Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Nav "OK" bypass

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:03 PM
coolblue830

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav "OK" bypass

Has anyone tried the Nav "OK" bypass module from KP Technologies? I bought one and brought it over to my stereo/alarm place and the guys there couldn't figure out where the wire was that controlled the button for "ok" on the '06 oem nav. Can anyone that did this before give me any hints to give them?
Old 02-16-2007, 07:06 PM
KPierson
Banned

You need to access that back of the circuit board that houses the 'OK' button. You should find a group of solder pads in a circular configuration, surounding the 'OK' button.

Then, find a good ground on the circuit board. Typically, all the screws that mount the circuit board have a ground connection around the hole. Place one side of an ohm meter to the ground and then individually test each of the pads in the circular arrangement surrounding the 'OK' button. Test the pad with the OK button not pushed and pushed. Not pushed the meter should read OL or infinity, and pushed it should read 0ohms (or very close to it).

If that doesn't work, we once had a guy who soldered pigtails to all the connections around the 'ok' button and ran them down his dashboard. He then put the entire console back together and at the 'ok' screen he pulsed each wire to ground until the screen disapeared. I don't recomend this method at all (as it could lead to damage) but it worked for him.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:26 PM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not go on KP's forum and ask Kevin himslef. He will respond back pretty quickly. I have purchased several of his modules and have had nothing but positive experiences.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:43 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

it takes 2 seconds to hit ok
Old 02-16-2007, 08:01 PM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by z350boy
Why not go on KP's forum and ask Kevin himslef. He will respond back pretty quickly. I have purchased several of his modules and have had nothing but positive experiences.
Was my 2 hour and 3 minute response time on this forum not fast enough????????
Old 02-16-2007, 08:32 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-16-2007, 10:43 PM
coolblue830

Originally Posted by KPierson
You need to access that back of the circuit board that houses the 'OK' button. You should find a group of solder pads in a circular configuration, surounding the 'OK' button.

Then, find a good ground on the circuit board. Typically, all the screws that mount the circuit board have a ground connection around the hole. Place one side of an ohm meter to the ground and then individually test each of the pads in the circular arrangement surrounding the 'OK' button. Test the pad with the OK button not pushed and pushed. Not pushed the meter should read OL or infinity, and pushed it should read 0ohms (or very close to it).

If that doesn't work, we once had a guy who soldered pigtails to all the connections around the 'ok' button and ran them down his dashboard. He then put the entire console back together and at the 'ok' screen he pulsed each wire to ground until the screen disapeared. I don't recomend this method at all (as it could lead to damage) but it worked for him.

Hmm ok I'll run the first thing by the guys at the shop, if not I suppose $50 isn't too much of a loss

And yeah, it's not too much trouble to press ok, but it is annoying and I figured $50 wasn't too much to give it a try.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:54 PM
KPierson
Banned

If they can't figure it out you can always return it.

Check out this post for a picture of what the back of the G35 navi board looks like. It should be almost identical on the Z.

http://www.kptechnologies.com/forums...opic.php?t=110
Old 02-16-2007, 10:57 PM
coolblue830

Yeah I think they saw that and said it didn't look like that back there 'cause they were at it all day and was going through your site and forums and researching online for me and still came up empty. I know the owner of the shop so I know he's not messing with me. Wasn't even gonna charge me for labor even though they were on it all day long 'cause he was interested in one himself.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:54 AM
z350boy
Banned

Originally Posted by KPierson
Was my 2 hour and 3 minute response time on this forum not fast enough????????
DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't realize that was you Kevin. Just trying to represent.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:55 AM
fordslowcus

Originally Posted by r0mey
it takes 2 seconds to hit ok
I second that. #1 it takes money away from something else you can add to your car. #2 theres always that risk of messing something up. #3 are you really willing to take about an hr or two...installing this when you can take a second or two leaning over and clicking?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:57 AM
coolblue830

Well.. the way I saw it was, #1 $50... it's not like I was gonna be ordering a bodykit or my new exhaust or rims with that. #2 the shop I'm doing it at is really careful and I personally know the owner of the shop and he was very interested in getting it to work 'cause he wanted one too #3 all those seconds add up because I need to do it every single time I start the car for all the years I'm gonna have my car vs. the few hours it would take to just install it.

Like I said, $50 wasn't bad to try something out that if it worked would be a great timesaver, why not? Stuff like power locks, power windows, hatch release , all those little things are timesavers...
Old 02-17-2007, 04:20 PM
KPierson
Banned

I actually get frustrated with pressing the 'OK' button every time. Is it the worst thing ever? No. But do I enjoy having one less thing to worry about? Yes.

Also, once the module is installed it gives you the ability to enter data while the car is moving, so it is possible to have more then just the 'ok' benefit. You could also use the module to switch between the Navi screen and a DVD player, if you have a DVD player and converted installed.

This module really isn't about saving time, it's about having one less thing to do every time you start the car.

1. start car
2. put seat belt on
3. press VDC button
4. Wait a few seconds for the navi to load, then press 'OK' button

Now, I only have to worry about one and two!
Old 02-19-2007, 07:31 AM
z350boy
Banned

I can tell you it DOES make a diffference!! I bought KP's autodoorlock module, that in conjunction with relays allow my doors to lock at a preset speed, and to relock if I open the door while the engine is running. For me this adds a level of security . It seems this falls under the category of mods that are seen but unseen. What I mean is the bodykits, BBK's and Wheels are the "bling" that everyone can see and they do improve performance to some degree, but mods IMO should not be geard towards improving performance alone; comfort,and safety are a part of the total package. Anything that helps the driver focus on the road is a good thing. I am modding my Z with the thought that everything will work together to make my driving expereince enjoyable and safe ( for me and my fellow drivers). Just my 2c.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:42 AM
coolblue830

Think I'm just gonna have this uninstalled this week, I had the other things of the module working all except for the main thing that I wanted in the first place which was the "OK" bypass. One question tho regarding the entering nav input while driving, is all this did was to disable the speed sensor?

The guys that did the install said the speed sensor was disabled to allow me to input, but I wasn't sure if that was something that the module did or just something the installers did themselves as their own fix 'cause I mentioned inputting nav while driving. Currently my speed sensor (the mph on the selectable gauge) and my analog speedometer aren't working. Plus side is my mileage is not going up... but I'd rather not be doing anything shady like this just for the ability to input nav while moving...
Old 02-20-2007, 12:58 PM
KPierson
Banned

You module hasn't been installed correctly, and I'm not sure how/what they did to mess up your speed displays up. Whatever they did, I would ask them to undo it immediately!

The module must be hooked up to the 'OK' button in order for ANY part of the module to work properly. Once it is installed correctly you must press the 'OK' button twice quickly to allow for input while driving. While interuppting the speed sensor the module will ONLY interupt the speed signal going to the navi unit. All other speed signals (guages) will work normally.

Were you able to get a picture of the circuit board? Also, did you see the posts I made on the KPtech support forum with pictures? This module shouldn't be difficult at all for a professional shop to install, so I'm a little puzzled as to why they are having issues.

If you want, PM me the installers name and contact info and I can give him a call and see if we can get this figured out. Again, your module isn't installed correctly at all.

Does your Navi still work at all? If the speed sensor is disconnected it won't track your position correctly. It's possible that they've grounded out the speed sensor which may lead to the problems you are having.

You should question them as to what they did to your car, and exactly how they did it. Ask them to draw it out on paper so you know what changes they've made.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:32 PM
coolblue830

Nah I haven't taken pictures since I figure this is a bit more trouble than I originally intended. I do drive around a lot and basically they were working on it for like a whole day before and I'm not really looking forward to another whole day or more without a ride. I wouldn't be paying for the labor, but friend who owns the shop would, but I still rather just leave it as annoying as it is now. But yeah the gps seems to work fine, just wasn't sure if the speedometer thing was something from the module or something else since they told me they got everything connected from the module except for the actual ok bypass.

On the pictures tho, what nav is that picture from? I've seen the nav layout on g35's and it looks totally different than the buttons on the Z, and even on pre-06 Z's the button layout is different than the 2006 Z.

Last edited by coolblue830; 02-20-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:12 PM
KPierson
Banned

The button layout isn't really important, its the 'joystick' that matters. One picture is from an '04ish G35 and the other is from an FX35 maybe? As I said on the KPtech forum, the Joystick pads should be arranged in a circular fashion, with most likely 12 total pads. There are 8 pads for directions (2 each - left, right, up and down), 2 mounting pads, and 2 'OK' pads.

The directional pads are black, the mounting pads are purple, and the 'ok' switch is green. This will narrow it down to two pins, at which point you could try each of them if you still arn't sure.

If you could have them snap a picture of it and post it on here we could probably narrow it down. It shouldn't take more then a few mintues for them to find the right pad.

The Navi system uses the VSS signal to move your car through the screens, it actually doesn't rely on GPS for real time positioning. It's very odd that speedo isn't working but your navi position is. If I remember correctly, the speedo is actually controlled by the ABS module and is based off of actual wheel speed. The VSS signal is then derived off of that.

I just realized that my last 'edit' to the post didn't actually post. Take a look at the thread again, as it actually kind of makes sense now - http://www.kptechnologies.com/forums...hp?p=1444#1444
Old 04-16-2008, 04:19 PM
daburch

Default Help removing button pack

Can anyone tell me how to remove the button pack? I'm trying to pull the dash console and don't know how to get to the screws behind the nav display.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:07 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old thread pointless post!