Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Worth it to add Alpine H701 processor to W205 if going 2-way passive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Ge|atinousFury

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Worth it to add Alpine H701 processor to W205 if going 2-way passive?

I'd like some opinions on the usefulness of the H701 processor, given this setup:

Head Unit: Alpine IVA-W205
Front Speakers: Polk Audio SR6500 6.5" 2-way mounted in Bing's custom kicks
Subwoofer: Elemental Designs 11Ov.2 mounted in ZEnclosures 10" 350z hatch corner box
Amplifier: Alpine PDX 4.150 (channels 1 & 2 driving front speakers and channels 3 & 4 bridged to drive the subwoofer)
No rear fill

At least the doors will be fully dampened, not sure about hatch or floorboard area yet

Ok, so here are (from what I've seen) the main features of the H701 processor, and how they are applicable to this setup. Let me know if I'm right on this, and also some input on whether or not you think the processor is worth it to install.

1. Fully active crossover
- I'll be using the passive crossover that comes with the Polk SR6500's, so this feature won't be used right?

2. Digital time correction
- I don't think the Alpine W205 has this feature built in so this would be nice to be able to do

3. 31 band EQ + 10 band EQ for the subwoofer
- I think this is the biggest draw for me, however I'm not sure how problematic the acoustic environment is in the Z (aka are there any peaks and valleys that I'd really need to smooth out or is it pretty much OK)? Also, I don't know how much the subwoofer would need the EQ either...

4. Surround processing
- Soundwise all I'll have is a front stage with 1 subwoofer, so I don't believe I'll need any surround modes like Dolby PLII, DTS, etc.

5. (Maybe) SQ increase by running an optical cable to the H701 as opposed to analog RCA cables
- 1 D/A conversion (D/A to be sent to the amp) with an optical cable vs. 3 conversions (D/A in head unit, A/D during processing, and D/A again to be sent to the amp)
- I have no idea if there is any audible sonic difference between these two options in a moving vehicle

So......I the H701 goes for around $350 now. Would the added EQ control, digital time correction, and ability to use an optical cable be worth it to you for $350?

Yes, I'm a tweaker and I like to mess with stuff like this......trying to think practically though.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:53 AM
BriA5

The EQ and time allignment of the H701 would be the most useful features for your setup.

I don't like time allignment since it makes the image so driver focused. It may sound great for the driver, but it will sound terrible for the passenger.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:02 AM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its worth the extra money to be able to tune the car out esp if you go 6.1
Old 10-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Ge|atinousFury

Well, I very frequently have another passenger with me in the car but I doubt she would notice the difference between audio with and without time correction applied relative to where the driver is sitting. It may sound terrible to me sitting in the passenger seat, but she probably won't notice

And as for 6.1 or surround sound in general, there's pretty much no chance that I'll ever install any speakers besides the 2-way component system plus 1 subwoofer. So the EQ and time correction have to be beneficial for that component system + subwoofer only...
Old 10-31-2007, 10:33 AM
StreetOC192

It's kind of a personal call. The W205 has an EQ built in, although it is not as comprehensive as the 701 has. And I think you are correct that the W205 has no time alignment.

I have an Eclipse headunit and DO NOT use the time alignment that it has built in. I am using only fronts (no rear fill) and I feel there really isn't much need for the time correction in the Z. Sometimes I sit straight in my seat and sometimes I lean in to the center while driving, so I would be constantly playing with it anyway.

The 31+10 band EQ would be nice to have, but is it worth $350 to you?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Ge|atinousFury

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
The 31+10 band EQ would be nice to have, but is it worth $350 to you?
The $350 question!

If only I could hear a before/after EQ on a 350Z with nice speakers in kicks....wishful thinking lol

Of course, I love the idea of having a 31-band EQ but another $350 a pretty big chunk of change. I realize it's one of those personal calls, but I wanted to hear what others thought about it.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:04 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Ge|atinousFury
The $350 question!

If only I could hear a before/after EQ on a 350Z with nice speakers in kicks....wishful thinking lol

Of course, I love the idea of having a 31-band EQ but another $350 a pretty big chunk of change. I realize it's one of those personal calls, but I wanted to hear what others thought about it.
OK, if it was me......I would skip it and see what I could do with the W205 EQ first. Then if I couldn't get the sound just right, I would look into getting a more comprehensive EQ. My Eclipse has I think 7 bands and I think I got it sounding pretty good. Could it be better? Sure, there's always room for improvement, but it's not worth another $350 to me to improve on what I've got.