Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

What is the deal with Image Dynamics, Elemental Designs, and DLS???

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 06:45 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no worries man...

Trust me i have been in this industry long enough as an installer, store owner, rep to see a lot of crap and have a general overall feeling about the whole thing.

I have dropped a lot of brands over the years so i am definetly not blindly loyal to a certain product if they really do have a lot of problems.

these problems range from poor quality, crappy service and warranties, rude reps, flooding the market by selling to transshipers and junk distributors, etc etc...

So if you take into account all these, i do think it says a lot when I am loytal to ED. Honestly, their margins arent the best for a dealer like me compared to most other brands, their local recognition isnt the best...so in other words, i could be making more money by selling another brand. but i am loyal cuase they do it right, their products perform well, competes well in value, and their serivce is top notch.

and as far as flooding the market goes, they only sell through their web direct store, and ebay only for B-stock items. thats it...i could go on and on about the difference between them and boss, pyramid etc...but i think people would get bored...

anyway, thats enough of this thread haha...cheers
Old 02-15-2007, 06:53 AM
umzzz
Cwest Army

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a full elemental design/image dynamics system in my z and couldnt be happier. 2 elemental design amps powering a set of elemental design front comps and an image dynamics sub. sounds great and i havent had one single problem with any of the components. solid equipment at a good price hard to go wrong with that
Old 02-15-2007, 06:11 PM
skyydiver

I have enjoyed the banter...lots of good opinions and some pretty good facts. Keep it up fellas. Still waiting to hear about DLS...anyone out there using there products? Opinions?

Thanks,

-J
Old 02-15-2007, 06:28 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

hey bud, go to my website: www.simplicityinsound.com

go into the install gallery, you will find a quite a bit of Zs and Gs with DLS gear, i would say 90 percent of them have it...click on those pics and it will link you to the posts...and some of htem have customer feedback

gosh tahts gotta be two dozen Zs and Gs running around locally that i have put some DLS gear into

if you really want specific references, PM me, i can send you some names...

b
Old 02-15-2007, 06:33 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by skyydiver
I have enjoyed the banter...lots of good opinions and some pretty good facts. Keep it up fellas. Still waiting to hear about DLS...anyone out there using there products? Opinions?

Thanks,

-J
I've heard the DLS's and they are pretty good to my ears, I also like the eD components as well, and you can't really beat the price. I just HATE the DLS grills
Old 02-15-2007, 06:35 PM
skyydiver

Damn B...you are a DLS pimping fool! I love it! But I am hoping some of those people will chime in here.

Hey, quick question for ya...I understand that having a high dampening factor is important. The classic series has 100...the reference and ultimate have 200. Elemental Designs amps have 300.

Can you expound on the importance of dampening factor, what it does and why Elemental Designs have such a high one. I know when we have talked offline, you have strongly recommended the DLS Classic series, but they have the lowest Dampening Factor.

As always, thanks a million B.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:23 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

damping factor, or commonly called controllabilty, is osmeting i dont get why its a big deal. all speakres have a damping factor inherent to them that is MUCh lower than most amps...so what ever the system's total damping factor is automatically lowered to the lowest chain, in this case being the speaker...

also, damping factor seems to be measured somewhat differently by different manufactueres.

its not someting i really dwell on, infact, i care very little about the amps specs, or most specs in general...i let my ears be the judge.

i have simply seen too many products that spec awesomely and perform horribly
Old 02-16-2007, 01:35 PM
dtak59

The bigger the speaker/sub, the more important the damping factor is. I think the zapco website kinda will give you a brief runthrough of the different amp terminology. But yeah, there are other things that make an amp sound better even though the damping factor is not as high.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:19 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

take for one, a tube amp spec those damping factors! :O
Old 02-16-2007, 07:30 PM
dtak59

Aren't tube amps used more for non-subwoofer (for lack of better term) applications? Not only because of their low damping factor but because they do not generate as much power as solid state amps? I may be completely wrong because I have never dealt with tube amps. But for higher frequency drivers, anything over 200 should be good enough.

Last edited by dtak59; 02-16-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:37 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

yeah, tube amps are for mid high drivers...its funny cuase most of the guys who talk about damping factor speak about hte importance of having it in the mid/high amp...subwoofers usually arent as important, thats why they can get away wtih Class D amps for subs even though they have lower damping factors than class A or A/B usually...

but who knows lol i dont care much about the specs...
Old 02-17-2007, 02:15 AM
dtak59

Class D's are usually used for sub applications because they typically dont have the frequency response as A/B amps and because they are more efficient. Efficiency is important, especially since people like to run 500+ watts to their subs and usually not more than 100 watts/ch on their mids/highs.