Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Component Suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 06:18 AM
Zulu-6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Component Suggestions...

I'm currently looking at component setups for under $300 to replace my Infinity Reference coaxial. My local dealer has recommend JL VR650, one reason being the tweeters will fit in the factory locations.

I know there are quite a few knowledgeable car audio people here so I would like some suggestions from you.

Thanks

Edit: Reason I am wanting to replace the Infinities is ever since I've amped them the highs have a "shrill" to them when played at higher levels.

Last edited by Zulu-6; 08-11-2007 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CDT audio FTW

you can get some HD series for about 300 bucks. will blow anything else out of the water in that price range.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=5091

wham. great componets at a great price.

Power Handling: 150 Watts RMS
Frequency Response: 55-20kHz
Sensitivity: 92.0 dB

find other componets at that price with those numbers. Just get a nice clean amp to push them and you will be amazed.

Last edited by Tackett; 08-12-2007 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:28 PM
dkmesa350z

CDT has some great choices. I also like Boston Pro60s, JL XRs, and my current set Rainbow SLC265 - http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products...n=7&art=231150 a wonderful set of comps. Let me know if you are interested and I will refer you to an authorized retailer that sells them for $225 shipped (where I got mine)
Old 08-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Tackett

I have not heard the rainbows personally, and as such, cannot vouch for them. But I can say I have heard EVERYONE say that they kick freakin ***. Ive not heard a single bad comment on them. As for JL, I have heard every single model available and I dont like them. In my opinion, they just dont have enough treble to them, and when you get the high frequencies up to snuff, they shut off from overload. However, this is only my opinion and you know what they say about that
Old 08-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Zulu-6

Originally Posted by Tackett
I have not heard the rainbows personally, and as such, cannot vouch for them. But I can say I have heard EVERYONE say that they kick freakin ***. Ive not heard a single bad comment on them. As for JL, I have heard every single model available and I dont like them. In my opinion, they just dont have enough treble to them, and when you get the high frequencies up to snuff, they shut off from overload. However, this is only my opinion and you know what they say about that
Would you say you like your high's "bright" then? For example, with my home audio setup I like more of a warm sound, don't really care for the horn tweeters that are in Klipsch which come off as "bright.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Zulu-6

Originally Posted by dkmesa350z
CDT has some great choices. I also like Boston Pro60s, JL XRs, and my current set Rainbow SLC265 - http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products...n=7&art=231150 a wonderful set of comps. Let me know if you are interested and I will refer you to an authorized retailer that sells them for $225 shipped (where I got mine)

Thanks for the recommendation! What kind of tweeter do they come with?

Last edited by Zulu-6; 08-12-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:54 PM
Zulu-6

...and will these fit in the stock locations?
Old 08-13-2007, 05:05 AM
StreetOC192

I really love my Diamond D661 components. The can be purchased with either a silk tweeter (warmer), or an aluminum tweeter (brighter) depending on your tastes. I really like the punchiness of the aluminum woofer. They can be purchsed for $200: http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2715

If you can extend your budget to $330, you can get their HEX series components, also with either silk or aluminum tweeters: http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=1138

However, asking for component recommendations is like asking for underwear recommendations......you won't know what YOU like until you try them on.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:08 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Zulu-6
Almost any component woofer will require a spacer to fit in the stock location. I think there might be a DIY on how to use the stock speaker bracket as a spacer...

Very few tweeters will fit in the sail panels in the stock location, but you can modify the sail panel to accommodate an after market tweeter......or you can relocate them to another location that might suit your listening tastes better.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:18 AM
Zulu-6

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
I really love my Diamond D661 components. The can be purchased with either a silk tweeter (warmer), or an aluminum tweeter (brighter) depending on your tastes. I really like the punchiness of the aluminum woofer. They can be purchsed for $200: http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2715

If you can extend your budget to $330, you can get their HEX series components, also with either silk or aluminum tweeters: http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=1138

However, asking for component recommendations is like asking for underwear recommendations......you won't know what YOU like until you try them on.
Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Yeah, I know speakers are a very subjective choice, I just don't have many options to listen to a variety of speakers in a small town.

Last edited by Zulu-6; 08-13-2007 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:21 AM
Zulu-6

Originally Posted by StreetOC192

Very few tweeters will fit in the sail panels in the stock location, but you can modify the sail panel to accommodate an after market tweeter......
Is it possible to do this with the tweeter that come with the D661s?
Old 08-13-2007, 05:29 AM
StreetOC192

Is it possible to do this with the tweeter that come with the D661s?
I didn't try to fit the tweets in the sail panels because I am using the Zenclosures door pods and the tweeter mounts in the pod.....If I had to venture a guess, I would say no only because you would need to make a custom bracket or maybe take the tweeter out of its plastic housing to get it to fit. It probably wouldn't be a direct drop-in replacement.

You could however remove the factory tweet and bracket, cut a hole in the plastic sail panel and use the flush mount cups to mount the tweets there....it just won't "look" stock.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:47 AM
james840a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from Infinity Reference components to Focal 3-ways and what an amazing differance in sound. My 3-way is mounted down in the kicks and door. My tweeter is not mounted in the sail anymore. Keep your tweeter close to the mid range speaker as possible. Having them mounted were factory is would not be the best.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Zulu-6

Thanks for all the recommendations but it all came down to what I could actually test with my own ears and today I went ahead with the JL VR650csi, they beat out everything else I was able to demo.

I will keep the Rainbows, CDT and Diamond in mind for future projects.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:41 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CDT
Rainbow
Hertz
Morel
DYNAUDIO
DLS
OZ Matrix
Id Max

all great comps
Old 08-14-2007, 04:50 AM
blasian

I'm enjoying my DLS UP6 components
Old 08-14-2007, 07:38 AM
james840a

Originally Posted by 350zspl
CDT
Rainbow
Hertz
Morel
DYNAUDIO
DLS
OZ Matrix
Id Max

all great comps
Dont forget Focal
Old 08-14-2007, 07:42 AM
Tackett

hey man just a wee bit of advice...dont put those tweeters in the stock location. If you hate bright highs, it will be ear peircing. The best place for them is in the kick panels. (where the fuse box is located. same on passenger side.) Measure and drill out two holes in the same spot and mount them there. you will get a much warmer sound.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:02 AM
jadaniya
Banned

Hey. I will offer my bit of input since I have been really into car audio in the past and some of my friends are really into them currently. I have heard the top of the line JL's (which of a friend of mine has paid $1,000 a pair for the front pair and $800 a pair for the back pair) and they are really good. If you amp them they are really LOUD and clear even from a far distance. You can hear him coming from far away. I'll put that out as a standard point as you can tell JL puts out good products, but in your price range it will obviously not be as good as a $1,000 pair of speakers. One of my other friends has a Boston acoustics (~$400 a pair) set up and they don't sound as good to me, but get fairly loud (not as loud as the JLs) and the highs are really ear piercing if brought up to a loud volume, while the JL's are more balanced. One of my friends also has a set of focals in his mr2. They are moderately amped and don't get as loud as the other two (mentioned above), but are really bright and sound amazing. So far, JL top of the line = too much $ to even consider, focals > boston. the bottom line focals ran my friend about $250 for a pair. they are in your price range and sound pretty damn good. I personally have a set of diamond D6s and think they sound great. They are currently amped to an mtx 4 way amp pushing about 75 watts rms to each speaker. they get loud enough in the car where you could push them further (but maybe too loud for in the car), but not that loud out of the car. they sound great and if I had to decide between the diamond D6's and the focals I'd just pick which ever one was cheaper b/c they are both good enough for me. I hope that helps you atleast a little. Brands that I haven't heard personally I suspect would be good are Image Dynamics and rainbows.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:31 AM
dkmesa350z

Thanks for the recommendation! What kind of tweeter do they come with?
Here is my install thread. They fit with some simple angled spacers and the tweets sit nicely in the sail panel
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227702

Quick Reply: Component Suggestions...