Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

NEED HELP!! electrical problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 04:03 PM
WhiteZon19s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP!! electrical problem!

I tried wiring my car today for an amp and subs, I could not find the remote wire, but found a wire that said "reverse". I assumed this was the remote wire, well i ran the rest of the wires and hooked everything up. I go to turn on my deck and, nothing. No dash lightslight up or anything. but the car still starts and runs. Headlights and marker lights still come on. I figured i must have blown a fuse or something, but it seems like all the fuses are fine... What did I do!?

Did send power to that reverse wire and mess something up?

any help is greatly appriciated.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:13 PM
nicholasm617

youll have to be much more specific with what wires were ran, what they were connected to, how they were connected, and where that reverese wire came from, also what equipment are you using?

when you say no dashlights up, you mean that not only was your deck not working but your instrument cluster wasnt lighting up???
Old 08-17-2007, 04:19 PM
WhiteZon19s

Yes the instrument cluster would not light up either.
I ran a power wire from the battery to the amp, RCA wires from deck to amp, a ground wire for the amp, and the remote wire. The "reverse" wire came from te back of the deck. I have a Jensen touch screen and could not find the remote wire, and thought that the reverse" wire was the remote wire.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:21 PM
ARMSTRONGARMS

remote wire should be blue or blue with white stripe, i think its a green wire that you ground also in order to watch dvd while you drive.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:23 PM
ARMSTRONGARMS

where did you connect what you thought the remote wire was to??? hopefully to a switched power source
Old 08-17-2007, 04:28 PM
nicholasm617

Originally Posted by WhiteZon19s
Yes the instrument cluster would not light up either.
I ran a power wire from the battery to the amp, RCA wires from deck to amp, a ground wire for the amp, and the remote wire. The "reverse" wire came from te back of the deck. I have a Jensen touch screen and could not find the remote wire, and thought that the reverse" wire was the remote wire.
does the deck have some sort of reverse camera or notification system? sounds like maybe it would be for a camera (never installed a touchscreen)
what id do is disconnect the remote wire, connect it temporarily to a positive straight from battery to check that the amps are turning on, see if the deck will turn on with this remote wire disconnected from the reverse wire. if it doesnt, double and triple check you have correct voltage going to the deck, and amps, then visually check for any problems in the wiring like chafing or obvious breaks, if you havent checked fuses of course do that first (i think i remember u said u did) and the deck should have one or two in the back of it.
did you install the deck previously and it worked fine or was this all one install leading up to this problem?
Old 08-17-2007, 04:28 PM
WhiteZon19s

I connected it to a wire that said "reverse" i believe it was green with a white stripe, if power was sent to there what did I mess up?
Old 08-17-2007, 04:31 PM
WhiteZon19s

Yes the deck was installed previously and worked fine, i will check the things you have noted and post the results, and now that iI think about it I remember reading that It ciuld be hooked up to a camera aw man what did i do to my poor Z
Old 08-17-2007, 04:34 PM
WhiteZon19s

deck does not turn on with the remote wire disconneted from the reverse wire...Its like I poped a fuse but I cannot find a blown fuse.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:34 PM
nicholasm617

did you read your manuals yet?
Old 08-17-2007, 04:39 PM
nicholasm617

Originally Posted by WhiteZon19s
deck does not turn on with the remote wire disconneted from the reverse wire...Its like I poped a fuse but I cannot find a blown fuse.
hmmm, try reconnecting that wire, put the car in reverse and see what happens, typically amps are setup to turn on wether supplied voltage or a ground with the remote wire. im assuming that either the reverse wire is to provide an on signal to the camera or a signal wire to sense if the cars in reverse or not and then the deck internally switches to camera, youll need to find a way to get the wiring diagrams in your manual online so i can look at them just to first figure out how the electricity may have run once you turned that key.
did you try hooking up the amps remote wire to 12v+ to see if they turn on (of course no sound will be heard but you should hear feel or see something when they do.)
edit: also check the fuse behind the deck.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:17 PM
WhiteZon19s

Fuse in the deck is still good, I will try finding a wiring diagram right now, i did not try to see if the amp will turn on from the remote wire because what will that tell me? That my amp works? And you say to reconnect the reverse wire, do you want me to reconnect it to the remote wire?
Old 08-18-2007, 06:55 AM
WhiteZon19s

Well...my radio deck wont work but when i pluged it in and rehooked the negitive terminal, a CD came out, so it still must have power going to it?
Old 08-18-2007, 09:00 AM
nicholasm617

it its doing anything then its getting power,
the suggestion to try and turn on the amps was just to check they still work, to get that out of the way to know u didnt damage them.
the way you diagnose something liek this is to narrow down the problems first.
im having trouble finding a good answer to tell you without seeing wiring diagrams.
yes reconnect the remote to the reverse wire and see if anything happens when u put it in reverse, im not expecting it too but again...without diagrams or some info on the deck this is just another possible thing to try to get more info on the problem and where its stemming from.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:44 AM
WhiteZon19s

I figured it out it did end up being a fuse, it was the "mirror fuse" I dont see how this would affect my dash lights and whatnot, but thanks man you were very helpful. Im so releaved i didnt damange anything.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:01 PM
nicholasm617

hahaha thats very odd, the fuse system on these cars is retarded anyways. glad you found the problem.