Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

My stereo's in

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 12:34 PM
mf01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My stereo's in

I got everything together and hooked up yesterday. I built a box under the tower, like others have. I built spacers with a spot to mount the tweeters. I think the stock location sounds crappy with aftermarket tweets, so I stuck mine in the door for better imaging. I also built an amp rack for my two amps, two crossovers, fuse block, and ground block. I still haven't found a good way to bolt the box down, but I will search or figure it out next weekend. Anyways here's the components:

Rockford Fosgate RFX-9300 MP3 Deck
Rockford Fosgate 225.2
Rockford Fosgate 200.2
Diamond Audio M6 10D2
Diamond Audio M661 (They sounded better than the Hex series)

I'll attach one picture, but here is the link to the rest:
http://home.austin.rr.com/fifield/db350/stereo/
Attached Thumbnails My stereo's in-im000937-small-.jpg  
Old 04-27-2003, 07:00 PM
pook

Dude That turned out awesome. Sorry I couldn't help yestarday Mandi had me doing all kinds of crazy ****. How does the tweets sound in that location? I really need to move mine from the stock location they sound like total ***. Did you end up installing the baffles behind the door speakers?
Old 04-28-2003, 12:33 PM
DrCold

Very nice.

About the tweet placement. Did you cut a hole in the door pannel for them? Could you post a pic with the door back together? I havent taken apart the door yet, but from looking at it, figured i would put my tweets next to the 6 1/2s. I just dont know how to do it yet.

Also, you said you liked the M661's better than the Hex's. Why is that? I'm getting close to purchasing some Hex's, but if the M6's sound better, i'd love to go that route and save a few bucks.

-DrCold
Old 04-28-2003, 01:53 PM
mf01

Originally posted by pook
Dude That turned out awesome. Sorry I couldn't help yestarday Mandi had me doing all kinds of crazy ****. How does the tweets sound in that location? I really need to move mine from the stock location they sound like total ***. Did you end up installing the baffles behind the door speakers?
I didn't like the tweets in the stock location, I thought it was to bright. I didn't install the baffles.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:56 PM
mf01

Originally posted by DrCold
Very nice.

About the tweet placement. Did you cut a hole in the door pannel for them? Could you post a pic with the door back together? I havent taken apart the door yet, but from looking at it, figured i would put my tweets next to the 6 1/2s. I just dont know how to do it yet.

Also, you said you liked the M661's better than the Hex's. Why is that? I'm getting close to purchasing some Hex's, but if the M6's sound better, i'd love to go that route and save a few bucks.

-DrCold
If you look at the grill in the door it is off alignment with the speaker hole. There was enough room for the tweeter to play through. I'll get a pic tonight. The Hex tweeters sound like sh*t. I didn't like the way they sounded with the music I listened to on them. It's all personal preference, but my friend and the guy at the store thought the same. If I were you I would go listen to them before buying.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:10 PM
DrCold

Did you listen to the Aluminum or Silk tweeters? From the reviews i have read, i guess the Al. tweeters are too bright. But some feel the silks are to soft. I will go listen to them before i decide on a set. Thanks for the quick reply.

-DrCold
Old 04-28-2003, 06:19 PM
mf01

I listened to the Aluminum. I wanted to listen to the silk, but they didn't have any in the board. I really liked the M661 all around and they were recommended by an audiophile friend and I don't mind saving a buck. I figure if I want a different component set in the future I sell this one on ebay and buy the S600s definitely not the S600a's.

Anyways I started messing around with the cover that goes over the speaker after you asked for a pic. The actually cover is only open about 2/3 and the other holes are filled in, so I took a big needle and started poking them out where the tweeter is. Here is the pick of the cover after I poked out the holes:
Attached Thumbnails My stereo's in-im000953-small-.jpg  

Last edited by mf01; 04-28-2003 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:21 PM
mf01

I also took a pic with the door on so you could see how the alignment of the speaker from the factory is off. You can also see where my tweeter is and for some reason this is the first aluminum tweeter that I actually liked. I use to have a silk dome Boston Rally Component set and was always set on silk until I heard these:
Attached Thumbnails My stereo's in-im000951-small-.jpg  

Last edited by mf01; 04-28-2003 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:24 AM
DrCold

Ah, i see how that sits now. That fits in there just right. Thanks for the pics.

Well, i'll have to take a look at the M6's then. I figured because they where the 'low' end of Diamonds line, they wouldnt be what i was looking for. I mostly dont like aluminum tweeters, but i'll def. give these a shot. Thanks again.

-DrCold
Old 04-29-2003, 07:54 AM
mf01

Originally posted by DrCold
Ah, i see how that sits now. That fits in there just right. Thanks for the pics.

Well, i'll have to take a look at the M6's then. I figured because they where the 'low' end of Diamonds line, they wouldnt be what i was looking for. I mostly dont like aluminum tweeters, but i'll def. give these a shot. Thanks again.

-DrCold
The M6's are the mid line from Diamond Audio. They have the M3's as there low line and the Hex's as the high line. I listened to mine locally and then ordered them from onlinecarstereo.com. They have good prices for speakers and free shipping.