Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

New speakers/amps finally in

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 08:59 AM
nlauri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New speakers/amps finally in

I kept the Bose HU for looks and the convienence of a 6 disc in dash changer which I love.
Components added are from ebay except JLs which were on sale at shop where work was done.

Focal Utopia components 485.00
Precision 2 channel amp 215.00
JL 10W3 125.00
JL 250/1 amp 299.00
Left rear speakers in faded forward .May change out in future but like a front stage anyway.
36 sq feet Dynamat 98.00
Install was 800.00 and included wires/cables/sub box

It does sound alot better but not as good as I was hoping for. Probably the only way for a complete change is to switch out the HU but I don't want to do that
Another thing I am unhappy with is that the Focals don't fire up right away. There is a delay when all you have are rear speakers and after almost a minute the Focals start. Anyone got any ideas on that? Also if I sit with car not running the Focals will quit after a few minutes of play. Is this a power drain of some sort?

I can't get pixes to attach here so here is address for same
http://www.msnusers.com/my350zcompixes/shoebox.msnw
Old 05-11-2003, 06:01 PM
The Sopranos 16

I had a similar problem in my car. I have an aftermarket sub and amp hooked up and there was a problem with the remote switch on the amp. My installer told me that the factory equipment uses a 6 volt signal but aftermarket equipment requires a 12 volt signal. So, he hooked it up to some kind of relay switch that boosted the power and that solved the problem...hope this helps...
Old 05-11-2003, 07:02 PM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by The Sopranos 16
I had a similar problem in my car. I have an aftermarket sub and amp hooked up and there was a problem with the remote switch on the amp. My installer told me that the factory equipment uses a 6 volt signal but aftermarket equipment requires a 12 volt signal. So, he hooked it up to some kind of relay switch that boosted the power and that solved the problem...hope this helps...
Thats weird, the ACC is 12 volts not 6. I have it powering my LCD screen which requires 12 volts.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:43 AM
nlauri

Talked with my installer and he turned down the gain sensing (?) on amp so that power to focals won't quit unless I go below 4 on volume control. Still have warm up lag time when I start car but according to him this is because he didn't run off ignition switch so that if I choose to sit with engine off and listen I won't drain battery so the amp is current sensing and as long as I have volume above 4 the amp won't shut off. Still don't think the Focals sound near as good as they did in the showroom. Maybe it is the headunit which I guess I will leave in but get a new deck and put in the little box behind seat and run amps from it. Has anyone done this?
Old 06-04-2003, 02:19 PM
Tony27

Can you tell me what adapters you used to keep your stock HU and install your amps. Thanks
Tony
Old 06-05-2003, 02:51 PM
Cintel7

try using the remote lead from HU instead of RCA remote turn on.

As for the system:
I carpool with my friend that has a similar system to yours (Utopias with Phoenix Gold Ti amp and Alpine 7995)

In the show room, the mid range sounds wonderful but the tweeters was a little thin compare to Diamond Audio S600S, nevertheless, he bought the system since he likes the midrange. Now that it is in the car for 3 weeks, the tweeters just over power the midrange. Vacal sounds too lean, there no volume to it. Celine Dion sounds a little too fast and high, it sounds good with guitar music though. The system is very clean sounding, just a little too bright and forward for my taste.

It sounds more natural with -2 setting at 175K (Alpine HU) and crossover at 0 db. Or you can try setting the crossover at -4db if you don't have the Alpine HU.

FYI: I am going to convince him to change the Utopias to DynAudio 240MkII sets since I carpool with him.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:48 PM
nlauri

I have to agree with you
the Focal tweeters are very bright and overpower the mid range. Sometimes a guitar solo is almost painful when it is at higher frets. My installer even set the tweets in the - db range. Since I listen to my mp3 player almost exclusively now and it has it's own equalizer I have been playing with controls to attempt to tone down tweeters. For about 90 percent of play it is great. Have never heard the Dynaudio but may look for some and switch these out eventually. Too much $$ invested right now to change!

Anyone know if just switching out tweeters would help? Can you add a different brand to the Focal mids?