Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

MB Quart 6.5 fits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 07:05 PM
Ozz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MB Quart 6.5 fits?

I was talking to a sales person in a pro audio shop who seemed very knowledgable and he told me if I was to go with MB Quart speakers I'd have to go smaller than 6 1/2 because MB 6 1/2's would not fit in the stock Z location. He said it had to do with Eropean sizing. This was the first I'd heard of this. Since I'll probably be buying online and do not want to have to do any cutting I thought I should check it out here. Have any of you had experience with sizing MB Quart coponents? Do the tweeters fit in the stock location? If the model matters I'm thinking of PSD 216's in front and any coax that would match up nice for the rears.
Any information from you MB Quart fans greatly appreciated
TIA
Old 04-26-2003, 10:38 AM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Yes & No

I installed 6.5 inch MBQuart Q series in both doors, it took a little work but they fit OK. The Q series give you outstanding sound and are worth the extra bucks.

Putting the tweeters in the "stock" placement did not work in harmony with the Q series so we made brackets and placed them next to the 6.5's.

You can see my install here: http://www.sportzmagazine.com/Z_Home.html
Follow Bob's 350Z Mod
[Be sure to click on images for larger view]
Old 04-26-2003, 06:01 PM
Ozz

Default killer install!

Bob
Very nice job. When you say "fit with some work'' did you have to cut or modify the side door panel and or grill? When you said "the tweets didn't work in harmony" I take it it was a decision based on sound and not fit is that true? If you liked the sound in the original tweet location would it have fit. I want to keep the car looking as stock as possible. Thanks for the feedback and you have one great looking car.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:12 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

OZZ,

CarToys in Littleton, Colorado did my install so I didn't even get my hands dirty. I designed the setup in my mind and turned it over to the resident installer genius. The placement wasn't simple to do, but it wasn't difficult either. Drilling holes, playing around with the spacer -- that kind of thing.

Regarding the tweeters, they fit fine in the stock position but I liked the sound a lot better where we finished up putting them. I had the feeling that the tweeter was too dominate in the stock position, so we mounted them in the position shown in my mod photos.

BTW, there's a link on another site that's getting into this right now -- check them out.

http://350zmotoring.com/forums/showt...&threadid=2000
Old 04-29-2003, 11:46 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have MB Qs 216 on the doors. Tweeters in stock location, 6.5's require a 1" spacer to move them out so they won't hit the glass (or vice versa).

Installed by a shop, when done you can't even tell (by eye) they are there.

Only thing I can say is I should have installed an AMP for them since they seem kind of low (when I fade totally forward you can't hear them much). Somebody later stated they are "power hungry". This was my mistake, the speakers are fine.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:56 PM
Ozz

Default Thanks guys for the info

Publisher
Thanks for the link to the other thread. I will foolow that closely for a while. I like the idea of cutting out the originakl speaker. I think I also read that here somewhere but at the time was not relating it directly to the MB's

slaponte
I know what you mean about MB's being power hungry. I was originally planning on getting the Q series but I started reading all the specs. I decided then that with the Amp I have (see below) I might be better off with the P or R series. I'll prpbably stay with the P.

I have the amps just need the rest.
Haven't hit the lottery yet and raises suck this year. I'll have to moonlight.
Thanks again
Later,