Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Who kicks the hell out of there door pods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 09:37 AM
wtf no turbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who kicks the hell out of there door pods?

Just a question and maybe some suggestions on stopping this. Im thinking about cutting it down on a band saw and remolding it. Anyone else try this?

Nazar why did you make the so damn big?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:09 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wtf no turbo
Just a question and maybe some suggestions on stopping this. Im thinking about cutting it down on a band saw and remolding it. Anyone else try this?

Nazar why did you make the so damn big?

leave panel

cut feet
Old 03-14-2007, 10:29 AM
StreetOC192

I actually read a few complaints in the past about kicking the WickedCAS pods being a problem, so I hesitated buying them.....then Zenclosures made their 'slimmer' pods available and I jumped on them. Had them in for a week and haven't even come close to them with my feet.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:07 PM
drumminguy81

i kicked mine for about a week then got used to them.. dont hit them anymore..
Old 03-14-2007, 01:24 PM
tattoo60012

I liked the look of the Nazar pods, and the tweeter mounting of the Zenclosures pods. Neither really suited my needs so I molded custom pods that are slimmer than the Nazar pods and have a place to mount the tweeter. Total cost 1 pack of fiberglass mat $4.99, 1 gallong of Polyester Resin (which is too much) $30.99, 1 yard of fleece material $3.99, 1 quart of body filler $4.99, 1 chunk of MDF $free (scabbed off of an old waterbed) labor: 4 hours of moldind, sanding, shaping, cutting, bondoing, sanding and more sanding, 12 hours of itching, scratching, and wanting to crawl out of my skin. In the end I'm pretty happy, and they are slim enough that I don't think I will be kicking them.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:43 PM
TurboTrey

Seems to me this is like complaining that you kick the kick panels...
Old 03-14-2007, 05:03 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tattoo60012
I liked the look of the Nazar pods, and the tweeter mounting of the Zenclosures pods. Neither really suited my needs so I molded custom pods that are slimmer than the Nazar pods and have a place to mount the tweeter. Total cost 1 pack of fiberglass mat $4.99, 1 gallong of Polyester Resin (which is too much) $30.99, 1 yard of fleece material $3.99, 1 quart of body filler $4.99, 1 chunk of MDF $free (scabbed off of an old waterbed) labor: 4 hours of moldind, sanding, shaping, cutting, bondoing, sanding and more sanding, 12 hours of itching, scratching, and wanting to crawl out of my skin. In the end I'm pretty happy, and they are slim enough that I don't think I will be kicking them.

have a pic? keep in mind nazar has to build these things to accomodate all sorts of speakers, from slim to very deep...so...when you build it custom to the speaker, you can usually gain a little clearance

i always told people if they somehow damanged a set of my kicks from their foot, i would give them a new pair free...i dont know anyone who can accidentally destory something that is 1/4" thcih fiberglass and dampening i can stand on some of hte kicks i make hehe
Old 03-14-2007, 05:46 PM
tattoo60012

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
have a pic? keep in mind nazar has to build these things to accomodate all sorts of speakers, from slim to very deep...so...when you build it custom to the speaker, you can usually gain a little clearance

i always told people if they somehow damanged a set of my kicks from their foot, i would give them a new pair free...i dont know anyone who can accidentally destory something that is 1/4" thcih fiberglass and dampening i can stand on some of hte kicks i make hehe
Yup, here's the thread.
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/255252-install-update-new-pictures.html
I'm covering them in vinyl tonight, will post new pics of the completed pods. In the one picture you can see the 2 MDF circles. For the 6.5" driver I just traced the outside of the speaker grille mounting ring, and for the tweeter I went 3 hole saw sizes up from the hole diameter required for the tweet. I've got no doubt that the Nazar pods are superior to the one's i've made in a lot of ways. I designed mine around Focal 165KF's and since i'm doing it custom I didn't worry about other speakers that would or wouldn't fit in it.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:16 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
For me, it wasn't the thought of breaking/cracking the actual pod, but rather, I didn't want to end up accidentally putting my foot through the grill of the mid.

But that is a great guarantee on your work.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:52 AM
THE TECH

Yeah, I hit mine every few times in and out of the car. Not much you can do besides getting something more custom done. I don't like the ZEnclosures ones at all.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:56 AM
03BrickyardZ

Originally Posted by 350zspl
leave panel

cut feet
Old 03-15-2007, 07:07 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
For me, it wasn't the thought of breaking/cracking the actual pod, but rather, I didn't want to end up accidentally putting my foot through the grill of the mid.

But that is a great guarantee on your work.

again,on the Zs if you can somehow put your foot side ways throguh a metal grille, you would really have to stomp on it hard, and i mean hard...and when i do DLS stuff off axis, it makes it even harder

but of course i realize its something that takes time to get used to...heck if it werent for hte fact it sounds so much better, i wouldnt even bother

b