Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Pioneer AVIC-N3... is it worth the price???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:53 PM
jelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer AVIC-N3... is it worth the price???

I've just purchased AVIC-N3 for my 06 Z, but I'm sort of having second thoughts. I really like the flip-up screen and overall functionality of the unit, but I can see the AVIC-D3 can perform just as well in almost every aspect, asd well as other units that incorporate hard-drive to save navigation info.
Anyways, what are you thoughts regarding AVIC-N3? Do you have it? Are you satisfied? Any pros/cons in comparison to other units? Any response would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks all! =)

-jelly
Old 04-03-2007, 07:58 PM
nova350z

Originally Posted by jelly
I've just purchased AVIC-N3 for my 06 Z, but I'm sort of having second thoughts. I really like the flip-up screen and overall functionality of the unit, but I can see the AVIC-D3 can perform just as well in almost every aspect, asd well as other units that incorporate hard-drive to save navigation info.
Anyways, what are you thoughts regarding AVIC-N3? Do you have it? Are you satisfied? Any pros/cons in comparison to other units? Any response would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks all! =)

-jelly
I'm personally not so hot on the flip out screens, but to each their own.

The Pioneers are great units, so whether you go with the D3/N3/Z2, I'm sure you'll be satisfied. Personally, I have a Kenwood DNX7100 (which I just posted a review of), and I would absolutely recommend you consider it.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Ichigo

I always thought if you have the Double Din opening in your dash... Use it. The motorized flip up screen is just one more thing to break.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:07 PM
nova350z

Originally Posted by Ichigo
I always thought if you have the Double Din opening in your dash... Use it. The motorized flip up screen is just one more thing to break.
agreed.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:51 PM
702Fairlady

I had the N3 and was very satisfied. I just didnt like the flip up blocking off my cubby storage. I went with a double din alpine w200
Old 04-03-2007, 11:01 PM
alan86

yea but arent the motorized flip out displays better because they have a detachable face?
Old 04-04-2007, 05:42 AM
RunyonAve

I fully agree that if you have the space for a double din, then use it. Just based on looks alone this would be the way to go, not to mention the extra mechical parts of the flip out that could break. Use the single din when you don't have room, since this is not our case i would definitely send it back for the D-3 or the Z-2.

The detachable face is not a big enough selling point. If you're taking proper security procations then should not have you worrying about detaching your faceplate anyways.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:15 AM
jelly

Thanks for all the replies!

Yeah, actually my main concern is the security. I hear so many stories of people getting their units stolen, and I assumed that by having retractable screen along with detachable face, it'll discourage these f*ckers to a certain extent. Having a fat lcd screen openly visible would be attracting more thieves I concluded, thus I went with AVIC-N3 instead of D3.

It doesn't help that I'll be living in downtown LA for a year... we all know how great that neighborhood is.

Thanks all!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:32 AM
alan86

Originally Posted by RunyonAve
I fully agree that if you have the space for a double din, then use it. Just based on looks alone this would be the way to go, not to mention the extra mechical parts of the flip out that could break. Use the single din when you don't have room, since this is not our case i would definitely send it back for the D-3 or the Z-2.

The detachable face is not a big enough selling point. If you're taking proper security procations then should not have you worrying about detaching your faceplate anyways.

what are proper security precautions? a top of the line security system will not prevent theives from taking your stuff. if they hear your system or see your screen, they'll follow you to wherever you park, wait until you leave, and then get to work.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:15 AM
nova350z

Originally Posted by jelly
Thanks for all the replies!

Yeah, actually my main concern is the security. I hear so many stories of people getting their units stolen, and I assumed that by having retractable screen along with detachable face, it'll discourage these f*ckers to a certain extent. Having a fat lcd screen openly visible would be attracting more thieves I concluded, thus I went with AVIC-N3 instead of D3.

It doesn't help that I'll be living in downtown LA for a year... we all know how great that neighborhood is.

Thanks all!
I hear ya. Just make sure your insurance company will cover it in case of theft. I mean, the headunit is only part of the equation anyway. If you have a sub, amp, or aftermarket speakers available they may brake in anyway regardless of whether or not you've removed the headunit faceplate.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:25 AM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked my N3. Wish I had kept it. Only got rid of it, cause I got a great offer for it. Bought it for $200, from a matrix list, sold for $1000 a week later.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:44 AM
702Fairlady

The detachable face isnt that great of a feature. On my older N1 after a while of detaching the face, it wouldnt get a good connection when I would put it back on. It would randomly shut off, then youd have to put pressure on the face to get it to turn back on. Plus, If thieves know its an avic unit, they will still take the screen. It is becoming easier to find Avic faceplates on the internet. So they take it because finding a faceplate is cheaper than buying an actual unit.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:15 AM
jelly

i feel like i should just stick with the stock unit to avoid all this fuss. it'll just be a matter of time until my door gets busted open, center console ripped to pieces, and $1000+ system jacked....

oh boy... decisions decisions...

thanks for your replies everyone. =)

-jelly
Old 04-04-2007, 11:00 AM
mlam002

I have an Pioneer Avic N3... At first it was nice having it, its nice and clean and the detachable face plate was a huge selling point for me.

It has all the features I've ever needed including DVD playability and MP3 playback.

I do regret buying and installing it in the fact that I hardly ever use the navigation feature, I never really use the DVD playback feature... etc.

For the price, it was great.. but I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.. I hardly use the features to its full capicity so I'm thinking about selling it and getting a simple MP3 capable head unit instead.

guess there will be 2 Avic N3 for sale on this board soon.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:15 AM
RunyonAve

Originally Posted by alan86
what are proper security precautions? a top of the line security system will not prevent theives from taking your stuff. if they hear your system or see your screen, they'll follow you to wherever you park, wait until you leave, and then get to work.
Hence what i'm talking about. Having some common sense is all you need. Don't blast the sound system on city streets when your like a mile away from home, Don't put the navigation antenna on the outside of the vehicle, tint your windows, make installs rather inconspicous... etc.

I've had 3 different sound systems, all very custom and all over at least 6 grand and i've yet to have a problem. I don't live or work in the best parts of town and i've only ever had something stolen when my brother borrowed my truck and abused the system and was followed home. Maybe i'm just lucky but i attribute it do just taking a second a realizing what the consequences of your actions will be.