Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

HU Replacement for 2007 350z

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:38 AM
SargentZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HU Replacement for 2007 350z

Well finally got my new headunit installed, which included a steering wheel controller, and Sirius installation. Couldn't find any good info on removing the panels, even Crutchfield doesn't have a 'master sheet' for it yet, just some useless notes. Here's a quick run through with pix to help anyone else who tackles this project on their new 07.

use a panel tool to pry up the shifter cover from the 'back first' then it will pop out. You have to disconnect the heater control and hazard light cables at this time. I just rotated it out of the way as I couldn't figure out how to take the shift **** off. worked ok.

Next you take out the rubber mat thingy in the cubby. little rubber stubs hold it in place on the front. Once removed you pop out the two plastic screw covers in the cubby. You should see 2 silver phillips heads deep in there, remove them.

There are 2 silver philips head screws at the bottom of the center console right in front very visible, remove them.

on the bottom of the exposed center console deeper behind, you should see 2 silver philip heads and 2 gray ones. The gray ones hold the white plastic temp control module. I found I had to at least take the screws out to get it out of the way. remove the last 2 silver philips head screws that hold the center console bottom in place.

with all the screws removed you should be able to pop the center console out from the top by the guages, there is a clippy thing there that clicks it out. just pull on it from the top tilting it back, Disconnect the cable that connects to the guages.

Next remove the 3 connectors that connect to the actual stereo. The whole center console can be removed at this point.

I won't go into detail but there are a bunch of little screws that hold the doubledin stock unit to the console piece, just remove them and it will pop out.

Next I installed the single din with shelf piece into the console while out of the car, pryed up the tabs on the metal sleeves etc.

Next was the hardest part. To maintain my steering wheel controls I had to solder on resistor and cut the stock connector on the car. I just soldered lengths of wires to them and used wire nuts for all the connections.

Installing the sirus was relatively easy, I velcroed the box under the passenger seat and ran the power and antennae cable up through the console, around the shifter and to the back of the cubby. I used doubled sided tape and mounted the antennae inside the dash as far to the front as possible. No roof mounted ugly install here. I get fine reception through the dash to the sky.

When I put the console back in, the srew holes didn't line up that are behind the cubby, but the other 4 held it just fine and is very solid and looks nice.

I'd be happy to answer any questions for anyone attempting this procedure.
Attached Thumbnails HU Replacement for 2007 350z-z-stereo1.jpg   HU Replacement for 2007 350z-z-stereo1a.jpg   HU Replacement for 2007 350z-z-stereo2.jpg  
Old 06-27-2007, 03:20 PM
fizmixa

i did my 07 last week. took a lot longer than i expected but i was finally able to. nice install.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:16 PM
lbz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks nice. Have you considered moving the Sirius antenna to under one of the plastic panels on either side of the rear strut bar cover? I put my second one there (first one was where you put yours) and it works just as good and is out of sight.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:29 AM
SargentZ

Originally Posted by lbz
Looks nice. Have you considered moving the Sirius antenna to under one of the plastic panels on either side of the rear strut bar cover? I put my second one there (first one was where you put yours) and it works just as good and is out of sight.

it was much easier to put it under the dash than running it all the way to the back and having to take the strut covers apart. I read people doing that but seemed like unecessary work to me. I get great reception under the dash up front.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:37 AM
edchoy02

Where can you buy a "panel tool"?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:21 PM
SargentZ

I had to buy a whole figgin set of 'car install tools' to get mine, had most of the stuff in the kit already. Here's a link, should have did more searchin myself.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bvjjOOh...skipvs=T&g=820