Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Audio suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 04:49 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yhea, have one from LA right now acutally i have had about 7 or 8 from LA and SD, some from Washington and las vegas the goal is to save money in the end, espeically for the LA customers hehe, which is only a 4.5 hour drive from me

b
Old 03-11-2007, 06:23 PM
roberto350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
there seems to be a lot of varied opinions on this thread, some are good, some are pretty far from the truth IMO...
By definition, an "opinion" cant be "far from the truth". I would already be dubious of your opinions as a customer. A retailer who talks about audio as definitives is mostly just an aggressive salesman.

One of the only "opinions" expressed here is the one concerning the w7 not being a good SQ sub. Yes this is my opinion. No Im not right, no you are not right.

People recommending Focals... again opinion. Right, wrong? No. The OP must make his own opinion by listening to them.

Rear fill? I hope you arent referring to this as the opinion that is "far from the truth." If so, we can talk physics in a different thread.

Im curious, which opinion is far from the truth?
Old 03-11-2007, 06:47 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Im curious, which opinion is far from the truth?
I was wondering that as well...

Do people use their HU's to power front speakers or should I get an amp for the sub and one for the fronts?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:13 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

ummm...i thought it was a little obvious hehe...

maybe the opinoin that for 1500 dollar budget, he is best served by geting a non amplified front component set? i would say this is pretty far from the truth... unless you believe a non-amplified component set really is the best way to go for that budget...in whcih case, i relaly dont know what to say

please dont feel that i was directing my reponse at you in anyway...i would liek to think that i give pretty objective and somehwat correct opinions on this forum...and never really try to put down opinions unless I feel they are really "far from the truth"...

beh, etiher way, no need to explain myself any more haha
Old 03-11-2007, 07:22 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Originally Posted by roberto350z
By definition, an "opinion" cant be "far from the truth".
acuatually, can you explain this one to me? semantics aside...why cant opinion be far from the truth? opinions, when based on misinformation, can infact be far from the truth...no?

simple example:

a man walks by a scene of an accident, where a souped up Z has hit headon a honda accord, he goes home, and using his past experience, forms this opinion and tell his friends "some kid in a hopped upZ, who was prolly racing or something, hit this guy in a honda...waht an idiot for cuasing htis accident, i wish he burn in hell...etc:

when infact the truth was, the accord driver was drunk, and cause the accident where as the Z was just driving normally..

would this man's opinion by "Far from the truth?"
Old 03-11-2007, 07:50 PM
roberto350z

acuatually, can you explain this one to me? semantics aside...why cant opinion be far from the truth? opinions, when based on misinformation, can infact be far from the truth...no?

simple example:

a man walks by a scene of an accident, where a souped up Z has hit headon a honda accord, he goes home, and using his past experience, forms this opinion and tell his friends "some kid in a hopped upZ, who was prolly racing or something, hit this guy in a honda...waht an idiot for cuasing htis accident, i wish he burn in hell...etc:

when infact the truth was, the accord driver was drunk, and cause the accident where as the Z was just driving normally..

would this man's opinion by "Far from the truth?"
I thought you said semantics aside...

Well, if Im as stupid about audio as that hypothetical guy is about the accident, then I can see your point, and you most definitely win.

As far as front amplification, maybe you CAN help me with install $. I have been installing before I had my own car, so I dont know the pricing. DOuble check this *opinion* and see if you concur...

front components (jl) $300
subwoofer (ID) $200
amplifier (mono block or two channel) (jl) $300
zenclosure (or materials/labor for making $150
wiring $50

I am pretty sure that the equipment estimate is close enough for govt work. Hopefully you agree.

Anyway, the total is $1000 so far. I am ALL FOR amplifying the fronts... but dont you think that you are being optimistic in thinking that you can install a head unit, amp rack, components, sub box, subwoofer, wire power AND include the extra price and wiring for 4 channels instead of 2 for only $500 bucks more? I mean, the higher priced amp alone adds $100-$150. You can do all that install for $350?!?!?

ps. for reference: my friends install was $5k https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/9506-nizl-s-pimp-stereo-system-sub-install.html
Old 03-11-2007, 07:57 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

i was under the impression that he was looking for equipment only, sans headunit, for 1500 dollars? thats how i read his initial post...maybe i am mistaken?

if he meant everything for 1500 bucks...then sorry i misread

i like your freinds install, as always

most of my Z installs on in the 2500-4000 total budget range , you can browse through my site in my sig for reference hehe

here is one i did that would be around 5k, if it wasnt for the avic Z1 that was used whcih pushed the price into the 6k range

Old 03-11-2007, 07:58 PM
702Fairlady

Bing (16psibrick) does amazing work in the Z. I know that one guy from vegas just brought his Z up there, dont know if it has come back yet. I believe the guys name is Mike. Havent got a chance to check it out yet but when I do it wil probably look pretty damn good

I would amplify the speakers in the front. Just for the fact that most headunits dont give you alot of the tuning capabilites that you would have on the amp. Gain controls/Tunning and such are very important when setting up a sound quality based system.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:07 PM
702Fairlady

Originally Posted by roberto350z
You can do all that install for $350?!?!?
Yes actually you can. I never read anything in this thread where he said he was going for a show quality install. So if he was to buy the Zenclosures with the amp rack he would be set. It would probably cost about 70 for the speaker install, and no more than 100 for an amplifier install. He could install the sub himself as long as he has a drill, and looked at the rockford fosgate website for how to wire in series or parallel. If hes going for a show install then yes it will cost more, but for a basic installation of speakers and an amplifier, it should not exceed $350.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:50 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

to me its a no brainer...an audio system is only as good as its weakest link...

if you you dont use an aftermarket amplifier to power spekares, your weakest link by far is the tiny chip producing power on your headunit. so you can get 10k speakres, and it will still sound horrible becuase the signal being sent to it from the headunit weak, unclean, not all that flat...etc etc...

in a sense like getting a souped up cars, with turbos, suspensions etc, and then deciding to run on 13" rims and 155 widths all season tires...

again, i was under the impression that he was asking for a ssytem that costs 1500 bucks in equipment alone, and without the headunit...

b
Old 03-11-2007, 09:58 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

again, i was under the impression that he was asking for a ssytem that costs 1500 bucks in equipment alone, and without the headunit...
b
thats correct.

wow this thread is a drama fest

Im not going for a show look, i'd like to keep the spare tire and use the least amount of trunk space possible I'm guessing Zenclosure would be the best bet? So I need a 2chan for the fronts and 1chan for the amp yes?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:02 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

cool, since you confirmed it...here is what iw ould do if a customer came to me and wanted to get a 1500 dollar system. I am not saying its hte only way to go of cousre, but it will sound pretty good IMO again, not selling it to you, just a sample of my opinion hehe

amplifer: DLS RA 51 5 channel - $400, using hte on baord filters to actively run the front component set, and send about 300 watts to the subwoofer(s)

speakers: DLS ultiamte UP6 6.5" comp set in kick panels -$600 package

subbox: wickedcas side mount fiberglass box for single 10 - $300?

sub: Image Dynamics ID10 - $125

misc wiring: $75

it wound be almost identical to this car:

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128938

b
Old 03-12-2007, 11:27 AM
roberto350z

amplifer: DLS RA 51 5 channel - $400, using hte on baord filters to actively run the front component set, and send about 300 watts to the subwoofer(s)

Looks good! I dont know DLS, so I always default to the jl audio ZR comps ($600) and 300/4 ($400). But I have always wanted slightly more for my $1000.

I have seen reference to DLS more than once now, so I assume i am behind the curve in amps and components. I saw another thread with someone looking for a retailer here in San Diego, and no one (except for a member) responded. I am intrigued because i am generally unhappy with all the speakers I have installed in my cars and/or heard in other cars:

I LOVE paradigm home audio... I LIKE Jl Audio, McIntosh and Dynaudio car speakers. I need car speakers to LOVE! Is DLS the answer, and how do I find out?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:32 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

the best way to describe DLS is smooth and warm. in terms of sound, we are similar to Morel in terms of car audio, morel and B&W interms of home...

www.dls.se

interms of sound quality, i dont wanna say much becuas as you know, its all relative to each listeners preference, but in the 2006 iasca world finals, team DLS wont 5 out of 8 classes in SQ
Old 03-12-2007, 01:18 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

sounds good, can you pm me a price on doing an install, i can supply the speakers/hu/wickedcas/sub
Old 03-12-2007, 02:06 PM
azula

Originally Posted by terrasmak
You need more money , your budget covers the head unit and a set of good front speakers. Just a little more $ , maybe $500 and get a set of rear 2 ways , a small amp and a 10 to throw in the factory placement.

that's a steal!
Old 03-20-2007, 03:47 PM
cvkatigbak

a/d/s front components ~ $500
rear 2 or 3 or 4 ways more or less $200
one amp for speakers $200+
subS. $300-$400
amp for subs $300+

around your budget
Old 03-20-2007, 06:26 PM
tattoo60012

My .02c, go for a set of nice speakers, one guy at an audio shop said it best to me after I told him the different models I was considering. "all the brands you are looking at will blow your mind when they are properly installed, tuned, and amplified, otherwise you may as well go out and buy whatever they sell at walmart" I don't know why I remember that quote but to say that it made sense to me. IMO front speakers only, whatever brand you like the best, or can get your hands on. Get the sub, it doesn't have to boom or "hit hard" to be useful and make everything else sound better. Amps, get a reliable name brand, and don't forget to give yourself a little dynamic headroom. (RMS of the amps is greater than the RMS the speakers require) Don't forget the sound deadening, you could easily blow your whole budget on deadening alone and not have a single speaker to show for it, but something is always better than nothing when it comes to deadening. Your car is loud, and IMO sounds "thin" despite it's obvious mass, quieting the car down a bit will help to showcase the rest of the money you spent creating your sound system.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:41 PM
JimRHIT

cool, since you confirmed it...here is what iw ould do if a customer came to me and wanted to get a 1500 dollar system. I am not saying its hte only way to go of cousre, but it will sound pretty good IMO again, not selling it to you, just a sample of my opinion hehe

it wound be almost identical to this car:

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128938

b
Buy that ... I'll install it for ya .. done deal.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:18 PM
twotonetrack

The best advice I can give you is don't put a sub in the factory behind-the-seat location. It is horrible for sound quality. I learned the hard way.

Quick Reply: Audio suggestions