Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

General Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 02:29 AM
SeanRod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Install Question

Hello,
Many of you seem to know quite a bit about stereo installs in the Z. I have a question. I am taking a phased approach to replacing the Bose system. Like several others, I would like to keep the stock HU, (at least for now anyway). So far I have replaced the two front speakers with Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1's. I have also installed an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 Sub in the stock location. Of course now the system is way underpowered. I am now ready to install an Alpine MRD-M500 mono sub amp. My question is, can I tap in directly to the OEM sub wiring harness, or will I need some type of Differential Converter? If I do in fact need a converter, what are the consequences if I decide not to use one? Please let me know. I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2003, 10:09 AM
toykilla

you will need a converter... if you dont use one **OR** use the wrong one, you will get an extremely weak signal to the amp and barely hear the sub. (found this out the hard way on '02 rsx with bose)

the only converter i know of is the soundgate piece..dont remember the part number but go to their website and look for high level converters and get the one made for bose systems.

it isnt cheap though
Old 06-12-2003, 02:26 AM
SeanRod

Default Thanks!

Great, thanks for the feedback.