Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Mount Valentine under tint line?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 06:26 PM
EmpiricalGMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mount Valentine under tint line?

Has anyone mounted their Valentine under the tint line of their windshield? Have you noticed any decrease in its performance?

The Valentine website says this makes no difference on some cars, but makes a huge (negative) difference on others. They put up a few examples, but the most recent Nissan they had was a '95 Maxima. Unfortunately, it was one of the ones that had a huge drop in performance. I believe metallic tints are especially bad.

I don't know about the Z, but my G's tint line is pretty dark. I'd really like to hardwire mine up there because it'd be completely undetectable from outside. Maybe this is insane of me, but I don't like the rear window stealth install others have done because I don't like the idea of the thing shooting radars through the back of my skull full time. I'd rather stay outside its cone of detection.

Any opinions?
Old 06-30-2004, 11:23 AM
roydiculous

The V1 is a passive device. It can only detect and receive radio frequencies. I think using your cell phone is more detrimental to your health. I'm in Beantown too and just ordered a V1 overnight for my roadtrip back home to NJ.

Sweet!
Old 06-30-2004, 05:28 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Got my unit in today and got it hardwired today, kinda blurry, I'll post pics when its nicer outside. Overall I am satified with the hardwire.
Attached Thumbnails Mount Valentine under tint line?-imgp1968.jpg  
Old 06-30-2004, 06:04 PM
350Mark

Just like you I wanted it hidden behind the tint. So far I haven't experienced any decrease in detection.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:42 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I have mine mounted right on top of the rear view mirror, and it was behind the silver tint.. I had to cut a small opening on the tint to get better detection. I don't think it really affected the k/ka band, but it did affected the laser band.. because there was a cop pointing the laser gun on the side of the freeway, and the radar didn't even go off!
Old 07-08-2004, 11:31 AM
caffeind

Default v1

Originally posted by Apexi350z
I have mine mounted right on top of the rear view mirror, and it was behind the silver tint.. I had to cut a small opening on the tint to get better detection. I don't think it really affected the k/ka band, but it did affected the laser band.. because there was a cop pointing the laser gun on the side of the freeway, and the radar didn't even go off!
I was going to mount my v1 on top of the mirror too but I thought it would hinder the rear "view" of the radar because of the rear roof line. How is your rear "view" of the radar do you think it is affected? Also the laser detection of any detecter USUALLY only goes off when the laser has already clocked you, since the lidar beam is so small compared to a radar beam. I am considering a laser "jammer" or difusser because of this, but I am waiting to read some unbiased reviews first.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:12 AM
sal1

Default V1

I have my V1 mounted to the right of the mirror. I haven't noticed any decrease in coverage.
Attached Thumbnails Mount Valentine under tint line?-dscn1663.jpg