Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Tweeter Location

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:46 PM
BabyZiLLa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tweeter Location

So I'm going to be installing my stereo pretty quick her. Im using OZ Audio CS-180 Components.

My Mids will be mounted in the stock location with Nazar door pods. What i don't know is where i should mount the tweets? I don't really like flashy but is the stock tweeter location a bad idea?

Some feedback from the guys that have tried different locations would be great.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Bing shows the best way to mount tweeters in the Z in this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/333323-the-best-sounding-350z-i-have-ever-done-pics.html

--Spike
Old 02-21-2008, 03:50 PM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine in the kick panel
Old 02-21-2008, 03:58 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bing shows the best way to mount tweeters in the Z in this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333323

--Spike
Try this. I think it looks much better.
Attached Thumbnails Tweeter Location-focaltweeter.jpg  
Old 02-21-2008, 04:18 PM
QdotJ

Originally Posted by blasian
I have mine in the kick panel
+1

Old 02-21-2008, 07:11 PM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Kick panel is easier than the A-pillars... just be sure to angle them up toward the center of the cabin.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:34 PM
BabyZiLLa

Kick panel doesnt sound like crap? I really thought it would being at your feet..
Old 02-21-2008, 07:37 PM
blasian

Originally Posted by BabyZiLLa
Kick panel doesnt sound like crap? I really thought it would being at your feet..
Its a lot better than having it blaring in your ear. Doesn't sound like crap to me
Old 02-21-2008, 07:48 PM
BabyZiLLa

Its a lot better than having it blaring in your ear. Doesn't sound like crap to me
True. I just like the imaging to sound as if there singing at the center of the dash.. It doesn't sound like someone is lying on your floor? So to speak..
Old 02-21-2008, 08:00 PM
blasian

True. I just like the imaging to sound as if there singing at the center of the dash.. It doesn't sound like someone is lying on your floor? So to speak..
I don't think so but I guess you'd have to hear it. Most of the voice comes from the woofer and not the tweeter either way.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Spike100

I get the humor… And in fact you are correct. My first test position for tweeters was from kicks. I did a delay/timing, and got it sounding just terrific. Unfortunately I did this without a driver or a passenger. As soon as I sat in the driver’s seat and added a passenger, the very directional sound from the tweeter position in the kicks was blocked, and the sound was muffled at best. So I had a sound system that sounded great as long as no one was in the car.

I also tried the sail panels, and this was too direct, blasting directly into the driver’s and passenger’s ears. Not to mention it was nearly impossible to stage.

Putting the tweeters into the A-Pillar and bouncing off the windshield allowed nearly perfect staging, making the sound come from the front. It’s only that this setup is a little tricky to stage perfectly. But, it does work since the tweeter’s sound is very direct making a “bounce shot” a reasonable solution.

Bing’s tweeter solution (Tweeter-Pods at the base of the A-Pillar) is probably best, but it’s a total custom job.

--Spike
Old 02-21-2008, 08:18 PM
blasian

My Eclipse has sort of an image helper with the position of seating. When I select just my seat, it makes it seem like its directly in front of me. When there is a passenger, I set it for two and it seems to makes the right side a bit louder to account for the blockage of the passenger.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Spike100

My Eclipse has sort of an image helper with the position of seating. When I select just my seat, it makes it seem like its directly in front of me. When there is a passenger, I set it for two and it seems to makes the right side a bit louder to account for the blockage of the passenger.
That’s a nice feature. I guess though I would prefer not having to do adjustments depending upon whether or not I had a passenger on board. If the staging is correct (and that does take some design considerations), tweeter and other sound adjustments are not necessary to accommodate varying listening positions.

--Spike
Old 02-21-2008, 08:36 PM
blasian

Originally Posted by Spike100
That’s a nice feature. I guess though I would prefer not having to do adjustments depending upon whether or not I had a passenger on board. If the staging is correct (and that does take some design considerations), tweeter and other sound adjustments are not necessary to accommodate varying listening positions.

--Spike
Well... I just think it kinda sucks with how the stock locations are IMO. With my seat being all the way back 99% of the time... EVERYONE'S leg covers everything

I don't mind though, having a touchscreen makes it like a 2 touch process

I mainly bought the Eclipse for SQ and the HD though.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Get_Zwole

i have iridiums 6.2 dls in my kicks and the imaging is actually pretty good. About eye level and center. I have a 33 band audio control eq though that helps. Bings kicks still offer good staging even when they are off axis or whatever its called im very happy with my setup. When i redo everything in a year or so i might mount a set of tweets in the apiller and mids in the kicks then woofer in the doors. I just have a 2 way now though i love it.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:37 PM
350x04

I can imagine it not sounding that great from the kick panel!!!
Old 02-22-2008, 12:09 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by 350x04
I've heard them in the stock location before and its worse IMO. Choose your own poison if you feel that way I suppose.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:06 AM
BabyZiLLa

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
i have iridiums 6.2 dls in my kicks and the imaging is actually pretty good. About eye level and center. I have a 33 band audio control eq though that helps. Bings kicks still offer good staging even when they are off axis or whatever its called im very happy with my setup. When i redo everything in a year or so i might mount a set of tweets in the apiller and mids in the kicks then woofer in the doors. I just have a 2 way now though i love it.
Do you have any pictures of your setup mate? Or be willing to take some?

I'm running 2-way as well but I'll also have a Audiocontrol DQXS to help me out a bit..
Old 02-22-2008, 06:41 AM
clarkemtp

Originally Posted by 350x04
You need to hear it first before you form an opinion. It'll surprise you.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:37 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

here is my take on tweeter location in the Z:

for me there are only two options that sound good, again, this is my opinion.

option 1:

A-pillar/corner of dash/window

advantage: done properly, it provides the highest stage without rainbowing (stage getting lower at either end of the dash), if you are truly looking for the utmost SQ in the Z, this is prolly the way, but again, only for those who are truly committed IMO and is willing to deal with the disadvantages below

disadvantage:

MUST be molded so the tweeter is either firing at the listener or firing straight across at each other. simply sinking a tweet into the A pillar and firing at the windshield does not yield very good results. so a lot more work.

requires time alignment to get a center image. meaning that you have to have a TA processor and be willing to make your car a one seater, as with it time alignment for the driver to have a center image, it will sound very bizarre to the passenger.

would work better with a fully active set up and proper tuning. in my experinece, if you are going wtih A pillar tweets, it would be nice to have full control over each and every one of your spekares...meaning a full processor and ifpossible, fully active system. this of course, again ups your cost and effort.

option 2: Kick panels (in conjunction with kick mounted midbass)

advantage:

good center image with no time alignment, amking for a good two seater listneing car

very little work needed compared to A pillars and much less stealthy than A pillars

decently high stage (a few inches above dash level)

disadvantages:

1. the stage isnt as high as with A pillars tweets, whcih sometimes reaches to just belowt he rear viewmirror. also, more likelihood of rainbowing

2. some comps work bettter than others in this location, as it usually is best to make it off axis.

so thats it...basically, what i am saying is, unless you are truly serious about SQ and willing to spend the money and effort to do it right, i will also recommend kick panel mounted tweets in the Z, sounds really good right out of hte box, almost dead center image and decently high stage.

if you got the budget/time, TA processors, maybe fully active set ups and eq and all that, and dont mind making your car sound good only from one seat. go for the A pillar/dash corner thingy