Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Auxiliary input for mp3 for 2008 GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:07 PM
chriskd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxiliary input for mp3 for 2008 GT

Ok, my eyes are bleeding from looking through numerous posts, and I still don't have a clear answer for this question, so I'm hoping the good people on here can help a newbie out.

My question: What can I use to connect an mp3 player to my 2008 Z? I have a Grand Touring so it came with all the options: factory BOSE with 6CD, XM Radio, Bluetooth, as well as the factory Navi.

I've seen posts indicating what works with '07 and/or below, or with non-bose, or non-navi's, etc... some devices won't work with navi or bluetooth...?? I even saw a thread that eluded that the XM might already have inputs I can use for an mp3 player...??

I've also emailed a couple of ebay sellers and companies who sell the PAC, PXNI, USASpec, and I'm pretty much being told the 2008 model has not been tested, or it's not supported.

I know SOMEONE on this board has to have an '08 Grand Touring that connected their iPod or mp3 player to the stock BOSE HU. Right!?

Please help out a newbie?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:50 PM
chriskd

Update: I successfully installed a PAC AAI-NIS2 Nissan/Infiniti Aux Audio Adapter. So I've confirmed it will work with an '08 Grand Touring with XM and Navigation.

Although I was never able to get the Navi button panel completely off as I've seen in various DIY guides, perhaps the '08's are different. Regardless, I was still able to get to the screws behind the Navi button panel by prying the front of it just enough.

Feel free to ask any questions if you're planning to do this install.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Bary626

Originally Posted by chriskd
Update: I successfully installed a PAC AAI-NIS2 Nissan/Infiniti Aux Audio Adapter. So I've confirmed it will work with an '08 Grand Touring with XM and Navigation.

Although I was never able to get the Navi button panel completely off as I've seen in various DIY guides, perhaps the '08's are different. Regardless, I was still able to get to the screws behind the Navi button panel by prying the front of it just enough.

Feel free to ask any questions if you're planning to do this install.
Did u have to lose out on XM to connect the adapter?
I want to install PAC AAI-NIS2 but I don't want to lose out on my Sirius.
Not sure what to do to connect my Ipod thru Bose Radio. Guess new radio?
Old 03-09-2008, 08:48 AM
chriskd

Originally Posted by Bary626
Did u have to lose out on XM to connect the adapter?
I want to install PAC AAI-NIS2 but I don't want to lose out on my Sirius.
Not sure what to do to connect my Ipod thru Bose Radio. Guess new radio?
You shouldn't need a new radio at all, the PAC worked fine with my BOSE HU with XM (and I assume it will work with Sirius). There is a 'SAT/NO SAT' switch on the side of the PAC, which allows for both configurations. The only consideration is that with XM/Sirius, two of your standard presets will become the AUX 1 and AUX 2 for the PAC. So if you have a total of 18 satellite presets (6 presets buttons on the HU times each XM channel: XM1, XM2, XM3), you'll end up with 16 satellite presets, because two of those presets will now be assigned to point to the PAC's Auxiliary 1 and 2 feeds.

The other consideration is that if you decide to install the PAC with the 'SAT' switch ON, but then later cancel your satellite service, your PAC will no longer work until you switch the PAC to 'NO SAT'. Vice versa, if you have satellite service, the PAC will only with in the 'SAT' switch setting.

Confused yet?

For me, my free 3 month XM trial will expire in April 1, and I don't plan to renew. So I installed the PAC, but left the 12 pin XM cable disconnected from the harness. Then I set the PAC's switch to 'NO SAT' and all is working fine.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Bary626

You shouldn't need a new radio at all, the PAC worked fine with my BOSE HU with XM (and I assume it will work with Sirius). There is a 'SAT/NO SAT' switch on the side of the PAC, which allows for both configurations. The only consideration is that with XM/Sirius, two of your standard presets will become the AUX 1 and AUX 2 for the PAC. So if you have a total of 18 satellite presets (6 presets buttons on the HU times each XM channel: XM1, XM2, XM3), you'll end up with 16 satellite presets, because two of those presets will now be assigned to point to the PAC's Auxiliary 1 and 2 feeds.

The other consideration is that if you decide to install the PAC with the 'SAT' switch ON, but then later cancel your satellite service, your PAC will no longer work until you switch the PAC to 'NO SAT'. Vice versa, if you have satellite service, the PAC will only with in the 'SAT' switch setting.

Confused yet?
Yep I'm confused now
Everywhere I read that u have to disconnect the harness for Sirius from Bose HU.
Because that's where u have to plug in the "PAC" is this not true?
If your correct this is great news & I will check with my local stereo shop.

Thanks for all the info. much apppreciated!

Following adapter from Nissan is different then one u recommend, correct?
PA11-NIS

Last edited by Bary626; 03-09-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:03 PM
chriskd

Let's see if I can unconfuse you just a bit.

Per the PAC's instructions:
Remove the factory female 12 pin Satellite cable. Plug the PAC’s 12 pin SAT plug into the radio. Then plug the factory Satellite cable that was just removed into the PAC’s 12 pin connector ONLY if the SAT tuner is serviced

The complete instructions are here: http://www.pac-audio.com/instructions/AAI-NIS2.pdf

I don't know if the PA11-NIS is the same as the AAI-NIS2, though...

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Bary626

Let's see if I can unconfuse you just a bit.

Per the PAC's instructions:
Remove the factory female 12 pin Satellite cable. Plug the PAC’s 12 pin SAT plug into the radio. Then plug the factory Satellite cable that was just removed into the PAC’s 12 pin connector ONLY if the SAT tuner is serviced

The complete instructions are here: http://www.pac-audio.com/instructions/AAI-NIS2.pdf

I don't know if the PA11-NIS is the same as the AAI-NIS2, though...

Good luck!
Chris

Thanks so much totally get it & really appreciate your help!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Bary626

For me, my free 3 month XM trial will expire in April 1, and I don't plan to renew. So I installed the PAC, but left the 12 pin XM cable disconnected from the harness. Then I set the PAC's switch to 'NO SAT' and all is working fine.
Looks like reason why it's working.
Had u connected the XM most likely would not be working?
I ordered this adapter u got & had my stereo shop install it today.
They tryed everything & no go. They even called PAC & had them walk them thru it.
Oh well, I have to return to seller on Ebay. In fact seller says it's not compatible with 07.
Not sure how to ever get my ipod to work with this car "Radio" & still have my Sirius radio??

Last edited by Bary626; 03-24-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:32 PM
chriskd

Looks like reason why it's working.
Had u connected the XM most likely would not be working?
I ordered this adapter u got & had my stereo shop install it today.
They tryed everything & no go. They even called PAC & had them walk them thru it.
Oh well, I have to return to seller on Ebay. In fact seller says it's not compatible with 07.
Not sure how to ever get my ipod to work with this car "Radio" & still have my Sirius radio??
Dude that sucks - but you bring up a good point: I can't recall if I ever fully tried it with the XM.

Still, did you notice if you could pick up a strong Sirius signal while your car was inside the stereo shops garage?

One thing to note is that you MUST have a good Sirius signal BEFORE you try and play the Ipod/mp3 through the PAC. I read somewhere that it didn't work properly for someone until he drove his Z out of his garage, because the satellite signal didn't work inside his garage - the signal was too weak. However, once he was outside, the head unit would receive a strong satellite signal, the Sirius/XM would work and that would trigger the PAC box to "work".
Old 03-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Bary626

Dude that sucks - but you bring up a good point: I can't recall if I ever fully tried it with the XM.

Still, did you notice if you could pick up a strong Sirius signal while your car was inside the stereo shops garage?

One thing to note is that you MUST have a good Sirius signal BEFORE you try and play the Ipod/mp3 through the PAC. I read somewhere that it didn't work properly for someone until he drove his Z out of his garage, because the satellite signal didn't work inside his garage - the signal was too weak. However, once he was outside, the head unit would receive a strong satellite signal, the Sirius/XM would work and that would trigger the PAC box to "work".
Chris

Unreal! this could very well be the answer?
No I was not in garage but I'm postive signal was not good?
It's not good when I'm in my garage till I start to back out alittle.
Damn, I sent the adapter back to the seller, looks like I will ask for it back & try again?
Maybe if u have time? u can connect your XM & see if your adapter still works?

Thanks for all your help truly been very helpful & I apprecite a lot!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:06 AM
chriskd

Chris

Unreal! this could very well be the answer?
No I was not in garage but I'm postive signal was not good?
It's not good when I'm in my garage till I start to back out alittle.
Damn, I sent the adapter back to the seller, looks like I will ask for it back & try again?
Maybe if u have time? u can connect your XM & see if your adapter still works?

Thanks for all your help truly been very helpful & I apprecite a lot!
Unfortunately, I cancelled my XM satellite subscription, so I won't be able to test it out for you. But yea, you need three things for the PAC to work with Sirius:

1 - The Sirius 12-pin connector must be connected to the PAC.
2 - The 'SAT/NO SAT' switch on the PAC box needs to be set to 'SAT'
3 - Turn on the radio and press the RADIO button on your head unit until you get to Sirius radio, and ensure you're getting a strong Sirius signal.

As I understand it, once you have a good Sirius signal, 2 of your presets will then be assigned to the PAC's aux 1 and aux 2. Depending on which aux your Ipod is connected to, switch to that preset to hear it.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!
Old 07-26-2008, 12:18 AM
350z2k3

Bringing up an old thread...where/how did you run the RCA to 3.5mm stereo wire to your Zune/IPOD?
Old 07-26-2008, 11:27 PM
chriskd

Originally Posted by 350z2k3
Bringing up an old thread...where/how did you run the RCA to 3.5mm stereo wire to your Zune/IPOD?
If you have the satellite-ready stock BOSE unit, it depends on the kind of mp3 player you have, and the features you want to use. I can recommend two auxiliary adapters:

1 - PAC AAI-NIS2 adapter for any mp3 player with a 3.5mm jack .
2 - AXXESS iPod adapter for any mp3 player with a 3.5mm jack or standard iPod jack.

I installed and used the PAC for a few months and it worked great, but then I bought an iPod. Although the iPod still worked with the PAC, I wanted to upgrade to an adapter with iPod TEXT capability, so I bought the more expensive AXXESS which displays songs/playlists/etc on my stock BOSE.

Both adapters provide two auxiliary inputs and both are small enough to fit behind the A/C control panel. I run my cables under the center console and up through the cupholder area, where my iPod sits.

Since I've installed and have experience with both, let me know if you have any questions about them.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:47 PM
350z2k3

Does AXXESS work with Zune?

Where did you run the wire...to the nav/storagecubby...or to the storage compartment in the center console?
Old 07-27-2008, 02:48 PM
350z2k3

Nevermind I can't read. lol

<-- me
Old 07-27-2008, 05:35 PM
350z2k3

Where did you buy your AXXESS adapter?
Old 07-27-2008, 10:24 PM
350z2k3

Another question...when you removed your center dash console, are there screws to remove in the nav cubby area? Mine doesn't have nav just the storage area.

In my 03 there were screws to remove the door fastener and screws to remove underneath it.

I'm not seeing these on the 08. Help?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:55 PM
chriskd

I got my Axxess from here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-2008-NISSAN...QQcmdZViewItem

But I don't think the AXXESS can read song text from a Zune, only an iPod. So you might save some cash by getting a PAC:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PAC-AAI-NIS2-Ada...QQcmdZViewItem

Both of these units worked fine in my 08 with Satellite-ready BOSE, though I did have to disconnect the stock XM receiver to get the AXXESS to work. The PAC will still work with stock XM. If interested, I still have my PAC unit that I can sell you for cheap.

As for installation, count yourself lucky you DON'T have the stock navi - I do and it was a B**CH to get the center console off with the navi. But you need to get to the back of the head unit so it's necessary.

The instructions I referenced are here:
http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/dash_removal/

I'm also attaching some pics of my iPod and Shuffle in action. The first two pics show how the iPod display will auto-toggle between the Artist and Track. Not sure what would happen with a Zune. My guess is that your Zune would connect using the 3.5 mm jack, which I'm currently using for the Shuffle you see in these pics.

Hope this all helps!
Attached Thumbnails Auxiliary input for mp3 for 2008 GT-smcimg3509.jpg   Auxiliary input for mp3 for 2008 GT-smcimg3511.jpg   Auxiliary input for mp3 for 2008 GT-smcimg3508.jpg   Auxiliary input for mp3 for 2008 GT-smcimg3515.jpg  

Last edited by chriskd; 07-28-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:40 PM
350z2k3

I've removed the dash in my 03 many times. This is what I referenced as well. The 08 doesn't have the cubby door piece, where the nav door closes, that snaps out revealing screws to remove.

Did you have screws in this area to remove on yours?

I have a PAC on the way someone from here sold me for cheap. It's brand new, they never used it.

Thanks for the post.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:23 AM
chriskd

Originally Posted by 350z2k3
I've removed the dash in my 03 many times. This is what I referenced as well. The 08 doesn't have the cubby door piece, where the nav door closes, that snaps out revealing screws to remove.

Did you have screws in this area to remove on yours?

I have a PAC on the way someone from here sold me for cheap. It's brand new, they never used it.

Thanks for the post.

If you're referring to the 2 screws pointed out in step 9 - those were the ones that gave me trouble. In my pics, the piece I would need to remove has all the navi buttons... I couldn't get that piece off. It's possible that I just didn't pull on it hard enough, but I wasn't willing to break it in the process. So I ended up prying it up from the bottom with a small flathead screwdriver just enough to fit a magnetized phillips screwdriver behind the panel and unscrew those screws and slowly pull them out.

Quick Reply: Auxiliary input for mp3 for 2008 GT