Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

water leak after install

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 01:06 PM
scottrocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water leak after install

Well I just washed my car yesterday for the first time since my system install and went to roll down the passenger side window and it didn't go down. After investigating a little I found the the whole passenger side floor was all wet and I'm not positive but i think the water came in from where i have my power wire running into the cabin from the engine bay. I ran it through the main wiring harness thinking water wouldn't get there because thats where all the other wires are run into the cabin from but i guess i was wrong? Any ideas on what in that area might cause my window to not roll down? I checked the doors to make sure everything was all plugged in and it is. Also, where do you guys run your power wires? apparently i need to change where i have mine because it's causing issues. Hopefully the window situation isn't something serious thats going to end up costing me, think it may have blown a fuse somewhere? where is the fuse for the windows?

thanks for any help.

scott
Old 09-29-2007, 02:50 PM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

That is very possible. I remember talk about leaking there in the past. If you can confirm it, you can use some silicone to seal around where you ran the wires.

As far as the window, I remember hearing about a reset button somewhere.... sorry, I don't remember where. Hopefully someone will chime in.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:15 PM
350Z84

They may have taken your door panel off, and forgot to do the motor reset procedure. Is your window indexing up and down when you open and close the door?
Old 09-29-2007, 05:25 PM
scottrocket

At first it was indexing down and up, barely down, but all the way up snug. Now it doesn't even to that, I had to pull the window up that 1/2 inch to get it to seal now, opening the door nothing happens, and closing the door nothing happens, pushing the window up/down buttons from either door and nothing happens. How do I reset the window motor?
Old 09-29-2007, 05:34 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to seal up that hole in the grommet where you ran your power wire though! Use some silicone.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:50 PM
350Z84

I'll see if I can find the procedure for removing the door panel, but if the connection isn't hooked up where the switch is, the power doesn't work to it.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:01 PM
scottrocket

well i said in my first post that i checked the connections already, and it was hooked back up correctly, i did the install myself so i know how to take the doors off and check that, just lookin for some advise before i start really digging into it tomorrow so i know what to look for.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:05 PM
scottrocket

I just sealed up that spot where my power wire was running, guess now all i have to do is figure out whats going on with my window, I guess i'll pull the door apart tomorrow and inspect the motor, it's hard to believe it could be all jammed up with carbon dust or whatever already since i have only had the car for 2 months and have 1600 miles, barely even broken in yet....I just hope that water comming in didn't screw something up electrical in that area to cause this problem, it seems to be directly related to the water though since i had my windows rolled down like an hour before i washed my car and they were both working perfectly.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:19 PM
KPierson
Banned

Did you run new wires in to the door?
Old 10-01-2007, 06:54 PM
scottrocket

well I figured out what the window issue was, and i'll probably get laughed at like none other for this.......somehow the window lock button got pressed, and in seeing the water on the passenger side i jumped to the conclusion something shorted out instead of checking the dummy stuff first. But about the water leak, i did run speaker wires from one amp to my door speakers and just ran the wires behind the rubber seal thing at the edge of the door opening near where the other wires are run through the tube to the door, but i ran both the drivers side and passenger side the same way and didn't have water in the driver side so i don't think water is comming in there. It rained pretty good today and I checked the passenger side floor for water and it was totally dry so I am hoping that my water leak issue is totally fixed now. I guess the hose will be the big test to make sure though the next time i wash it.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Nucleus

glad to hear its not gonna cost you anything.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:16 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

After thinking about this for a while, I can't see how the water would have gone from the wire boot into the door....

Is it possible the window was down while you washed the car?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:45 AM
r3zon8

what is the motor reset procedure?

i totally forgot that my car used to do that...slightly lower the window when the door was opened, and raise itself just a bit when the door is closed...

im pretty sure its not doing that anymore after the alarm install?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:58 AM
scottrocket

well, the wire wasn't run through the boot, it was run under the side of the boot down the hole, so the boot wasn't sitting flat on the surface, the wire was run under it. Now i put a hole in the top of the boot and ran the wire how it should have been run from the start. And looking at it, I can definitely see how water was coming in there with the pressure from the hose, maybe rain water wouldn't be able to make it, but the hose could get water in that area for sure. I'm positive my windows were up when i washed, nothing else was wet but the floor, if my window was down, the inside of the door, the dash, the seat....hell everything woulda been wet. The water went from the boot to the floor, not the door, and it's a styraight shot down from the boot to the passenger side floor, which is what was all wet.