Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Upgrading the base audio system

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 07:39 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading the base audio system

I wonder if someone can give me advice or opinions on a good first step in updating the base (non-Bose) stereo. I'm not an audiophile but my ears are good enough to detect that the base system sounds terrible. I am wondering which of the following routes you would recommend as a first step to improving the sound:

1) Just change the speakers, and leave the stock HU. (Maybe upgrade more in the future)

2) Change the speakers and the HU (I was thinking about the Alpine CDA-9807 CD/MP3/WMA receiver).

3) Change the speakers, keep the stock HU but add an amp (and maybe a sub too?)

I want to get the best bang for the buck and minimize installation hassles (doing it myself), so #1 really appeals to me. If just changing the speakers will make a big improvement, I can keep the nice integrated look of the stock HU.

Any ideas or opinions on this (preferable from experience)?

Also, how much do I need to spend on speakers to get a big improvement over stock? In the Crutchfield catalog, I see many 6.5" speakers (like Pioneer, Blaupunkt, Kenwood, Polk, Infinity, etc.) for $50-$70 per pair. That sounds cheap -- are these any good?

I know these are very general questions and impossible to answer definitively, but I am wondering if I can get a big improvement by something as simple as a cheap speaker-swap, or if I have to spend thousands on a custom install of amps and everything else. (I don't need it ear-splitting loud!)

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:16 AM
tonkadog

Default yup the base stereo is worse than the blose

I too had the base system and it is just terrible. From what I have read, speakers alone will not help much. I would suggest you look into a head unit and speakers. This is a straight forward, fairly easy upgrade and the results will be most noticable. Get the metra dash kit (not the best but the only one for the Z at this time) and the wiring harnesses and a couple of hours in the garage, you will be good to go!

If you replace just the speakers, your head unit will become the weak link. I had thought about your option 3 for myself, but then you have to worry about a line level converter or an amp that has one and then hacking into the wiring to get that hooked up right. I would rather get a head unit that has RCA outs and hook up an amp that way.

How much you spend, depends on how much you want to spend and what you feel is worth the cost. I would suggest taking some time and going to your local audio store and just look and listen. Look at the head units, listen to the speakers. Make the sales guy there run the speakers you like through the head unit you like. The idea is to try and listen to these items together before you get them home and in your car. It is by no means perfect, but you will have a better idea of what you will hear when you get it installed.

I have always been a big fan of Infinity's. This Z is the first car where I haven't used Infinity's. Check out the Reference series - good speakers for a decent price. I know I have rambled on, but one last thing, once you figure out what it is you want, do some searching on the web, chances are you will be able to find it a lot cheaper than at Crutchfield.

Good luck!!!
Old 04-07-2003, 08:48 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Default Re: yup the base stereo is worse than the blose

Thanks, this is really good info. I'll take your advice and listen at a shop instead of just ordering online and hoping for the best. It sounds like speakers and a new HU is the way to go, even though I'll lose the nicely integrated look of the stock system. At least I'll get MP3 capability to make up for it!