Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

It's Finally Here...The In-Car PC!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 07:50 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It's Finally Here...The In-Car PC!

It's Finally Here...The In-Car PC!
I got it from Chazz. It is 900 Mgz processor, 40 GB HD, 512 RAM with both internal and external DVD/CD ROM Drives. It has the flexible keyboard, the RF wireless mouse and a total of 6 USB ports. I have the CoPilot 2003 GPS Nav also. It comes with the Xenarc (non-touch) VGA screen.

I have been messing with it sitting on my desk hooked up to AC power for now. It's really cool how the Nav shows me where I am (a little circle right over where my house is. It even tells me the address!). I have been transferring files, pictures, MP3's and Music Videos from my main computer onto the In-Car PC. Hopefully install this weekend or next.

Here are some pics:

The Xenarc
Attached Thumbnails It's Finally Here...The In-Car PC!-the-in-car-pc-001.jpg  

Last edited by Dr Bonz; 05-21-2003 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

A pic of the whole setup with a pic of us on the Xenarc:
Attached Thumbnails It's Finally Here...The In-Car PC!-the-in-car-pc-011.jpg  
Old 05-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

The GPS Nav:
Attached Thumbnails It's Finally Here...The In-Car PC!-the-in-car-pc-004.jpg  
Old 05-21-2003, 07:52 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Rocky III DVD:
Attached Thumbnails It's Finally Here...The In-Car PC!-the-in-car-pc-006.jpg  
Old 05-21-2003, 07:53 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

A pic of the one click interface that allows me to go where I need to go with one simple click:
Attached Thumbnails It's Finally Here...The In-Car PC!-the-in-car-pc-014.jpg  
Old 05-22-2003, 01:54 AM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah CoPilot is nice, Just got it installed in my car today (under the dash, near where the stock one would go) There is no way for anyone to steal that bad boy (cause it was a #$% to put in) I think I have to reset my system time, cause in my driveway it tells me to hang a right to go home. Funny, those are the same usb hubs i got (got 8 usb ports, going to and another 2 or 4)
Old 05-22-2003, 02:14 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Actually, I forgot one. I have 7 USBs. Two in the back, and two in the front. I'm using one of the front ones to split out to a four port hub.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:25 PM
alienx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if someone could give me a quick education here? What is the advantage of a setup like this? Is it just cool to have a computer?

The reason I am asking is that when I read all the in-car computer discussions back in Winter, it sounded like you would have all the functionality of NAV, DVD and whatnot, but at a fraction of the cost of conventional setups. Something like $900.00. But if I read the other guy's install post, it seems like this computer costs closer to $2900.

Just trying to figure this all out. I would like NAV and DVD in my car too but I am not quite sure how I am going to go about it yet.

Thanks. Andy
Old 05-22-2003, 01:33 PM
shagz

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
A pic of the one click interface that allows me to go where I need to go with one simple click:
Is there a way to adjust the font size of the labels? Also, the right side of the interface is out of bounds of the screen. I looked at the config file etc, but couldn't see anything. Has anyone heard about Talisman? It is a similar interface, but could be a tad more complicated.
I got the PC from Chazzg yesterday, and installed XP Pro. Everything runs smooth, but I did not envision ever needing to connect to the internet from the autopc, so did not install the TCP/IP and Networking components. But then I found out that I do need to apply the ServicePack, to have USB2.0 support. The external DVD drive is vrtually unusable for DVD viewing witout the USB2.0 driver. Oh well....will have to monkey around with the network setup over the weekend. I'll still prolly wait for a couple of weeks till I decide on and get a GPS system. Just can't decide if I should bite the bullet and shell out $350 for CoPilot, or just get the $60-70 delorme/earthmate/street atlas system from ebay. What is a good place to install the receiver? I heard under the dash? But can it see thru the plastic? I guess it should be able to, since it can see thru glass?
Old 05-22-2003, 02:01 PM
alphared

well the way i looked at justifing my CoPilot purchase was that $350 was WAY less than the stock nav. Plus its probly the best nav system out there. I hid my gps receiver under the dash in the center (near the 3 gauge pods) works well, have to test it some more, with all this cloudy weather, hard to tell if its the cloud that gives me an ok signal or the dash.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:19 PM
all_bark

Originally posted by alienx
I was wondering if someone could give me a quick education here? What is the advantage of a setup like this? Is it just cool to have a computer?

The reason I am asking is that when I read all the in-car computer discussions back in Winter, it sounded like you would have all the functionality of NAV, DVD and whatnot, but at a fraction of the cost of conventional setups. Something like $900.00. But if I read the other guy's install post, it seems like this computer costs closer to $2900.

Just trying to figure this all out. I would like NAV and DVD in my car too but I am not quite sure how I am going to go about it yet.

Thanks. Andy
well, you could pay $2000 to nissan and get
nav
lcd screen. (see the period, that means THATS IT)

OR

buy a IN Z PC for anywhere from $2000-3000???? and get
nav
vga screen (way better quality, higher pixals I believe?)
internal dvd player (optional external dvd or dvd/cdrw)
mpeg player (windows media 9)
wireless mouse (controls Z-PC, dvd + mpeg players including the volume, FF, RW, works out of the car)
floppy keyboard
internet access
upgradability! (not a period and exclamation, as in YAHOO!!!!!)

BTW - Doc Bonz - Congrat's and good luck on the install!
Old 05-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Scafremon

Originally posted by alienx
The cost basically depends on your comfort level in assembling a computer, and how much time you want to spend shopping for the components, and buying each component.

I spent under $1,400.00 for my DVD playing, GPS navigating, internet connecting, touch-screen dispaying, smart-controlled power supplying, wireless mousing/keyboarding/networking, FM-modulating computer-in-a-car device. Could have done it for under $1,000.00 by eliminating a couple bells/whistles. One thing I did not get that Doc got with his system was the "Helo" option he has on his screen. Not sure what that does exactly, but it sure sounds expensive. :-)

Epia M9000
256mb ram
Casetronics 2699R Case
Pioneer Slot DVD
toshiba slim dvd
Deluo GPS Receiver
Navstar Navigation
MS Mappoint Trial CD
Windows XP Pro Upgrade
Gyration Wireless Keyboard Mouse
Aluminum Shelf Parts
IDE Connector
Power Cabe Extensions
Dlink DLW-120
CD Audio Splitter
60gb Maxtor HD
DS Customs Touch Screen
Clarion FM Modulator
3.5mm RCA Adaptor
Cable Ties
Wire / Terminals

Last edited by Scafremon; 05-22-2003 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:09 PM
ravaz

I have a question. How are you running the power for this PC and the screen? What are you guys going to be tapping into? Just curious.

Bill
Old 05-22-2003, 07:20 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Is there a way to adjust the font size of the labels? Also, the right side of the interface is out of bounds of the screen. I looked at the config file etc, but couldn't see anything.
You are correct, thus the "HELO" option that Scaf pointed out.

You can adjust this and also adjust the clock and the font colors too.

Just go to: Start, My Computer, Local Disk C, Program files, 350Zinterface, Themes, then click on the one that is your name (i.e. mine says Dr Bonz) then click on themedata. A notepad file comes up. It is pretty self explanitory. I made the grey "hover" color black since the gray wasn't showing up on the "Skin" of my car with the flowery trees behind it. I also made the clock numbers bigger and made them black as well. The font code for white is 255255255 and for black it is simply 000000000.

I also changed the Y axis of all of the clock numbers to raise it up on the pic a little bit. Looks really good now and easier to read. If you play with the numbers you can change any of it.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:23 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

All_Bark should be the one to answer this since his is all installed. Mine is plugged into AC right now on my desk. You can use any power source I would assume. Maybe Scaf could help also since his is in also I believe.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:46 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

One thing I did not get that Doc got with his system was the "Helo" option he has on his screen. Not sure what that does exactly, but it sure sounds expensive. :-)
Here, are ya happy now smart guy!
Attached Thumbnails It's Finally Here...The In-Car PC!-the-in-car-pc-015.jpg  
Old 05-22-2003, 07:58 PM
shagz

Thank You Dr. Bonz. But I still don't get the 'Halo' joke.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:05 PM
Scafremon

Originally posted by ravaz
I have a question. How are you running the power for this PC and the screen? What are you guys going to be tapping into? Just curious.

Bill
i'm powering my screen from the computer power supply. I cut off the DC plug on the end of the screen power cable, and wired this to a 12v output from the computer power supply. As for the computer power supply, I wired this to available circuits in the fuse box at the drivers' feet area.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:12 PM
shagz

Originally posted by shagz
Thank You Dr. Bonz. But I still don't get the 'Halo' joke.
Ahhhh....HELP !!
Old 05-22-2003, 09:12 PM
all_bark

Bill

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
All_Bark should be the one to answer this since his is all installed. Mine is plugged into AC right now on my desk. You can use any power source I would assume. Maybe Scaf could help also since his is in also I believe.
Chazzg mentioned this to me today as well. I tapped into the power supplies that lead into the "premium" bose sound system.
There are two plugs into the bose HU. the bigger plug is the one you want. The BIG wire on that plug will get you constant power so I spliced into it and ran power for the xenarc and the pc's constant on. The light green wire (I think) with the purple stripes (located on the other row than the BIG wire and on one end of the row) is used for the aux. on and for the fm modulator.

Be sure to use a test light and confirm power sources before cutting into wires. also be sure to unplug neg. battery cable when hooking any of the power lines to pc or video screen.

Quick Reply: It's Finally Here...The In-Car PC!