Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

System ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 10:52 AM
HDK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System ?

had a few questions since I'm going to install a system in my Z with some old car audio stuff I kept:

-Front/Rear speakers:
I see they are both 6.5" but are there enough clearence in the doors to fit the magnets that some of these higher end components have? I.e. MB Quart?

-Amps:
I plan on installing the amps in the compartment behind the driver's seat that the Bose sub was suppose to be. Is there enough room for airflow so the amps do not overheat?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Old 05-09-2003, 10:58 AM
MonkeyBoy

Default Re: System ?

Originally posted by HDK
had a few questions since I'm going to install a system in my Z with some old car audio stuff I kept:

-Front/Rear speakers:
I see they are both 6.5" but are there enough clearence in the doors to fit the magnets that some of these higher end components have? I.e. MB Quart?

-Amps:
I plan on installing the amps in the compartment behind the driver's seat that the Bose sub was suppose to be. Is there enough room for airflow so the amps do not overheat?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
You will need approximately 1 inch spacers for your 6.5's up front. Or you can dremel out the existing mount for the stock speaker and mount the MB's to it. Your choice. I made some MDF spacers with my jigsaw the other day so it works great. You can also purchase them at audio shops as well.

As for the heat transfer on your amps, I am not too sure since I do not know what kind of amps they are. Most people have put amps in the stock sub location with no problems. Do a search and you can see some of the setups. I plan on putting my JL 300/4 and 500/1 in there, so I will let you know if I get overheating when I do that this weekend.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:22 PM
HDK

thanks for your help!

I have a MTX4300X 4-channel amp and a Crossfire 390M 1channel amp. I want to conceal everything, but the shop suggested that they will overheat.

Subs: I have 2 12" JL W3s. Which direction should they face for optimal sound? Up, back, front?

Are you doing the installs yourself or going through a shop? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:45 PM
MonkeyBoy

Originally posted by HDK
thanks for your help!

I have a MTX4300X 4-channel amp and a Crossfire 390M 1channel amp. I want to conceal everything, but the shop suggested that they will overheat.

Subs: I have 2 12" JL W3s. Which direction should they face for optimal sound? Up, back, front?

Are you doing the installs yourself or going through a shop? Thanks.
I am doing the install work myself. The biggest pain is the navigation system. Finding all the correct wiring has been a challenge. For the subs, try to aim them towards the hatch window. That will give you the best response. Finding an ideal position is up to you. There have been several people on the forums here who have purchased sub enclosures that fit under the strut brace. You might want to look into something like that, although I think it would require more power facing the back of the car to produce the same response as aiming it up towards the window.

As for the amps, I really cannot tell you how hot they will run ... if the shop is telling you they will get hot, that might not necessarily be true. I am sure they do not want to install anything there in case it does blow because then you would have a claim that the install caused the damage to your amplifiers and they would be liable.

Hopefully if anyone else is reading this thread and has a comment on heat dissipation for these particular amps, they will chime in.