Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

pioneer head unit and bad stereo reception

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 04:37 AM
Quick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pioneer head unit and bad stereo reception

okay, i just installed (or this weekend at least) a new pioneer AVHP6400DVD player. It works great except for the stereo reception. It keeps fading in and out. This didn't happen with either of the previous 2 stereos i had (the stock, and an alpine). Any ideas on how to solve it?
Old 05-14-2003, 04:59 AM
noahbuddy

make sure the anntena power-lead is still connected. maybe the conversion plug you are using doesn't have that lead?
Old 05-14-2003, 07:01 AM
mf01

I am having the same problems with my rockford fosgate deck, whereas I didn't with this deck in my old car.

Originally posted by noahbuddy
make sure the anntena power-lead is still connected. maybe the conversion plug you are using doesn't have that lead?
I don't have the antenna lead connected. Is it some type of amplified antenna? I don't see why it needs to be connected. I mean usually it is for a power antenna.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:54 PM
Quick

yea, i don't have it conected either. I didn't realize it was power.

My new head doesn't have a power a lead. Should i connect it to to 12v ign wire or the remote turn on wire?
Old 05-14-2003, 10:06 PM
jeffa

Connect it to the amp remote turn on wire from the Pioneer unit. The antenna in the Z is amplified, and you will get crappy reception without sending power to this wire. It is referred to as the amp turn on wire in most wire diagrams I have seen on the Z. I can't remember what color the wire is in the factory harness that I connected to.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:07 AM
Quick

Okay, hooked it up last night.... much better now!!!
Old 05-15-2003, 06:58 AM
zaway

You guys rule, I've had this problem for a few weeks now.

Quick, which wires did you connect?

zaway
Old 05-15-2003, 08:00 AM
Quick

I hooked the remote turn on lead for the head unit to the power antenna wire on the metra harness. Works perfectly now!
Old 05-15-2003, 02:47 PM
MonkeyBoy

For those of you who are not using a harness and just crimping wires, on the stock stereo plug, it is the green/white striped wire that is the power to the antenna. Connect this to either your antenna power lead from your head unit or the remote amp turn on wire. Either will work.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:18 PM
jeffa

You should NEVER cut off the factory radio harness connector! This will be a warranty issue down the road...

You should always use a wire harness adapter. It's easy to prewire, and it allows you to reinstall the factory radio when you sell the car.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:07 PM
MonkeyBoy

There will only be a warranty issue if the stereo caused some sort of problem. Which I do not see happening. Unless of course you feel that the actual new headunit would be covered under warranty, and then maybe I can get it replaced if lightning struck my car ...

Otherwise, I honestly believe a dealer would be hard pressed to think that having factory wiring going into a headunit sans "connector" would cause a problem. Especially since an argument can be made that a "connector" and individual crimping is essentially the same thing, minus the $29.95 metra harness part. And if they did, sure as hell would have a huge lawsuit on their hands.

It is good to give people warnings in regards to mucking around with existing electrical systems in their car, but if those people know what they are doing, your response can be considered rude, not to mention inflammatory. A blatant statement of a warranty void is what makes several people not want to enjoy the potential of putting a new stereo in, or anything else for that matter.

Now for all the people who do NOT know what they are doing, yes, get the harness or have a trained professional stereo installer do the work for you. Oh and I can guarantee that 8/10 times (depending on the car mind you) a harness is NOT used at stereo installer shops.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:45 PM
jeffa

My post was not ment to be rude or inflamitory. If you took it that way, I'm sorry, but I still stand by my statement.

I've been in the industry for many years. Most shops use harnesses. It's easier to install a unit when you don't have to cut and splice into the factory harness, and dealers do not want to even approach a warranty issue by not using an aftermarket harness adaptor with the factory plugs. Trust me, I've been there...$9.95 for a Metra harness is cheap insurance, not to mention the ease of install.

And, a lot of dealers have a service where they will remove your aftermarket equipment that they sold to you when you sell your car as part of the original labor charge to install the system. Guess why they would not cut off the factory harness plug?
Old 05-17-2003, 12:02 PM
zaway

just connected the antenna wires and radio reception is back

Thanks for the help.

zaway
Old 05-22-2003, 11:02 AM
dbaker910

Thumbs up Bad Reception with Alpine HU

You guys are the best.......I had the same problems with my new Alpine HU. I didn't think that the antenna was powered. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-07-2005, 03:05 PM
boma

Thanks ! I just used this and it worked !!!