Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

HD Radio bad reception problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 08:31 PM
blacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Radio bad reception problem

i just installed my new system and im having problems with my HD tuner reception.. when i had the antenna plugged directly into the deck the radio reception worked fine but now that i added the HD radio tuner i can hardly pick up any HD station or non HD stations.. my question is do you think this could be a grounding problem on the HD tuner or a bad Antenna cable gooing from the HD tuner to the Antenna? just thought i would ask before i went and ripped all this out and started from scratch.. any help would be appreciated..
thanks
Dustin
Old 07-02-2007, 03:58 AM
StreetOC192

Not 100% familiar with the HD radio technology, does the HD tuner use the factory antenna? Or does it have its own?

If it uses the factory antenna, maybe when you switch sources to HD Radio, the headunit turns off the antenna turn-on lead which cuts power to the antenna amplifier? Just a thought.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:29 PM
blacker

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Not 100% familiar with the HD radio technology, does the HD tuner use the factory antenna? Or does it have its own?

If it uses the factory antenna, maybe when you switch sources to HD Radio, the headunit turns off the antenna turn-on lead which cuts power to the antenna amplifier? Just a thought.
the factory antenna connects directly to the hd tuner by passing the headunit antenna input. im starting to think it is a bad antenna cable or HD tuner..
i changed the grounding spot but did not help... guess ill try a replacemnt unit.. not sure what else to do
dustin
Old 07-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Ichigo

I cant say I'm too familiar with HD radio either, but here goes
Guess #1 the stock antenna is powered, maybe when you added the HD tuner the power wire for the antenna became disconnected.

Guess #2 If the antenna goes right to the HD unit, wouldn't there be a connection from the HD tuner to the regular tuner?

Post up what kind of headunit your using and what HD tuner, that will help.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:11 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Ichigo
Guess #1 the stock antenna is powered, maybe when you added the HD tuner the power wire for the antenna became disconnected.
To me this makes the most sense (as I also stated above) because it sounds like instead of the antenna cable going to the headunit it plugs into the HD box. The headunit feeds off the antenna lead in the HD box for regular AM/FM reception.

So the antenna amplifier is getting power when the cable is plugged into the headunit, but it is NOT getting power when the cable is plugged into to HD box. I would check with the manufacturer of the headunit and see if the antenna turn on lead is dependant on the ground of the antenna cable being plugged into the headunit, which it will not have when the antenna cable is plugged into the HD box.

You could try hooking the antenna amplifier lead from the car to the amp turn on of the headunit instead and see if that solves the issue.

Last edited by StreetOC192; 07-03-2007 at 04:16 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:17 AM
Lsmith9523

I agree with StreetOC192,,,,,it deff sounds like the power antenna amp is not getting power when HD is selected. As Street said,,,,I would connect the power antenna to the amp turn on,,,as for the power source would not be "switched" when selecting HD. I hope this helps...
Old 07-03-2007, 05:36 AM
Ichigo

If I remember correctly the power antenna lead from the radio needs to be connected to a wire on the wiring harness. The actual antenna and the power wire for the antenna are two separate wires.

We should be the stereo council.

Last edited by Ichigo; 07-03-2007 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:02 AM
blacker

ok thanks alot guys you fixed my problem.. the power antenna wire on the HD tuner was not connected.. i guess i forgot to do that lol.. i apprecitate all the help..
Dustin
Old 07-03-2007, 08:42 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Ichigo
We should be the stereo council.
Let's get those business cards printed up!!!

Dustin, glad we could help out.