Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Component Suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats some good info ^^^

oh yeah, you may not think that the amplifier will make a big crap. but youd be wrong. I had my componets wired to an old handmedown crossfire amplifier. When I replaced it with my Elemental designs amp, it was like a night and day difference. I liked my componets hooked to the crossfire...now I freakin LOVE them. Spend some cash on a good amplifier with a low THD and a high sensitivity. Higher sensitivity numbers (both amplifier and componet) means "the volume (in db) that the product can produce before distortion begins." and THD (total harmonic distortion) is the inherint noise and distortion that the amplifier has. (amplifiers are listed in "classes" based on these two numbers) amplifiers with a high THD are usually monoblock or two channel amplifiers that are used mainly to power subwoofers. They have a high distortion level, and dont give a very "clean" (no noise) signal, because they dont need to. Subwoofer amplifiers are built to give the most output period. If you hook your componets to one of these amplifiers you will find that they will sound like the south side of a north bound donkey. Just pay attention to the two numbers that I gave you when choosing an amplifier to power you componets. It makes all the difference in the world. You will also find that when you get into paying for clean signal amplifiers...they are much more expensive (in terms of dollar per watt) than a subwoofer amplifier would be. So dont be shocked when the amplifier costs as much as the componets. The general rule of thumb in wattages is to power at least 3/4 of your componets PEAK rating, and at least 150% of your componets RMS rating. (some may disagree with this statement) so if your componets are:

200w peak
130w RMS
(this is each speaker btw)

you will need an 2 channel amplifier (if running two sets of componets.) that has a minimum rating of 150w RMS per channel. (may be listed as 150x2 or 300w total)

this is just a rule of thumb, just keep in mind that the lower the amount of juice that your amplifier feeds your componets..the higher that your gain will have to be set. Higher gain levels can melt amplifiers and as a general rule, the lower you set them...the better off you will be, and the better the longevity of your amplifier.

Make sure you also DO NOT increase the INPUT level to the amplifier..but rather the OUTPUT level. Meaning...

headunits and stereos have settings that enable you to push the signal PAST its original level. (I.E equalizers with levels over 0..+1,+2 etc, loudness settings. SLA settings, and speaker levels, sub and componets.) Don't set these settings higher than zero. This will increase distortion levels and make your signal less clear. It is ok to DECrease your signals to your amplifiers, but never INCrease them. If you need more volume, do it with your amplifier control and NOT with your headunit.

personally...and this is just me...I leave the equalizer of any headunit I get OFF or FLAT. Reason being is, the studio already equalized the signal with thousands of dollars worth of equipment. Is my little 400-500 dollar CD player going to do a better job? no. So I just leave the signal the way that the artist intented it to be. I also leave my subwoofer level and componet levels at zero. BBE stays off, and so does all that other worthless crap. All the "features" that most headunits display or boast are a complete freaking waste. A good system will be run by clean signal paths. Clean path from the headunit (higher preamp voltages) to the amplifier. Clean path from the amplifier to the speaker (low THD, High sensitivity) and clean path from speakers to ears. (high sensitivity. high freqency response, high wattage RMS)

you may notice that I said "HIGH" frequency response...why did I not say "wide" or something of the such?

componets that can play 50hz or lower do not impress me. You will have them on a crossover and you componets will probably never see that low of a frequency anyway. (thats why you have a subwoofer) A componet set with a frequency response of 100hz to 20khz would impress much more than one with 20hz to 2khz. Your componet set usually plays from 100hz and upwards. but will probably never see the lower bass frequencies (<80hz)

ok im done yakking. Im sure someone will disagree with what i have just said.