Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Dynomat

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 06:59 PM
alphaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dynomat

I'm looking to Dynomat the trunk over the rear wheel weels on my Z. Does anyone know where I can purchase Dynomat from ? Is this the best material to use for sound deadning ?
Old 05-03-2003, 07:20 PM
jesseenglish

Don't pay exorbitant prices for the Dynomat brand name. There are many different types of sound deadener that work just as well or better at 10% of the price. My buddy installed FatMat in his car and I installed Brown Bread in mine. They are both good materials and cost much less. Just remember, the thicker the material is, the harder it is to install, but the better it deadens sound.

I know of at least 4 people who've used industrial grade Vibration Damping Compound off of the McMaster-Carr website http://www.mcmaster.com/ and they were very happy with the results. type in sound control in the search box. It's a paint on sound deadener that comes in a 5 gallon pail. Only problem I've noticed with this stuff is it takes a little time to get rid of the smell.

Oh yeah, and if you do it when it's hot outside, you might not be all that comfortable, but it'll make putting any dynomat/fatmat/brownbread much easier to install. As it gets more flexible the warmer it is. I used a heat gun to make my install easier ( did it in the dead of winter).

Last edited by jesseenglish; 05-03-2003 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:35 PM
alphaz

Thanks Jesseenglish,
For all the great info.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:31 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jesseenglish
Don't pay exorbitant prices for the Dynomat brand name. There are many different types of sound deadener that work just as well or better at 10% of the price. My buddy installed FatMat in his car and I installed Brown Bread in mine. They are both good materials and cost much less. Just remember, the thicker the material is, the harder it is to install, but the better it deadens sound.

I know of at least 4 people who've used industrial grade Vibration Damping Compound off of the McMaster-Carr website http://www.mcmaster.com/ and they were very happy with the results. type in sound control in the search box. It's a paint on sound deadener that comes in a 5 gallon pail. Only problem I've noticed with this stuff is it takes a little time to get rid of the smell.

Oh yeah, and if you do it when it's hot outside, you might not be all that comfortable, but it'll make putting any dynomat/fatmat/brownbread much easier to install. As it gets more flexible the warmer it is. I used a heat gun to make my install easier ( did it in the dead of winter).
do you have a link where they sell the no name Dynamat stuff at 10% the price??
Old 05-03-2003, 09:41 PM
labshark7

I was thinking of doing this as well.

Though, I have never used the stuff.

Do you guys really think there would be a difference? That is, enough of a difference to justify the price? The stuff is a bit expensive.

Though, I am sure you could do the entire job for under $200.00, there is not that much to coat.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:23 AM
jesseenglish

OK, maybe I exaggerated a little when I said 10%, at least 50% cheaper though. Best place I can say is look on ebay. Just to clarify how much you'll need, I did an entire 63 Karmann Ghia convertible from tip to tail with 70sq ft and had about 15 left over. There's no way you could use all 5 gallons of the liquid stuff unless you put like 40 layers down (may also be an exaggeration).

Some of them list thicknesses on there. As a reference Dynamat Xtreme is .044" (1.14mm) thick and for every 4sqft it will add 1.8 pounds to your car.

type in Dyanamat in ebay search and it'll come up with a lot that aren't dynamat.

The 350z has a lot of vibration in the cockpit. It is worthwhile if you're looking for a quieter ride and don't mind adding a little extra weight. Keep in mind that this is just a vibration dampener, if you want a true noise dampener you've got to look into some soft of acoustic dampener such as Dynamat's Extremeliner. This kind of stuff works wonders, but it's expensive as hell. This stuff is akin to the eggshell foam you find in sound studios. I'm sure you can find it without paying for the Dynamat markup.

Last edited by jesseenglish; 05-04-2003 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:51 AM
jesseenglish

For those who aren't sure 1.14 mm is 44mils, sometimes it's listed like that.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:59 AM
jesseenglish

I keep forgetting things, when you install this material whether it's brown bread, fatmat, dynamat, whatever you MUST make sure the surface you're putting it onto is clear of dirt and dust. The material must be installed on a clean flat smooth surface especially if it's a vertical surface. For some dumbass reason I tried to put it inside the doors on my ghia and there was a lot of that spray on sound deadener type material in there from the factory. Basically within a week it all just fell off because the surface wasn't smooth. I ended up having to sand it down so it would adhere properly.

Also make sure whatever you buy comes with some sort of roller to install it, that will make installation 1000% easier.

Last edited by jesseenglish; 05-04-2003 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:01 AM
alphaz

I just ordered the Fatmat 36sq ft. That should be enough to do the trunk and more if I decide too. I'm so tired of hearing all the road noise coming from the rear wheel wells.

Thanks for all your help jesseenglish
Old 05-05-2003, 12:40 PM
KJ-350

I totally agree!! Don't go spending all the $$ on a brand name! When all is said and done all these material anymore are just about the same! I just bought 100 sq ft roll of B-Quite (the makers of brown bread) for $100!! Dynomat brand would of cost 3 if not 4 times that amount for that large of roll! Oh and I got a free roller to help with the install too! LOL, brand "D" would of charged $10.99
Old 05-05-2003, 03:22 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I use FATMAT and it only cost me $40, it came with roller, utility knife, and 7 sheets I think, (Trunk Kit). It works really well, and the price is definitely right!
Old 11-15-2004, 09:26 AM
rcheeker

When you did your trunk with Fatmat, could you tell a big difference? Also, is the trunk the best place to start. It seems to me as if most of the road/tire noise is coming from up front. Has anyone done their hood? If I lined my hood with one of the products, would it run hotter or keep it a little cooler?

Originally posted by Apexi350z
I use FATMAT and it only cost me $40, it came with roller, utility knife, and 7 sheets I think, (Trunk Kit). It works really well, and the price is definitely right!
Old 11-15-2004, 10:12 AM
dannichols

Quote---------------------The 350z has a lot of vibration in the cockpit. It is worthwhile if you're looking for a quieter ride and don't mind adding a little extra weight. Keep in mind that this is just a vibration dampener, if you want a true noise dampener you've got to look into some soft of acoustic dampener such as Dynamat's Extremeliner. This kind of stuff works wonders, but it's expensive as hell. This stuff is akin to the eggshell foam you find in sound studios. I'm sure you can find it without paying for the Dynamat markup.----------

Has anyone installed foam accoustic sound deadener. I like my Dynamat. It dampen rattles and vibrations very well but only so-so on removing road noise. Has anyone added anything on top of their dampening mats???????