Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Where should i put my system

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 02:19 PM
Jordanz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where should i put my system

I will be getting a track model z i a week or so and i was wondering. I want the bose system look, without the crappy sound i am reading about. Can I buy the bose sub bracket and plastic cover and then mount say an alipine type r in the stock location. Then mount the amp in the glove compartment next to it. Also should i changes the speakers . I want to keep the stock head unit. Also could i put an infinity basslink where the bose system woyld go. Thanks.

PS i know nothing about car systems any advice would be very helpful.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:57 PM
wren57
Banned

To be honest, I don't know much either, but heres what I do know.
Yes you could switch the BOSE sub, but all BOSE runs off 1ohm, so Im not sure a 4ohm sub would work, thats for the other guys to answer. I HIGHLY recommend getting a headunit replacement. I just installed mine this afternoon and wasn't too hard. The sound coming out now is at least 3x better than before. I plan on upgrading the speakers too, as they are probably crap like 25watt pieces.

ps- I have the non-bose, just telling you what I know.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:12 PM
Stone Z

wren57,

I think you misunderstood what he said. I don't think he wants the bose equipment (at least I hope not), but he does want the bose subwoofer *bracket*, and *cover*. He wants to put a subwoofer (Alpine) where the stock bose sub would be, and an amp in the glove box.

Jordanz,

From what I've heard, it's hard to get a good bass sound from just putting an aftermarket sub in the factory bose location. It's best to have a box built and installed in that location.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:14 PM
wren57
Banned

Stone Z, I was addressing his other questions of whether or not he should replace the speakers, and also trying to convince him to get a new headunit, which he said he did not want to do. I couldn't answer all his questions, but I tried the ones I knew something about.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:16 PM
Stone Z

Originally posted by wren57
Stone Z, I was addressing his other questions of whether or not he should replace the speakers, and also trying to convince him to get a new headunit, which he said he did not want to do. I couldn't answer all his questions, but I tried the ones I knew something about.
I'm confused, because the Track model doesn't come with the BOSE system.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:20 PM
wren57
Banned

good point you make there
Old 06-04-2003, 03:23 PM
Stone Z

Default Re: Where should i put my system

Originally posted by Jordanz
Also could i put an infinity basslink where the bose system woyld go.
There are a few of us here kicking around that option as we speak. I would like to get the Basslink myself, but don't want to install it in the rear of the car. I would much rather put it where the factory BOSE sub goes. Just waiting to see if it will sound good in that location, and what needs to be done (DYNAMAT I assume) to get it to sound decent.

Here's my setup so far:

H/U - Alpine 7983 (made a HUGE difference....still running factory speakers)

Speakers - 4 Infinity Kappa 62.5's (ordered)

Infinity Basslink (considering, if it can be mounted in stock sub locale).

Here's a pic of my Alpine.....looks clean, huh?
Attached Thumbnails Where should i put my system-alpine-metra-2.jpg  
Old 06-04-2003, 03:36 PM
Jordanz

My main reason for not wanting to change head units is purely forlooks. But i believe i saw a kit mtrea posibly that made an head unit install look clean. Does anyone have an aproximation of what a custom box in the stock location would cost, couls i do it myself.

Questions??????
Old 06-04-2003, 03:38 PM
Stone Z

Originally posted by Jordanz
My main reason for not wanting to change head units is purely forlooks. But i believe i saw a kit mtrea posibly that made an head unit install look clean. Does anyone have an aproximation of what a custom box in the stock location would cost, couls i do it myself.

Questions??????
The pic I posted is of the metra kit.....the angle isn't the best, but it looks GREAT in person. Here's another thread where you can get a better view of the kit.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=11846
Old 06-04-2003, 03:52 PM
Jordanz

Now that i would do new head unit four infnity spekers and a sub and i would be good to go. Thanks for the help
Old 07-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Blue Liquid

when you buy a new headunit, does it come with the black pocket to go under the head unit to fill the extra space? If not, how do you get this?

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:30 PM
Mikestro

I have a Touring with Bose system. I installed a Rockford Fosgate Punch 250 to run 4 6.5" Infinity speakers in the stock location, sounds amazing.

I bought the Infinity Basslink on Saturday and put it (not mounted) in the compartment that the factory Bose subwoofer was in. I haven't found a good way to mount it yet, although more time in the garage and less time drinking beer and BBQing and I could probably figure it out.

I have to say, it sounds 3X better than the Bose speaker... however prior to buying it, I had a 10" RF sub in a box just set over the spare tire, firing upwards, and it hit harder and the low dragging bass was more dramatic than the baasslink. For those of you that have had fastbacks/hatchbacks before and put stereos in them, you probably can testify that a rear firing sub or upwards firing sub close to the rear glass sounds better than anything else. It's an acoustics thing.

Not meaning to hijack the thread but I have a question for the gurus, I have a tad bit of engine noise (alt noise) coming from my 6.5"s I am running the front speaker inputs into a high level RCA converter then into the RCA jacksof the Fosgate amp. Anyone know how to get rid of this? The amp is grounded properly already.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:27 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default soundgate

Originally posted by Mikestro
I have a Touring with Bose system. I installed a Rockford Fosgate Punch 250 to run 4 6.5" Infinity speakers in the stock location, sounds amazing.

I bought the Infinity Basslink on Saturday and put it (not mounted) in the compartment that the factory Bose subwoofer was in. I haven't found a good way to mount it yet, although more time in the garage and less time drinking beer and BBQing and I could probably figure it out.

I have to say, it sounds 3X better than the Bose speaker... however prior to buying it, I had a 10" RF sub in a box just set over the spare tire, firing upwards, and it hit harder and the low dragging bass was more dramatic than the baasslink. For those of you that have had fastbacks/hatchbacks before and put stereos in them, you probably can testify that a rear firing sub or upwards firing sub close to the rear glass sounds better than anything else. It's an acoustics thing.

Not meaning to hijack the thread but I have a question for the gurus, I have a tad bit of engine noise (alt noise) coming from my 6.5"s I am running the front speaker inputs into a high level RCA converter then into the RCA jacksof the Fosgate amp. Anyone know how to get rid of this? The amp is grounded properly already.
You _might_ get less noise if you converted the Bose low level inputs for use to your amp.

The bose outputs "LVDS" Low voltage differential signals. It is not a normal line output, but you can get a 4 channel converter from SoundGate for like $100.

I am not _sure_ this would solve it, but that is the setup that was suggested to me when I was going to keep the bose head unit.

AndyB
Old 11-07-2003, 07:24 PM
liptonme

from what i decipherred, you can probably do two things

1. Install a basslink system behind the driver seat and keep the headunit and purchase the grill for $7 i think.

2. Install a speaker that doesn't need a box. I'm not sure about type Rs. If you want to take the time you can fit a sub/box in the enclosure. You might have space to put the amp in there too. If not you can put it in the passenger compartment.

You definetely need to replace the rear speakers. If you plan to keep your headunit, make sure the RMS is not too high or you will get distortion.
hope that helps