Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Running speaker wire to the doors

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Ichigo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think I bent me some pins on the passenger door. I need to pull some more slack wire from inside the door and check the plug pins. damnit

Test light shows some power, but only when the wifey holds the control in the up position
Old 07-06-2007, 05:42 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i blew my BCM going to grab one from the dealer next week
Old 07-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Ichigo

Originally Posted by doug
i blew my BCM going to grab one from the dealer next week
uh oh.....
How much is that BCM?

At first windows and locks worked fine. mirrors on both sides would not. Checked fuses all ok. then drivers side mirror started working. Passenger side mirror still no go. I'm at the shop tomorrow so Ill pull the passenger side apart and look for bent pins. If all but the passenger side mirror works is the BCM still ok?

I was running power wire and my boss did the speaker wires into the doors.... guess he should have read the walkthrough

Last edited by Ichigo; 07-06-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Ichigo

Well I removed the drivers side plug and found some slightly bent pins. Damn they are sensitive. Ive got my drivers side mirror working 100%. The passenger side.... not so much. It goes up and down but not left to right. I think I need to check the passenger side for bent pins now, hopefully I can get this resolved.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:49 PM
EriksonFL

Hey guys,

Just did both sides and this was the worst mod I have ever done. Put every thing back together and my windows don't crack when I shut the doors and when I open the doors they roll down about 2". They also won't roll down with the key in the lock, but they do roll down when you use the switches. this is killing me because the only way to find out whats going on is to take it all apart again.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Ichigo

It's all good, just flip open the the plug that connects the door to the body and check the pins in the side coming from the door. Even the slightest bent pin can cause issues with your windows, locks or mirrors. I learned this today myself. I think most of the problems are caused by excessive slack in the speaker wire.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that this is the most troubling mod for wiring...Aside from trying to stuff the tons wiring harnesses in the Din center console area!
Old 07-08-2007, 10:35 AM
EriksonFL

I cant find any bent pins and I double check my hole locations and everything looks good. I took the speaker wires out and plugged the harness back together to checked again. The problems still exist. Looks like she might be off to the dealer for a spanking Monday. I can only hope its not the BCM I hear they're $$$.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:36 PM
geomark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HOLY CRAP! Approach this project at your own RISK! I was laughing when I read the frustration level of this mod, not laughing anymore. I still gotta do the psngr side!!!!

Update: Im DONE with both sides, thank god. Tips for victims trying this in the future: When you are putting the two sides of the harness back together, DO NOT try to push them together, the clip that you push back to the top position will align them together. That psngr side was a tighter fit, feels like theres razor blades up in the harness area - ouch. Good luck!!

Last edited by geomark; 02-23-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:53 AM
RollingRocker
Smart @$$

Yeah it was a royal pain. Going through all this makes me wish I would of just put the speakers in the kicks! And just think if you need to have any body work done on your car and they need to remove any of the doors they will just cut those wires right off. Wish I would of figured out a quick release or maybe found some pins and setup my own with the factory harness. Oh well.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:33 PM
KManZ
Banned

I did the passenger side first... all I can say is: everything started off great, until I had to put it all back together. Damn, what a fricken nightmare. I did find a new way to get the speaker wires through that black rubber tubing though: pull the rubber off from the door and then work a long screw driver up through from the door side. Tape the speaker wire to the driver and pull it back through. Just get the rubber tube as straight as possible, and you should have no issues.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I wired my door speakers... It involved about an hour of time, tape, and a coat hanger. I didn't drill any holes or anything, I found an entrance through the inside and it comes up the tiny hole above the main harness.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:24 PM
KManZ
Banned

I did the driver's side today, got it through the harness in like 5 minutes. I was amazed... and it seemed like there was less room on the driver's side than the passenger side.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:36 AM
engine350zr

isn't this the way a shop would do it if you had them installed....?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:00 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very few shops will touch the molex, due to liablities issues.

the Z is pretty simple as far as molex's go...g35s are a bit otugher depending on factory option which results in different numbers of wires for different models
Old 10-31-2008, 07:32 PM
engine350zr

if not through the molex then what???
Old 11-01-2008, 01:43 PM
MDK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only other way would be to drill the doors. I had a hard enough time justifying doing that to my beater, there's no WAY I would put a drill to my Z! (well aside from engine mods of course)
Old 03-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by MDK
The only other way would be to drill the doors. I had a hard enough time justifying doing that to my beater, there's no WAY I would put a drill to my Z! (well aside from engine mods of course)
Maybe I'm wrong here (correct me if I am) but there is another option (I plan to use it if I can).

The boot that connects to the door is much larger than it needs to be and can be cut slightly, wire run through, boot resealed. There is a small black rubber plug just behind (towards the rear of the car) and below the molex connector on the chassis side. If you pop that out and run the wire through there, use silicone to seal both openings you have created/left, and zip tied the wire neatly behind the factory loom, what would be the problem. Clean, almost no-one would notice it, no new holes (that will be visible to anyone at least) and MUCH easier.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:26 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by Peak350
Maybe I'm wrong here (correct me if I am) but there is another option (I plan to use it if I can).

The boot that connects to the door is much larger than it needs to be and can be cut slightly, wire run through, boot resealed. There is a small black rubber plug just behind (towards the rear of the car) and below the molex connector on the chassis side. If you pop that out and run the wire through there, use silicone to seal both openings you have created/left, and zip tied the wire neatly behind the factory loom, what would be the problem. Clean, almost no-one would notice it, no new holes (that will be visible to anyone at least) and MUCH easier.
So you are saying that the wires would be visible to someone if they opened your door and looked close enough? ie., the speaker wire is zip tied to the black rubber tube that has the factory wiring in it? Can you post some pics?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by KManZ
So you are saying that the wires would be visible to someone if they opened your door and looked close enough? ie., the speaker wire is zip tied to the black rubber tube that has the factory wiring in it? Can you post some pics?
I haven't done this yet, but I can try to get some shots and label what I'm talking about. And yes, the wire would be visible in the hinge area, although not obvious if black wire was used and it was tied up correctly.

Quick Reply: Running speaker wire to the doors