Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Anyone recommend JBL, Alpine or MTX amplifiers? (2) JL 10w3v3

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:19 PM
The Closer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone recommend JBL, Alpine or MTX amplifiers? (2) JL 10w3v3

Picking up two 10w3v3's this week and a Zenclosure is on its way for 2 10" with amp rack. Looking to try some different amps though, JL amps seem to be a bit pricey for the power when I see others that are cheaper and rated higher RMS as well. Looking at mono/2 channel Alpine, JBL and MTX amplifiers. I hear JL is great, just want to make sure I get something nice.

- JL 10w3v3 are each rated 300 RMS single 4 ohm.

- I like the idea of the JBL mono pushing 700ish RMS @ 4 ohms X 1 channel and run the subs in series OR a JBL two channel amp configured however it needs to be. The JBL seems VERY affordable for me with regards to their power. My friends consider them a very underated amp and they are my top choice at the moment.

- Alpine and MTX both have two channel amps within my price range for 300 RMS @ 4 ohms X 2. Not sure if I should bridge them for 1 channel since they are over 600 RMS @ 4 ohms X 1 Bridged channel, or to leave them 2 channels.

Any advice or knowledge on the sound quality of these amps would be appreciated. I'd like to turn the bass gain down on my setup and not run full RMS the whole time. I never push audio equipment to the limits and I don't plan to start now.

Last edited by The Closer; 09-10-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:35 PM
StreetOC192

For sub bass, I would recommend running mono. Your best bang for the buck would be a class D mono subwoofer amp that has an RMS with some overhead. This way you can more efficiently run the amp as you said with the gains down a bit but still pushing some nice wattage.

I feel JL Audio amps, although nice/solid/produce rated power, to be a bit overpriced for what you get. For a nice mono amp look into Crossfire. They are solid amps that produce over rated power (since their VR line are rated at 12volts, add about 20% to rating for 14.4volts). They even com with birth sheets so you know exactly what YOUR amp is putting out. The VR2000D is rated at 1000x1 into 4 ohms, while the VR1000D is rated at 500x1 into 2ohms.

I had their 5 channel VR705D in my Xterra and that thing was a freakin' CHAMP!

Last edited by StreetOC192; 09-10-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:01 PM
The Closer

Right now I have a 5 channel Memphis belle that came with the Z I bought used. I know it doesnt have enough power in the 5th channel to do two w3's though.

I'll look up crossfire. I am told that bridging a two channel is safer and more effective. So, I figured id bridge a 2 channel to do more than 600 RMS, I assume that is what I need. I am still learning this stuff though, so any input would be awesome because I dont know what bridging does, or how to run the subs parallel/series or how many RMS I need for both etc.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the JL 500/1 in two cars, it does a good job.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:48 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Closer
Right now I have a 5 channel Memphis belle that came with the Z I bought used. I know it doesnt have enough power in the 5th channel to do two w3's though.

I'll look up crossfire. I am told that bridging a two channel is safer and more effective. So, I figured id bridge a 2 channel to do more than 600 RMS, I assume that is what I need. I am still learning this stuff though, so any input would be awesome because I dont know what bridging does, or how to run the subs parallel/series or how many RMS I need for both etc.

whom ever told you that bridging two channels is safer and more effective than a mono block, is IMO, wrong. as long as you get the right amount of clean poewr, at the right frequencies to the sub, its gonna sound about the same.

in todays eworld, there is n oned to bridge a two channel amp on a sub unless for some reason, you are looking to sap MORE power from the car's electrical system and place more stress on it, as two channels almost always are less efficient and require more current to produce the same amount of watts as today's mono block often class D sub amps.

your memphis belle, depending on which general and model you have, shoulkd have enough power for two 10w3s no prlblem and i suggest you use that.

the first original belle made around 500 watts at 2ohms in the mono channels, later models made if i recall 600 and 1100 watts at 1ohm in the sub channels, so you either get two dual 4ohm or dual 2ohm subs depending on which memphis you nave, and go from there...the belle would work just as well as a sepraate two channel bridged

b
Old 09-10-2007, 07:46 PM
The Closer

Well, I would like to get the Memphis out of my car, as it is very big and a chrome casing. I want to go with all black amps if I can to hide them a little better. It is a 16-MC600D http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...16-MC600D.html

I dont know how to figure out Ohms etc. I know the JL's I am buying are 10w3v3-4 the 4 ohm ones. If you can tell me what RMS at what ohms and channels I need to look for to power them, as well as series or parallel for them, that would be AWESOME! If that memphis does in fact have the power to power both 4 speakers like it is with the 4 channels AND power the sub with the 5th channel, then I'll keep it.

Last edited by The Closer; 09-10-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:33 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

if you have the 4ohm ones, the you need an amp that putout itsbest power at 2ohm.

so either a mono block amp that makes its highest power as 2ohm

or a two channel amp that is 2ohm MONO BRIDGED stable.

the belle you have makes its most power at 1ohm, so it is not hte right amp for the two 4ohm 10w3s. are you looking for a sginel amp that can power your entire system?

what kind of budget range?

b
Old 09-10-2007, 08:53 PM
The Closer

Well, had planned to replace the Memphis wth two amps. Wanted to get a 4 channel amp for the current speakers installed which I may change once I find out what they are, as well as for the subs. Now, I have not bought the subs yet, I can still buy the subs rated 2 ohms, however I am going for sound quality and I was told 4 ohms was better. These do not have to hit rediculously hard for me, the Diamond 10" in factory location already feels nice to me, just wanted some more and a new box.

I know almost any amp doing 75 RMS X 4 channel will do fine for the speakers. Had a kenwood 4 channel running Alpine components/6X9 just great in my Civic.

If I am going to spend $350 on these subs, I might as well buy a proper amp to power them. So budget, eh, something that will properly run the subs at the correct RMS and wont overheat, blow the subs or quit working on me. Would like it to be $350 or less on the subs amp. I am trying to sell the memphis and diamond to get another $300 or whatever to add to the new system.

These are the amps I have been lookin at for the subs, not sure if it is over powering or under powering. If overpowering that is good, wont have to keep the bass gain at full power. Ive seen your posts and I know you know what you're doing. I will take your advice cause you do some great work in the Z's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MTX-AUDIO-TE801D...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/MEMPHIS-PRD1000-...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-PDX-1-600...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by The Closer; 09-10-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:07 AM
SpeedRcr

jbl crown series amps are nice
Old 09-11-2007, 11:40 AM
The Closer

I have a buddy that DJ's and lives for JBL. He says they are a very underated company, makes great equipment for him and knows their quality goes for amplifiers as well. The mono JBL is my favorite right now, if I am to get an amp for 2 ohms they have one that does 1000 rms at 2 ohms for one channel and 700 at 4 ohms.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...O1201.1II.html

Last edited by The Closer; 09-11-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:49 AM
SpeedRcr

pay a little more and get the crown series you will be very happy
Old 09-12-2007, 10:03 AM
The Closer

I have not seen the crown series, links?
Old 09-12-2007, 11:22 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

crown series is the high end of the JBL line.

b
Old 09-12-2007, 01:19 PM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
crown series is the high end of the JBL line.

b
I didn't think it was just a 'line' of amps from JBL, isn't it a collaboration between JBL and Crown which is a high-end home/studio amp manufacturer?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:48 PM
The Closer

I can't find the Crown series for JBL and if they are anything over $400 it will be out of my price range.

Anyone know anything about Soundstream? Stumbled upon their amps earlier this morning.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:11 PM
DHCrocks

Alpine PDX600.1 or 1000.0 would be a nice sub amp. it's super small, and is very efficient.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:33 PM
The Closer

Yes I am looking at both of those. I would like to have a fan cooled amp, which neither are. I dont why I want that option so bad, but I do not want my amps shutting off. Opinion noted though and thank you!
Old 09-12-2007, 03:36 PM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love JBL, Alpine, and MTX amps. MTX, performance for price, are definitely the best I've used. Currently I run a Thunder 502 to my components and a JBL GTO601.1 to my sub and it sounds great
Old 09-12-2007, 03:59 PM
DHCrocks

the pdx mono amps due tend to run a bit hot but I never had a problem with them shutting down due to heat. fans are generally used when there is not enough heatsink area to dissipate the heat. Personally I would rather not have fans as it's one less thing to break down, less noise, and the main reason is that fans tend to circulate air through the amp and this will tend to pull in dust into the amp which will make it even less efficient at dissipating that heat. Ever look inside a PC? it's loaded from dust from the fans.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:28 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
I didn't think it was just a 'line' of amps from JBL, isn't it a collaboration between JBL and Crown which is a high-end home/studio amp manufacturer?

right, but i was thinking he meant the crown line of JBL amps, and not for ihm to go off and buy a crown amplifier

hence the crown amp he meant is the high end jbl line hehe

technicalities

Quick Reply: Anyone recommend JBL, Alpine or MTX amplifiers? (2) JL 10w3v3