Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Is it just me, or does the BOSE Bass absolutely blow...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Seel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ Same here. I did about exactly what you describe, and can report I had the same results. (Good post... you understand.)

Before installing all the components of my CES build-up, I put in a high-end Clarion H/U... and ran the stock system with the Clarion H/U as the only new component (as a test). Everything was better (sound, terrestrial radio reception, CD player performance, etc.). But (and, as you point out), "better" is not necessarily "very good sound." An idiot in a room full of idiots is still an idiot.

Then I tried adding an amp (while keeping the Nissan EOM speakers). This did provide a slight (but hardly noticeable) improvement.

Finally...Adding good front speakers (I installed Focal 165V Slim component speakers) is what provided "very good sound."

Simply swapping the H/U will provide a minor improvement that may be satisfactory for some users, but this will not give you "very good sound." To get "very good sound," you need to replace the CES (H/U, amp, and front speakers).

--Spike
Adding a 10" sub with in a Zenclosure would be very very helpful in the bass department too. There are tons of different subs to choose from in a WIDE price range. Zenclosure can be had in the marketplace for sale section for $100 or less. Amps to drive a sub for $100 or less. As you can see it's not going to be an arm and a leg to really set a "very good" sound stage. Good luck and remember there are a lot of people here to help you if you need it.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:26 PM
kleefton

Originally Posted by Seel
In all seriousness I feel a little sorry for you. I added my Alpine headunit to the Bose system the week before I completed my entire sound system (PPI comps, 10" sub, 1200watt amp, Zenclosure...) so I know what you mean by it sounding better. You're right it sounds better. Does it sound good? No way, not even close. Maybe you've never been around an aftermarket sound system done right, but it's night and day over that. If the sound system is important to you at all, ask around here and put one together on your own budget. It's well worth it.
Ok. I can guarantee you that if you sat in my car you would be surprised. I mean, it's strange but Bose just seems to work best with Pioneer. It's been true for years. Again, this is the second time I've tried that setup and I've yielded good results. I mean, you guys honestly think I have not heard a $5000 sound system before? Of course I have. I know mine doesn't sound anything like that because it doesn't get nearly as loud and it just can't match the highs you would get with a well amped and subed system, but I can guarantee you that it sounds worlds better than stock, not just a little better. Maybe it's the fact that stock sounds so flat and dead, but it is definitely world better. I've had many people compliment me on the sound already and I've only had it on for a couple of months.

I am not interested in waking up sleeping neighborhoods with my sound system. I just want to be able to enjoy it when I drive, and I do enjoy it a lot more than before. Again, the only thing I feel it needs is more highs, the bass is more than enough. Trust me.

No need to feel sorry for me. But thanks anyway, I'm touched.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:45 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kleefton
Ok. I can guarantee you that if you sat in my car you would be surprised. I mean, it's strange but Bose just seems to work best with Pioneer. It's been true for years. Again, this is the second time I've tried that setup and I've yielded good results. I mean, you guys honestly think I have not heard a $5000 sound system before? Of course I have. I know mine doesn't sound anything like that because it doesn't get nearly as loud and it just can't match the highs you would get with a well amped and subed system, but I can guarantee you that it sounds worlds better than stock, not just a little better. Maybe it's the fact that stock sounds so flat and dead, but it is definitely world better. I've had many people compliment me on the sound already and I've only had it on for a couple of months.

I am not interested in waking up sleeping neighborhoods with my sound system. I just want to be able to enjoy it when I drive, and I do enjoy it a lot more than before. Again, the only thing I feel it needs is more highs, the bass is more than enough. Trust me.

No need to feel sorry for me. But thanks anyway, I'm touched.
you are dreaming.. go sit in a car with a nice system and you will finally realize how crappy your car sound.. as i explained to the other gentleman before.. a good system is not measured by if people around you can hear you car.. its based on if you can hear highs, mids and lows .. and usually with a good system at low volume you can hear all 3. With my windows up you can't hear anything coming from my car.. you sit in the car? sounds like you are in a concert hall.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Seel

Originally Posted by doug
you are dreaming.. go sit in a car with a nice system and you will finally realize how crappy your car sound.. as i explained to the other gentleman before.. a good system is not measured by if people around you can hear you car.. its based on if you can hear highs, mids and lows .. and usually with a good system at low volume you can hear all 3. With my windows up you can't hear anything coming from my car.. you sit in the car? sounds like you are in a concert hall.

+1 same here. There is nothing more than a whisper coming from my car when the windows are up. The Z is really good at keeping the sound inside. Sit inside the same car and sometimes you feel like every instrument in a song could all be played by your invisible passenger. It's awesome and the Z's small space does well for a VERY quick response of bass.

My Alpine HU did a great job of bringing the entire BLOSE system to it's full potential but that potential is comparitively WEAK against my PPI comps and 10" Alpine sub.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:49 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I changed my headunit due to the CDs constantly skipping, especially in colder climates and it does, in fact, sound better than the factory Bose system. However, a while ago, the factory Bose sub started cutting in and out (few months after with no problems up to that point). It would play perfectly fine then all of a sudden make sounds (like flicking an empty plastic cup from the bottom) and no more bass.

I thought I blew my sub, but then it works half the time (works better in hotter weather). I also tested it recently with bass test songs and it plays fine (well, it did until I turned it up too loud and then no more bass again). With regular songs, it just cuts in and out, regardless of the volume level. It only seems to be working (for the most part) when only low frequencies are being played, but it'll still go out after a while. Could it be that the sub is trying to play too high of a frequency (with regular songs) or is it blown? Maybe it's getting too much power and can't handle it? Sorry to hijack the thread, but this has been bothering me for a while.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:09 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
because it's fun. The bose system is actually pretty great for stock stereo, so yeah, I would think you only need to add more if you want to make your system annoyingly loud.

It appears you drive a G35... So I am guessing you think the g35 bose sounds good. It might. I have not heard it

Have you heard the BLOSE system in a 350z. It's so bad, it's not funny.

It is the single biggest let-down in the whole car. Only part of the car where I feel I got ripped off. It's criminal that they call that speaker behind the seat a subwoofer. There is no woofer about it. The -3db downpoint is probably 100 Hz. It is incapable of playing audibly below 70 Hz. Total waste.

I don't get it. Maybe Nissan was trying to hit a price-point with it or maybe Nissan gave Blose some weight specifications to operate within. Maybe Bose wanted the sub chamber to be sealed and Nissan was too cheap to do it.

The Bose system in the new pathfinder sounds pretty good. The Bose in the 07 Altima sounds really good. The Bose in the QX56 is mediocre. We just got screwed in the z.

My last system was Diamond Audio/Precision Power/Alpine/earthquake. I love it when I drive the old car! And I can go from sound quality to ****-off-the-neighborhood with the twists of a few ***** and buttons. Can't wait to hook up the z.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:55 PM
kleefton

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
It appears you drive a G35... So I am guessing you think the g35 bose sounds good. It might. I have not heard it

Have you heard the BLOSE system in a 350z. It's so bad, it's not funny.

It is the single biggest let-down in the whole car. Only part of the car where I feel I got ripped off. It's criminal that they call that speaker behind the seat a subwoofer. There is no woofer about it. The -3db downpoint is probably 100 Hz. It is incapable of playing audibly below 70 Hz. Total waste.

I don't get it. Maybe Nissan was trying to hit a price-point with it or maybe Nissan gave Blose some weight specifications to operate within. Maybe Bose wanted the sub chamber to be sealed and Nissan was too cheap to do it.

The Bose system in the new pathfinder sounds pretty good. The Bose in the 07 Altima sounds really good. The Bose in the QX56 is mediocre. We just got screwed in the z.

My last system was Diamond Audio/Precision Power/Alpine/earthquake. I love it when I drive the old car! And I can go from sound quality to ****-off-the-neighborhood with the twists of a few ***** and buttons. Can't wait to hook up the z.
I agree. Bose itself doesn't suck. It's their rendition in the 350z that totally blows. They also have some very bad ones in the Rsx-s, the old Honda Accords and such. But they have some excellent systems as well. Their lifestyle home systems are incredible considering the size of those speakers.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:10 PM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
how loud do you need your music? Are you guys a bunch of those annoying guys that make their cars sound like aluminum cans due to you weird rap music? lol. No offense but you only look cool to yourself when doing that lol.

Ahhhhh....................yeah.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:19 PM
toy4two

Originally Posted by kleefton
All I needed to do with the Bose system to get more bass was to replace the stock Bose head unit with something Pioneer. I have the Pioneer D3 head unit with navi and I'll be damned if I can't hear the Bose Sub now. Pioneer head units have a history of working well with bose factory systems. I did the same thing in an old Maxima of mine and experienced the same thing. The sound quality has gone from mediocre to just simply very good. The loudness I don't really care about but I've got chest pumping bass now and it's way louder than the stock unit. I could use more highs though, so I may add some tweeters later and maybe a nice amp, but the bass is there. Definitely there. You don't need to spend thousands to make this a good sounding system. That's just BS.

I'm surprised none of you "experts" has mentioned how weak the stock Bose head unit is, and that is is the main problem with the Z's Bose system.
Did you replace the factory BOSE amp too? I really want to maintain the OEM look with the factory head unit but want better sound. Couldn't you accomplish the same thing you did just by putting in a new (good) amp and front speakers?

Last edited by toy4two; 10-25-2007 at 01:24 PM.