Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Is it just me, or does the BOSE Bass absolutely blow...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:26 AM
TenTilFour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me, or does the BOSE Bass absolutely blow...

My old car was a 2001 Cougar with a premium sound package. The bass in my cougar was pretty good for a stock premium unit, but nothing too earth shattering. I figured that I would be upgrading bass wise with the Bose system in my 350z, but that just wasn't so. The bass feels very empty, and you can't even see the vibrations through the rear view mirror.

I saw some post awhile ago that had information on how to move your sub to the middle of the car in back, and to put it in a 350z fabricated sub box...Does this provide a lot of bass boost? Because I find myself avoiding bass songs in my Z just because they get destroyed in translation while in the Z...I listen to a lot of guitar and acoustic now =P
Old 07-02-2007, 07:34 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Lots of options for subs and placement. Honestly, though, if you are listening to a lot of guitar and acoustic, you'd be better off upgrading your front stage.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:50 AM
TenTilFour

Originally Posted by DVFlyer
Lots of options for subs and placement. Honestly, though, if you are listening to a lot of guitar and acoustic, you'd be better off upgrading your front stage.

It's not so much I prefer to the acoustic...it's that, with such a weak bass, I'd rather listen to such genre's =P
Old 07-02-2007, 08:37 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by TenTilFour
I figured that I would be upgrading bass wise with the Bose system in my 350z
First mistake was assuming that BOSE would be an upgrade from anything. Bose is a company that has excellent marketing and advertisement pushing a mediocre product, home AND auto.

Search and/or browse through the myriad of pages in this audio forum. There are several options from easy drop-in solution to complex custom fiberglass installations. Some guys have attempted to just replace the Bose sub with a 10" sub and some of them are satisfied and other were not. Probably the most popular solution is the Zenclosures box for either one or two 10" subs. But you have to be willing to give up a little hatch space.

Last edited by StreetOC192; 07-02-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:40 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

B etter
O ff With
S omething
E lse

Bose BLOSE!@
Old 07-02-2007, 09:01 AM
TenTilFour

yea I'm looking for a somewhat cheap solution...I'm fine with giving up some hatch space - I don't need anything amazing; just something that actually has bass/
Old 07-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Ichigo

Movement in any direction from the bose is an improvement. Zenclosures makes a nice under strut box, but you will need a new subwoofer and a real amp to power it. You cant retain the bose sub or amp.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:16 AM
RunyonAve

Originally Posted by Ichigo
Movement in any direction from the bose is an improvement. Zenclosures makes a nice under strut box, but you will need a new subwoofer and a real amp to power it. You don't want to retain the bose sub or amp, but they do make great paper weights for the office.
Fixed your post.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Ichigo

Old 07-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Lawy'dU

how loud do you need your music? Are you guys a bunch of those annoying guys that make their cars sound like aluminum cans due to you weird rap music? lol. No offense but you only look cool to yourself when doing that lol.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 AM
SargentZ

my stock non-bose system makes the rearview mirror vibrate. hmmm
Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
how loud do you need your music? Are you guys a bunch of those annoying guys that make their cars sound like aluminum cans due to you weird rap music? lol. No offense but you only look cool to yourself when doing that lol.
That's a great stereotype.......anyone who has interest in a subwoofer in a car is an annoying kid who blasts their rap music that can be heard 5 blocks away. Perfect logic.

Where does this even fit into the OP's original question? He's asking about adding a sub to an otherwise FACTORY system to add a little low end to his music.

If no constructive comments are going to be made, why bother wasting your time and everyone else's posting?

Last edited by StreetOC192; 07-02-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Lawy'dU

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
That's a great stereotype.......anyone who has interest in a subwoofer in a car is an annoying kid who blasts their rap music that can be heard 5 blocks away. Perfect logic.

Where does this even fit into the OP's original question? He's asking about adding a sub to an otherwise FACTORY system to add a little low end to his music.

If no constructive comments are going to be made, why bother wasting your time and everyone else's posting?
because it's fun. The bose system is actually pretty great for stock stereo, so yeah, I would think you only need to add more if you want to make your system annoyingly loud.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Seel

because it's fun. The bose system is actually pretty great for stock stereo, so yeah, I would think you only need to add more if you want to make your system annoyingly loud.
Your very immature posts lead me to believe you lack of something. Whether it be age, knowledge, understanding...etc.

By your standards the bose system is "actually pretty great" but the OP has a different opinion as do most people. Loudness has absolutely nothing to do with this post.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:31 PM
StreetOC192

It's not about 'loud' to 90% of the people who upgrade the system in their Z.....it's about sound quality.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kinda learned this the hard way in my e46...

First, I bought some subs, a box, and an amp. Installed it, the bass took over my mids and highs, so I had to upgrade speakers.

I took it into a shop and they tuned my speakers, said my stock HU can't handle all the speakers, so I bought a new HU.

After that, I needed a new amp for all my speakers, so I bought another amp.

Then comes installation, I had the subs custom built into my trunk. At this time, the subs were out of date and doesn't sound as good so i had to upgrade subs.

Total Cost: $3500. Then I sold my car with everything in it for $16,500, had over $10,000 in upgrades...lesson learned: Don't go crazy with your mods and only install things that you can turn around and sell later.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The Bose "upgrade option" in the Z is pretty much worthless. In fact that upgrade actually results in additional expense and headaches when replacing the Z's CES (something anyone who wants a quality CES will do since the stock Z's CES --no matter what model you buy-- "begs" for replacement).

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 07-02-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Ichigo

1) Louder than yours lol
2) Yes, I/we spend thousands on stereo equipment so our cars sound like an aluminum cans lol
3) Non taken, I really couldn't any care less about what you think lol

Thanks for contributing to the thread chief lol!

Last edited by Ichigo; 07-02-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:25 PM
RunyonAve

I spent 5500$ to obtain this alluminum can sound and all i do is drive around with my windows rolled down so everyone can hear me and know that my stuff can slam! I actually tried to obtain the same sound that i had in my 91 civic when i was 16. Everyone should strive to sound like that. There is absolutely no point in spending money on upgrading your system if others around you in stopped traffic can't hear it.

You sir are a duchebag.

Quick Reply: Is it just me, or does the BOSE Bass absolutely blow...