Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Would these tweeters fit the 350z with Polykevlar line focal FAK2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 01:17 PM
TheGest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would these tweeters fit the 350z with Polykevlar line focal FAK2?

I'm missing the tweeters and wondering if these will work?

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2318
Old 04-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should be able to place those in the stock location if that is what you are asking.

I would remove the little grill in the stock location and flush mount them
Old 04-14-2007, 01:38 PM
TheGest

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
you should be able to place those in the stock location if that is what you are asking.

I would remove the little grill in the stock location and flush mount them
I'm also asking if they go with speakers, because im missing the tweeters
Old 04-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

as long as you have the cross over there shouldnt be any problems and they should sound good.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:22 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

they can go wtih the espaker, but i can say that if you put them in the stock locations, be prepared to have the highs really scream in your ear...but then again, everyones taste is different so maybe it wont be as bad for you as for me

b
Old 04-14-2007, 09:34 PM
TheGest

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
they can go wtih the espaker, but i can say that if you put them in the stock locations, be prepared to have the highs really scream in your ear...but then again, everyones taste is different so maybe it wont be as bad for you as for me

b
whats another good place?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

b,

A question about positioning tweeters (that I hope is appropriate to this thread).

I installed Focal 165V Slim component speakers. I know you prefer pods, but I felt I would constantly hit pods with my big feet when exiting the car and decided to go with the "slims" that fit inside the stock door-speaker-position.

I wasn't sure where I should place the tweeters. I did a test mock-up positioning the tweeters in the stock location, but didn't like them there for the reason you mention. I decided to mount the tweeters in the windshield pillar (they fit well here, flush mounted) about 12" up from the dash and pointed them at the windshield (which is about the only directional option when fitting the tweeters in the A-pillars). The idea being that the high sound would bounce well off the windshield glass with minimal distortion. This arrangement certainly provides better sound than the stock tweeter location. But, bouncing the sound off the curvature of the windshield seems to stage both sides near the center of the car's interior so that I don't hear much difference between the right and left channels from these tweeters.

The Focals sound just great, but I wonder if I made a mistake positioning the tweeters and if there is a better location for these.

--Spike
Old 04-15-2007, 10:00 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

1. at the end of the day, i suggest to people to do which ever sounds best to them, so, if the placement you put in the A pilalrs sounds best to you, its the way to go

2. A pillar is a good location for tweets, provided you can do it properly and the interior is the right hsape. often though, to me, A pillar tweets require some time alignment to sound right, whcih of course, makes it sound worse from the passenger seat... but, for stage height, its a great location.

3. I am not quite sure why people are afraid of their feet hitting hte pod, i can stand my 210 lbs frame on top of my kicks without having it break its pretty heavy solid fiberglass, if your feet can comehow go through that, you probably can punch a hole through solid metal with your feet as well hehe just saying afraid of destryoing a set of kick panels should never be the reason not to get them

b

Originally Posted by Spike100
b,

A question about positioning tweeters (that I hope is appropriate to this thread).

I installed Focal 165V Slim component speakers. I know you prefer pods, but I felt I would constantly hit pods with my big feet when exiting the car and decided to go with the "slims" that fit inside the stock door-speaker-position.

I wasn't sure where I should place the tweeters. I did a test mock-up positioning the tweeters in the stock location, but didn't like them there for the reason you mention. I decided to mount the tweeters in the windshield pillar (they fit well here, flush mounted) about 12" up from the dash and pointed them at the windshield (which is about the only directional option when fitting the tweeters in the A-pillars). The idea being that the high sound would bounce well off the windshield glass with minimal distortion. This arrangement certainly provides better sound than the stock tweeter location. But, bouncing the sound off the curvature of the windshield seems to stage both sides near the center of the car's interior so that I don't hear much difference between the right and left channels from these tweeters.

The Focals sound just great, but I wonder if I made a mistake positioning the tweeters and if there is a better location for these.

--Spike
Old 04-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Spike100

^ ^ I showed your response ("A pillar tweets require some time alignment to sound right, whcih of course, makes it sound worse from the passenger seat... but, for stage height, its a great location.") to my installer who took your advice, tweaked it just a little, and it sounds just great now. And, it also sounds good on the passenger side as well (I hear both channels distinctly sitting in either seat). Thanks for the advice adjusting the tweeters.

It is not my intention to "jack" the OP's thread, but this discussion is winding down now, and I have another question that probably is not worthy of starting a new thread. So, I'll ask it here.

My Build-up and Configuration (listed in sequential order of the steps I took building my CES):
1) I replaced the stock H/U with a Clarion and added an Eclipse Amp. That improved the sound, but I still had the lousy OEM speakers delivering poor sound.
2) I removed the crappy rears in my Z and replaced these with Infinity coaxials (not a great or expensive speaker, but much better than what came with the Z). That replacement made it obvious that the Z's OEM front door component speakers were horrible. So I turned the fronts down to nothing, and ran the rears. Pretty stupid.
3) Realizing how bad this arrangement was, I installed Focal 165V Slim component speakers in the doors. Wow! Now I had decent sound. And, I turned-off the the rears (the Infinity coaxials I previously installed and used as the primary speakers) since they only detracted from the Focals' great sound.

The Problem:
I would like to get more bass, and the Focals will deliver this. But, an excessively high bass-setting on the Focals inside the front doors results in vibrations that hurt the sound. I realize that a subW is a solution. But, I am a golfer (often carrying two golf bags and a couple of suitcases stuffed under the rear strut-bar). I don't have room to place a subW box under the Z's rear strut-bar. The large rear glove compartment (behind the passenger seat) is filled with stuff I need and is not available. The rear space behind the driver's seat is where I placed my amp and some other electronic devices, so that is filled up as well.

My Question:
Is it possible to place a woofer as as a single component (actually two woofers), in the rear speaker slots in the Z and have it work correctly (delivering more bass)?
Old 04-18-2007, 04:16 AM
HARRYPOTTER

you might be better off going with 3 or 4.... 8 inch speakers in a box....the box will be small, and will deliver some really really good bass....CHIME IN SOMEONE
Old 04-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Spike100

^ ^ Thank's for responding. Your idea is what I was considering (only that my plan was placing two single-component 6.5" woofers inside the rear speaker slots). Your suggestion would be even better.

Since no other Forum members are offering any advice for this scenario, I guess my question is of little interest. I suppose most are thinking I should figure out a SubW solution. My "cargo/useage" requirements demand using the stock (OEM Bose) SubW location. Based upon Forum searches and what I've read here, that is not the best placement for a SubW in the Z.
--Spike
Old 04-20-2007, 05:51 AM
HARRYPOTTER

trust me...4 8's in a Z will sound like 2 12's if you have the CORRECT air space for the box, and if they are the correct 8" speakers
Old 04-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Spike100

^^ I do trust you and value your advice. Your suggestion is exactly what I want to do. It's only that I don't know how to do this (building the box, positioning the box, and how to best handle the crossovers).

Based upon extensive searches I did on this Forum, I don't think a single "big" subW in the Z's OEM Bose space behind the driver's seat is the way to do this. SubW's should be in a box under the strut-bar, rear of the car, or in the spare tire postion. I don't have room for these configurarions or a subW as it should be done, and that's why I am asking this question (installling "straight" woofers). I believe your suggestion is the best solution for the setup I want to do. But, no one is responding.
--Spike
Old 04-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ I do trust you and value your advice. Your suggestion is exactly what I want to do. It's only that I don't know how to do this (building the box, positioning the box, and how to best handle the crossovers).

Based upon extensive searches I did on this Forum, I don't think a single "big" subW in the Z's OEM Bose space behind the driver's seat is the way to do this. SubW's should be in a box under the strut-bar, rear of the car, or in the spare tire postion. I don't have room for these configurarions or a subW as it should be done, and that's why I am asking this question (installling "straight" woofers). I believe your suggestion is the best solution for the setup I want to do. But, no one is responding.
--Spike
what about behind the strut bar? would that give you enough room in the rear of the car for storage or what ever you need? I had an under the strut for a long time, but recently switched to a single 10 behinf the strut bar which freed up a lot of room for me and sounds great also. I would be easy to build a box for (2) 8inch JL Audio 8w7's back there and they would hit Hard.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:35 AM
Spike100

^^ Thanks for the suggestion. That might work. I'm going to make a cardboard mockup of the box and try moving it around to see where it fits and still allows the cargo space I need.
--Spike
Old 04-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Spike100

I did the cardboard mock-up, and I think it will work. The mock-up uses smaller but multiple subW's (thanks for advice from HARRYPOTTER). It looks as though I sacrifice minimal storage space while gaining much better sound if I select an optimum position for the the box (thanks for advice from USN HM 350Z). I showed your posts/replys to my installer who agrees with the both of you. He's just a little nervous about doing this since he hasn't done it before. ...Wishing I wasn't half-way across the continent from bing since I know he would provide a solution and a great install.

Thanks guys (HARRYPOTTER and USN HM 350Z) for taking the time to respond and your very good advice. I'm going to add this using your suggestions.
--Spike
Old 04-23-2007, 04:44 AM
HARRYPOTTER

anytime