driver’s seat, and connecting this to the Farenheit screen to display the GPS output.
3) Farenheit or Power Acoustik rearview camera mounted on the rear license frame connected to the secondary input on Farenheit screen and reverse sensor for automatic display when backing-up, or selected display whenever via the Farenheit remote control.
4) DVD player mounted in the cubby space behind the passenger seat. That way I can play DVD’s on the very good Farenheit screen that will connect (and share) the second screen connection on the Farenheit with rear camera.

I already have a very good single-DIN style Clarion HU (set in a Metra bezel) with an external amp. Since the Farenheit and the Garmin have remote controls (and I have another for the Clarion), I need the open lower compartment of the Double-DIN compartment to hold my 3 remotes. Wow… almost as bad as my coffee table in the living room where I have remotes for the plasma TV, the DVD player, the tape player, and the 5.1 receiver.

I will do pictures during the install, do a write-up, and post it all. I hope to start in a couple of weeks and get it done by at least the end of February. The only obstacle will be winter weather (can’t drive the Z to the installer if we get snow).

I appreciate your feedback and updates on your touch-screen and navigation efforts. --Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 01-09-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:27 PM
dextera014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

…Any particular reason you went with the Nuvi 350 instead of the 660? --Spike[/QUOTE]

mainly price, don't really need the bluetooth (already have a headset), and the size and portability, i can easily carry it in my pocket
Old 01-10-2007, 06:33 AM
Z1truth

Hey Spike.....does the Garmin GVN 52 GPS unit have rca outs to go to the Farenheit screen ?
Old 01-10-2007, 06:36 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by Z1truth
Hey Spike.....does the Garmin GVN 52 GPS unit have rca outs to go to the Farenheit screen ?
Yes, that's why he's using it. You can use that one or the KNA-G510 which I now have for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Spike100

Yes, The Garmin GVN 52 GPS hide-away box uses RCA connectors, and it connects perfectly to the Farenheit Screen. My preliminary tests (done outside the car and not installed yet) show this to be a great marriage. In fact I am surprised because the Farenheit is not expensive, but outputs a great image. It’s the one for the “value-man.”

I am testing the Farenheit T-7001MHR, which as two separate RCA inputs (supporting two devices using the remote control that toggles between the two sources). You could also use the Farenheit T-7000MHR or the Power Acoustik PT-700MHR which are identical in every way except these monitors only support a single input. They all connect to the source using RCA connectors. Actually you could use the single source Farenheit’s and Power Acoustik’s monitors and still connect multiple input devices. To do this, you only need to add an A/B switch (or even A/B/C switch) to your RCA connection lines instead of using the RF remote to switch screens. There is really no limit to the number of devices you can connect.

IMPORTANT: You cannot connect a Farenheit screen (or for that matter, any screen that is not a Kenwood brand touch-screen monitor) to the Kenwood KNA-G510 navigation device. This device (the Kenwood KNA-G510) is nearly identical to the Garmin GVN 52, but the Kenwood version has a different wiring harness that “expects” a connection to a Kenwood hide-away box connected to a Kenwood brand touch-screen monitor.

--Spike
Old 01-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by THE TECH
Yes, that's why he's using it. You can use that one or the KNA-G510 which I now have for sale if anyone is interested.
I would only point out that the Kenwood KNA-G510 will NOT work with the Farenheit monitor.

--Spike
Old 01-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by dextera014
…Any particular reason you went with the Nuvi 350 instead of the 660? --Spike
mainly price, don't really need the bluetooth (already have a headset), and the size and portability, i can easily carry it in my pocket[/QUOTE]
=========================
Good points. You understand. I think you made the right choice based upon your parameters. I agree with your portability choice. The Nuvi 660 is just a little bit large when you carry it in your pocket while the Nuvi 350 fits very well. The Nuvi 660 seemed a little small as a built-in device (compared to 6.5" to 7" screens built-in the car and not transportable) and a little too big as a transportable device. Cost is certainly a factor.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

(Edited today just to separate the Quote from the response) --Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 01-10-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Z1truth

Spike ......you are doing what I want to do, EXACTLY! How do you navagate the Nav if you don't use a touch screen????? Remote control????

WOW! I just found the Garmin GVN 52 GPS for $447 ! Not bad since most want it for $599.00. What did you pay Spike??????

Last edited by Z1truth; 01-10-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Spike100

Spike ......you are doing what I want to do, EXACTLY! How do you navagate the Nav if you don't use a touch screen????? Remote control????

WOW! I just found the Garmin GVN 52 GPS for $447 ! Not bad since most want it for $599.00. What did you pay Spike??????
The Garmin GVN uses a RF remote to drive the navigation system. The remote has a track-ball and some other keys that allow you to make on-screen selections.

$447 is a great price for the Garmin GVN 52. --Spike
============================
EDIT (missed the last question -- I paid $500)

SECOND EDIT ( Make sure you are getting the Garmin GVN 52 and not the Kenwood KNA-G510 for the $447 since the Kenwood KNA-G510 won't work with the Farenheit.)

Last edited by Spike100; 01-10-2007 at 08:35 PM.