Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Opinions on this setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Seel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on this setup

In about a week I'll be ordring these pieces for my setup and wanted to know what your opinions on them are. If you have heard them, heard about them and so on. I haven't decided on a headunit yet and might use the factory Bose HU for a while until I do. Here is what I have decided on so far.

All made by Precision Power (PPI):

A/1200 four channel amplifier http://www.cardomain.com/item/PPI48340

356CS Component speakers http://www.cardomain.com/item/PPI39307

10" PCX sub/ZEnclosure http://www.cardomain.com/item/PPI28107

I haven't decided if I should put these comps on the front or rear. Again I'd like your opinions on that. Thanks
Old 06-10-2007, 08:31 PM
soleil
NolaZcc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i havent heard ppi in a z but i had a complete ppi system in my rodeo and that sheit was fuking sweet...
Old 06-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Seel

That's encouraging. I need to find a good headunit to put with this system. I need ipod and c.d. I might go double din for the dvd capabilities too.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Seel

No one has any opinions?
Old 06-11-2007, 07:47 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

I've seen some PPI systems back in the 90s that were considered pretty good but I haven't kept up with them in recent years with their line or quality to comment. Seems like many members here went with JL products for the Z.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Seel

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
I've seen some PPI systems back in the 90s that were considered pretty good but I haven't kept up with them in recent years with their line or quality to comment. Seems like many members here went with JL products for the Z.

I appreciate the comment.

I am going with PPI from a member and his connectons who have a good deal of belief that it is very high quality. Obviously not top tier but deff. on the same level as JL or maybe better in some cases. I wish I knew more about the stuff. The prices on some of the pieces exceed that of some of the more popular names but that doesn't always equate into superiority.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Ichigo

PPI was pretty bad azz back in the day, I haven't heard any of their stuff in a long time. The company may have changed hands like Phoenix Gold (a bad thing IMO). I'll check with my boss at the shop to see if he knows anything about the state of their business.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Seel

Originally Posted by Ichigo
PPI was pretty bad azz back in the day, I haven't heard any of their stuff in a long time. The company may have changed hands like Phoenix Gold (a bad thing IMO). I'll check with my boss at the shop to see if he knows anything about the state of their business.
That would be very cool of you to do. From what I was told there was a change in the name somewhere, or they were bought out. For good reasons though. Not because they were losing it.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Ichigo

No problem, I'll give him a call tomorrow. While I abandoned car audio for a good 9 years, my boss started in car audio before Iasca (1990?) and he stayed in the industry ever since. He's a great resource for car audio history, he usually knows the hows and whys on what's been going on.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:57 AM
BlueBoxer

I will admit that PPI use to be at the top of the game, on level with JL and some of the high end of the middle pack, but DEI did buy them and take them mainstream. I would say that they are on par with Alpine, RF, and the more common brands we see at stores. However, when you get stuff at cost it is hard to complain about the value. lol

Their four channel offers a good bang for buck and has equal wattage over the four channels, which I wish JL would offer in their 450/4, which should be a 600/4 or even 400/4. Yeah, I know, rears are not necessary, but it is nice to have equal power should you want it plus the ability to throw more serious power to a sub if you bridge them.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:42 AM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the breakdown. PPI back in the day was made here in the USA in Arizona. It was bad *** product. Now it is owned by Directed Electronics and is made overseas. It is basically made in the same plant that all the other Directed Electronics amplifiers are made. Take this information and make your own decision on the quality of the product.

Last edited by THEDUKE; 06-12-2007 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 AM
soleil
NolaZcc

for a HU i have the kenwood 7100 and absolulty love it...
Old 06-12-2007, 11:42 AM
StreetOC192

The new PPI stuff is not what it used to be (owned by DEI now), but it is also not garbage. The amps may not be the most efficient, but do make rated power if not a bit over rated power. Their new line of subs are supposed to be "getting back to their roots" of when PPI was made in the USA. Their new subs brought back the flat cone look. I have not heard the new subs, but am impressed with them on paper (means almost nothing of course). I really don't know about their components. Hey, they gotta be better than the stockers in the Z, right?

If you're getting this stuff at almost cost, then go for it, and you shouldn't be disappointed. If you are paying market prices, then I would look at other brands for components at least. The amps and subs are good even for their market prices.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Dio1988

i think it would look real nice but i haven't heard any ppi systems. you could search on other sites to see if people have them and what they think. it's a shame they have no customer reviews
Old 06-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Seel

Im getting this stuff basically @ cost which is the reason I ask about it in the first place. I'm getting a much better sound system than I've ever had for less money than my previous sound sytems. You guys are much more knowlegeable about it than I am. I'm getting a great deal which will make anything sound better!
Old 06-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Ichigo

Spoke to the owner of the shop today, he indicated that PPI had experienced the same fate (twice) as companies like Phoenix Gold and Orion. They were bought by an offshore company, US manufacturing closed, and equipment made in other countries now.
I'm not saying that you cant get good equipment from them now, but don't expect the quality that we used to expect from them (art series PPI amps).I feel your pain, Phoenix Gold USED to be my favorite choice of amps, but they just dont produce the same quality equipment anymore.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Seel

Originally Posted by Ichigo
Spoke to the owner of the shop today, he indicated that PPI had experienced the same fate (twice) as companies like Phoenix Gold and Orion. They were bought by an offshore company, US manufacturing closed, and equipment made in other countries now.
I'm not saying that you cant get good equipment from them now, but don't expect the quality that we used to expect from them (art series PPI amps).I feel your pain, Phoenix Gold USED to be my favorite choice of amps, but they just dont produce the same quality equipment anymore.
I appreciate you going outside the forum for me. Thank you much.

I am really excited about this stuff actually. I think it's going to be a pretty nice setup. I'm getting more than I would spend myself if I wasn't getting it at cost. I'm frugile.So I figure the quality would atleast be on par with what I'm used to and that is just fine with me.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Ichigo

Originally Posted by Seel
I appreciate you going outside the forum for me. Thank you much.

I am really excited about this stuff actually. I think it's going to be a pretty nice setup. I'm getting more than I would spend myself if I wasn't getting it at cost. I'm frugile.So I figure the quality would atleast be on par with what I'm used to and that is just fine with me.
No problem. Don't be negatively swayed by the fact that they aren't the same company they used to be, it happened to a lot of the car audio companies. You just have to go a little further up the product line to get into the good stuff. Sure todays offerings aren't going to be as good PPI art series or my PG MPS2240 amp, but think about how much equipment of that caliber would cost today... in the 90's I think I paid 2-300 hundred for my mps2240, today an amp like that would run into the 5-600 range

If you really want old school power, check out the guy on ebay who sells and specializes in old school amps. Heres a link to a PPI art series he currently has up for bid:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-O-S-Precisi...QQcmdZViewItem

now the shameless plug, here's my old school PG amp:
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/242161-it-s-mine-finally-it-s-all-mine-pics-inside.html

I'm hoping to have everything together by this weekend

Last edited by Ichigo; 06-12-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:57 PM
BlueBoxer

Yeah, I was hesitate at first when I made my a/d/s purchase from DEI. If you old schoolers remember a/d/s you remember how insanely sweet their stuff was. Unfotunately, they stopped producing their amps, but at least carried over their speaker technology. I had their 346 comps installed and was surprised at how great they sounded, my installer who pushes Memphis more than anything else and even tried to pick up the line before DEI sold out of their stock. Since then they basically badged them as their new PPI comps so they should have the same SQ. It seems like all companies go through phases, heck I even felt Alpine was doing the same reduction in product quality for a while. I still look for old school a/d/s stuff on ebay when I can, it looks like maybe they based the new PPI subs on the a/d/s stuff as well.

Anyone have input on Memphis Audio?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Ichigo

The shop I work at pt sells Memphis Audio. After hearing the amps and subs, I like them a lot. The equipment is made in Korea, but the performance is solid. Check out the Memphis subs I'm using in the link I included in my previous post.

Quick Reply: Opinions on this setup