Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Alpine W205 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:38 AM
TBDesigns
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine W205 Questions

Ok I bought the w205 thanks to all the people here that suggested I return the DUAL I bought and spend acouple extra bucks. It was worth it.

1.) The trim that goes around the unit doesn't fit the opening is alittle to small. Did you cut some of your dash to make it fit or what did you do?

2.) Bypassing the parking brake to watch a dvd. I got the unit for me and my son so he can watch movies while we drive home since we live in LA and traffic takes us an hour to go 10 miles. Is there a hack to bypass it or something to buy to bypass it?

3.) For some reason the airbag light located between the gas gauge and temp gauge is now flashing (forgot to attach something? Something is wrong?)

4.) Unit screen dimming down. Anyway to stop this so I can control how bright it is?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:45 PM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by TBs350z
Ok I bought the w205 thanks to all the people here that suggested I return the DUAL I bought and spend acouple extra bucks. It was worth it.

1.) The trim that goes around the unit doesn't fit the opening is alittle to small. Did you cut some of your dash to make it fit or what did you do?

2.) Bypassing the parking brake to watch a dvd. I got the unit for me and my son so he can watch movies while we drive home since we live in LA and traffic takes us an hour to go 10 miles. Is there a hack to bypass it or something to buy to bypass it?

3.) For some reason the airbag light located between the gas gauge and temp gauge is now flashing (forgot to attach something? Something is wrong?)

4.) Unit screen dimming down. Anyway to stop this so I can control how bright it is?

Thanks for all the help!
1) not sure, maybe someone who owns this unit can help

2) this is illeagal! however i believe there is a way to just ground the ebrake wire and it will 'read' as if the ebrake is constantly on.

3) I would not know about that, but airbags are not something you want to mess with usually.

4) there has to be dimmer settings in the menu

now that i look at it, i really wasnt much help to you.........sorry bro. if i owned this unit i might have been a bigger help.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:11 PM
TBDesigns
Banned

Thanks though atleast someone responded :P
Old 10-31-2007, 01:15 PM
LAKERSFAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) are you using a dash kit. metra makes one. not sure what year your z is but they have them for 03-05 and 06+.

2) what the guy above said. need to ground the ebrake wire.

3)have no idea

4)what the guy above said.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:25 PM
silvernole12

1. Like said above use a dash kit for the appropriate yr Z

2. It's not as simple as grounding the ebrake wire. The alpine requires an e-brake/brake pedal sequence to allow you to watch dvds. This can be bypassed by using a PAC TR-7 unit.

3. Not sure on the airbag, maybe go to the dealer to see what it means

4. The screen has an auto dimming function or you can set a constant brightness level.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:05 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by silvernole12
2. It's not as simple as grounding the ebrake wire. The alpine requires an e-brake/brake pedal sequence to allow you to watch dvds. This can be bypassed by using a PAC TR-7 unit.
Really? Dang headunit manufacturers making it too difficult to illegally watch dvd's while driving!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 05:03 AM
Lsmith9523

Ok,,to bypass the DVD,,,yes,,you can use the PAC TR-7, or you can use a simple toggle switch. You connect the (yellow/black) to the brake switch, located right above the brake pedal, you can use the 3M connectors. You connect the (Yellow/blue) to one side of the toggle switch and ground the other side of toggle. All you have to do is press you brake pedal, click the toggle, let off the brake and everything works while you drive and passenger watchs DVDs.

Oh,,with the airbag issue,,,did you remember to disconnect the neg side of your battery before taking anything apart,,,If so,,,while everything was taken apart,,,did you reconnect the neg to test the headunit before putting everything back together? If so,,that is your problem. If you tested your headunit and the AC ribbon plug was not connected or airbag plugs under seats were not connected,,it will trigger the airbag light. Do a search here on airbag reset,,,there is thread here that list a simple sequence that will reset your airbag...Good luck,,,

Last edited by Lsmith9523; 11-01-2007 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:58 AM
TBDesigns
Banned

Originally Posted by Lsmith9523
Ok,,to bypass the DVD,,,yes,,you can use the PAC TR-7, or you can use a simple toggle switch. You connect the (yellow/black) to the brake switch, located right above the brake pedal, you can use the 3M connectors. You connect the (Yellow/blue) to one side of the toggle switch and ground the other side of toggle. All you have to do is press you brake pedal, click the toggle, let off the brake and everything works while you drive and passenger watchs DVDs.

Oh,,with the airbag issue,,,did you remember to disconnect the neg side of your battery before taking anything apart,,,If so,,,while everything was taken apart,,,did you reconnect the neg to test the headunit before putting everything back together? If so,,that is your problem. If you tested your headunit and the AC ribbon plug was not connected or airbag plugs under seats were not connected,,it will trigger the airbag light. Do a search here on airbag reset,,,there is thread here that list a simple sequence that will reset your airbag...Good luck,,,
Thanks sounds like I got good feedback here!

1.) I went out and bought a trim for the Z ($15)

2.) I went to a local audio shop and the guys there did it for me with alittle box thing guess it's a relay or something. ($75)

3.) Guy I quoted is most likey right cause the neg was off and the seat was out so ill see what happends when I reset it.

4.) Got the dimming issue down
Old 11-01-2007, 09:29 AM
SpeedRcr

dont use the pac switch those things are crap just bypass it by tapping the ebrake to a switch ( 5 bucks )
Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 AM
TBDesigns
Banned

Don't know what that thing was called they put in my car but I love it. No switch or anything.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:36 AM
SpeedRcr

Originally Posted by TBs350z
Don't know what that thing was called they put in my car but I love it. No switch or anything.
its the bypass switch that does the same thing as a 5 dollar switch, but the switch wont burn out like the bypass
Old 11-01-2007, 11:44 AM
TBDesigns
Banned

Doesnt matter to me they gave me 5 year replacement on it.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:01 PM
minispider

Originally Posted by SpeedRcr
dont use the pac switch those things are crap just bypass it by tapping the ebrake to a switch ( 5 bucks )
....not true...pac's are very reliable units, may be yours is a defect.