Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Run power wire from battery through firewall

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 01:46 AM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can just connected to the cig ligher wire. forgot the wire color, but its the one thats has its pin horizontal, not vertical.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:39 AM
Taya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running cable

I just did what alphared done, there is no need to to drill anything inorder to get into the car, there are sets of cables going top down directly behind the battery down to the passenger area... was a piece of cake to get this done, once you take off the plastics cavers... These threads are awesome!
Old 09-01-2003, 12:04 AM
SquadElite

I am trying to figure out how to get a wire from the battery to my xbox in the glove compartment.

What kind of wire do you connect to the battery? Is there something for it to attach to on the battery? At the end of the wire on the xbox side, how does the xbox plug into that? How is this all regulated, isnt it to much power?

How do I power my farenheit screen?

Thanks,
Squadelite
Old 09-02-2003, 11:20 AM
Horizon1

i would think you need a DC to AC converter..one of those boxes they sell in many electronic stores. You're talking about plugging the xbox power plug, right?
Old 09-29-2003, 07:04 PM
AParshall04

Hey, im new on this site as of today, and HOPEFULLY i'll be getting my Z tomorrow. I'm already looking toward the future, trying to figure out what im going to do for audio. Anyway, where did you ground your amp(s)???
Old 01-17-2004, 03:35 AM
HokieZ

*bump*. With the new raise and good bonus this year, it's time to upgrade the stock system. Same question as AParshall04. Where do you mount the ground if you put an amp in the stock glove box? Or is it easier to mount under the passenger seat and just ground to one of the seat bolts?
Old 01-18-2004, 07:57 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any metal

Originally posted by HokieZ
*bump*. With the new raise and good bonus this year, it's time to upgrade the stock system. Same question as AParshall04. Where do you mount the ground if you put an amp in the stock glove box? Or is it easier to mount under the passenger seat and just ground to one of the seat bolts?
Any piece of metal that is part of the body (or welded to the body) is a decent ground. Behind the glove box there is a bunch of sheetmetal that would do fine. The seat bolt would also be fine. You can put a bolt and nut through an existing hole, or you can just drill a litttle hole and use a self tapping screw. Use a star washer for good contact and to prevent it from loosening up.

Also if the metal is painted, it doesn't hurt to tape a little sand paper and strip a little spot before you drill.

If you are running multiple amps or other equipment it is a good idea to ground them all in the same spot. A star topology is the most likely to resist noise.

AndyB
Old 01-07-2005, 11:31 PM
qmaster

Default Basslink Install Questions

If I have already replaced the front and rear speakers with Infinity speakers and installed a 4-channel amp, can I just splice off of the amp's power cable coming from the battery and send it to the amp and to the Basslink and then splice the rear speakers into the Basslink also, just install some y-cables...is it that easy? You can pm me here or email me at jdanziger@sbcglobal.net if you want.

Thanks again.

Jason
Old 01-08-2005, 08:01 AM
hypeiv

Depends on the gauge of the wire, and how much current the bass link and amp will take. If your current power cable is 4 gauge you are definatly ok.

if you alread have a pretty decent gauge power cable coming from the battery then you can just buy a distribution block that will let you put two more fuses in the line (one for the amp one for the bass link) and go off of that line.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:35 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

So, how many feet of 4 gauge should I buy to reach from the battery to the glove box.

For that matter, how much speaker wire will I need to run from the glove box back up to the door speakers.

Chris
Old 03-12-2005, 11:07 AM
speedd3mon

Thanks guys! these instructions were VERY USEFUL! I would've screwed up the car if it werent for you guys! =)
Old 04-02-2005, 08:50 PM
zPilott

This looks good, but what would you guys suggest if I wanted both a constant power line and a switched power line (only on when I have the car on). Is there somewhere else I can run a line from (other than tapping into my cig lighter) that I can get switched power? I guess I could use the cig lighter to power a relay, but I dont know if that is the best option.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:15 PM
sharingan625

Originally Posted by alphared
Just want to add a pic of what I did. The same way, but shows what gromet your talking about. Tie wrap the fuse holder to the cable and connected the 4awg to the battery post. Oh, its easier if you remove the 'engine area trim piece'. Just pop the second pin out near the top. Pull up the rubber seal and slide the whole thing out. This'll give you plenty of room to work with.
so there are only 2 pins holding "engine area trim piece"? i didn't try it yet but it looks like the wiper blade is connected to this piece.
does it just slide out after 2 pins taken out?

Thank you.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:00 PM
kaybee650

about 10 feet to run from the battery to the glove box.. actually more like 8 feet
Old 12-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Kurru

searched forever to find this awesome thread thought i would give cudo's on this writeup. was afraid i'd never find a good place to go thru the firewall.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:35 PM
ZPHILE

Default Thanks Tonkadog!!!! Great writeup

Installing a replacement system in the ZR and just wanted to say thanks (the post is still good after almost 4 years.....)
Old 04-26-2007, 04:13 PM
BCs350z

what about if you want to run the power cable straight to the hatch area??
Old 04-27-2007, 02:12 PM
N-Dawggy

I just installed a DVD/TV unit in my Z and it was a PITA to get all the wires to fit nicely behind the unit. Now I want an AMP and I dread the fact that I have to remove my dash and HU to get to the RCA & remote. I should've done this all at once. My question is, what's the easiest route to get the power cable/RCA/remote wire to the rear hatch? Also, is there a specific bolt in the hatch that I can use to ground the AMP? thanks, any help is appreciated.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:29 PM
sirfatty

there are holes in both passager side glove box after u remove the plastics around that allow easy access to the trunk hatch area
Old 06-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet, just what I was looking fa

Quick Reply: Run power wire from battery through firewall