Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

AVIC D3: output levels, other instal questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 05:41 AM
elnonio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVIC D3: output levels, other instal questions

Have a few install questions on the AVIC D3.
For general guidance I used https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....light=avic+d-3
After doing further searches, I'm either unclear, or the answers were nowhere to be found.

I'm replacing (about to) the HU on my 2007 Roadster, stock Bose 6cd HU. For now, of course, I intend to keep the Bose amp.

Here we go:

1) Ampt Turn on wire

The Metra adapter harness has an Amp Turn on wire (blue w/ white stripe)
I'm seeing conflicting wiring suggestions. Can it be left alone without any performance impact?
I'm most puzzled by this cable: since it's present on the stock harness, I can't imagine things not working well without it. The corrolary is, of course, the amplifier ground, which would get grounded as well.

--> Answered my question: the amp turn on needs to be powered. The System Remote Control cable did the trick. They both are blue w/ white stripe. Coincidence? I think not.

2) Output level from radio and SW output

All threads deal with installing, but I can't find anything on the settings set up. I understand the output for the speakers can be tweaked. Also, since the subwoofer doesn't use a separate channel, I take it that there is not much to adjust. What do you have as your settings?

--> When I bench tested, I was given more options on how to set the levels since I hooked up to the RCAs. Not available using the harness.

3) Reverse gear signal input

The install above says not to wire this, but Pioneer recommends hooking it up. What's a convenient location to wire this, without having to run a wire all the way back to the reverse lights?

4) System remote control

The Pioneer harness has a System Remote Control. Since I also have the Pioneer remote, I don't intend to install the PAC unit, but I'm curious as to what can be hooked up to this wire.

--> While I used it for the Amplifier ground, I'm still not sure this is the purpose of the cable.

5) Dimmer and amplifier ground
Already mentioned the Amp ground. Same question for the dimmer ground, why not ground both these to the main ground?

Thanks,

Last edited by elnonio; 01-12-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:53 AM
elnonio

I'm not thrilled by the sound quality at this time. I'm thinking about bypassing the Bose amp and using the on board amp to drive the speakers and subwoofer directly.
The reasons? While the sound is OK (well, OK-ish), my two gripes are:
- an annoying hiss anytime I press the touch screen.
- the Bose mic is triggering the noise cancellation (or whatever they call it.) Prior to removing the Bose HU I made sure turn it off, but I guess that wasn't enough to permanently turn it off.

Any suggestions on how to improve the sound quality (without getting a new set of amps at this time)?
Old 01-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Ichigo

It sounds as if you are using a non-bose wiring harness
What part number is the harness you are using?

mmm maybe more like a wire is off..

Last edited by Ichigo; 01-13-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:21 AM
elnonio

I'm using a Metra 70-7550 harness. All the connections are well soldered (my old man would disagree, but he's a perfectionist) and I used shrink tube to insulate all welds.

I feel that the connections are good: I took my time and checked the diagrams multiple times. Any other suggestions?
Old 01-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Ichigo

You should be using a 70-7551. Thats the one for amplified Nissan systems. I think thats the right one for a bose system, I will chk but I think thats why your getting that bad buzz. A 70-7550 is for Non amplified nissan systems

EDIT checked and yes if you have a bose system the 70-7551 will give you ends that will plug rca connections right into the D3. It sounds like you are not giving the bose amps a low level signal by using the wrong harness

Last edited by Ichigo; 01-13-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:16 PM
elnonio

Yes, that adds up. Even the faint hiss at a normal level would be exagerated by the Bose, which would expect a lower level input.

Easy fix, since all I have to do is remove the leads to the speakers, replace with RCAs, and hook that to the RCA outputs. I'll do that when I get my fascia kit, hopefully this week.

Any suggestions w/ regards to the noise cancellation issue?
Old 01-13-2008, 03:29 PM
elnonio

Just got a PM from orbitalpunk. His installation guide was for a standard sound system (I thought he had a Bose.)

Bump for the noise cancellation issue (AudioPilot): how can I turn that off now that I have an AVIC D3 installed. Anyone?

Last edited by elnonio; 01-13-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Ichigo

Originally Posted by elnonio
Yes, that adds up. Even the faint hiss at a normal level would be exagerated by the Bose, which would expect a lower level input.

Easy fix, since all I have to do is remove the leads to the speakers, replace with RCAs, and hook that to the RCA outputs. I'll do that when I get my fascia kit, hopefully this week.
You do mean getting the 70-7551 harness right? The output from the D3 speaker leads is already amplified by the D3, running that signal to the bose amps for a second amplification is the problem. Just want to make sure you dont grapht rca connections to those speaker leads..
Old 01-14-2008, 07:44 AM
IronYuppie

would it make more sense to get the pac oem harness instead of the 7551?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:57 AM
elnonio

The RCA output is not amplified (I just checked the installation guide), so I will connect the RCA output to the corresponding inputs on the 7550.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the 7550 and the 7551 is the RCAs. There are no electronics or anything, just connectors, so I feel I can simply modify my 7550 harness to plug into the RCA outputs.

I have no knowledge or ideas regarding the PAC harness mentioned.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:37 PM
elnonio

Got the changes made. I can confirm that if you happen to get the Metra 70-7550 by mistake, when you should have gotten the 70-7551 (because you have a Bose system), then all you have to do is weld RCA jacks, male, to the speaker leads on the harness, and hook those up to the RCAs on the pioneer harness. Presto, very good sound.

There's alway a catch: when I start the engine, I can hear a faint whine through the speakers... Only when the engine is running, faint when no music is playing or music plays softly, can't hear it when you crank up the volume. It does not get louder as you turn up the volume, increase engine RPMS, turn lights on or off, change audio sources, or anything else. The whine comes on/off with the engine, but is constant.

I thought it may be a shielding or grounding issue, or something I messed up when getting the HU out then back in, since this noise was not around before.

Anyone?
Old 01-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Ichigo

I had to do this to my Avic Z1:

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...8&postcount=97

Since the noise is not synch'd with the alternator or the rpms, this is another option. Since your probably going to have to pull the D3 I would use a better ground than the one on the harness

Last edited by Ichigo; 01-17-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:15 PM
elnonio

AVIC D3 RCAs come out of a harness, unlike your picture where the RCAs are integrated to the HU. With that difference aside, I grounded the 4 RCAs to the chassis.

That did not solve the problem/whine.

Again, I only grounded the 4 RCAs in use (front and rear outputs), not the sub, cameras, inputs, etc. I figured I wouldn't have to, and I hope to be right because I am getting sick and tired of pulling the dash out!