Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Rear Tweeter Placement

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear Tweeter Placement

The interior of the Z is still stripped out completely as I'm awaiting my final order of eDead V1 to arrive so I can finish applying it. I picked up two sets of MB Quart component sets, 1 for the front and 1 for the rear. The front install went very smooth. Used some Zenclosure 1" spacers for the woofers and drilled out the stock tweeters to install the component's. The doors were completely lined with eDead V1, and the door installation is done. Here's a pic of the door now.

Now it's time for me to do the rears. Most people have told me to just go with a pair of coaxials and call it a day. I decided to install another component set... For the rear woofers, I've begun to seal the area with eDead V1. I ran out, so it's not complete yet. So the woofers will be fine. When it comes to the rear tweeters, I've had some ideas, but wanted some feedback and opinions on the placement and whether the locations I've chosen will work good. They will be aimed at the opposite side's passenger. The red stars mark my placement idea.

Feedback please.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:00 PM
clarkemtp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're not going to want to hear this, but I won't be the only one with the sentiment. Just say no.

Tweeters way back there are REALLY going to pull your front stage down and back. Way down. Way back. Kind of defeats the purpose of "front" stage. Seriously, I wouldn't do it.

I'm one of the few people in this section that believe in ANY rear fill, so the rest of the comments will probably be a lot more adamant than mine. That said, I only run a hint of rear fill with both the highs and the lows rolled waaaaay off. You run tweets that you can hear back there, and they'll decimate your staging.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Spork

I kinda thought of that and the possibility of the rears overpowering.

I planned on running them pretty low, just enough to get some clear sound in the rear, but not enough to steal from the front stage. Would this work?

I'm open for all suggestions and opinions, don't be afraid to speak your mind
Old 03-12-2008, 02:08 PM
StreetOC192

IMHO, if you really want the rear fill I would ditch the tweets and just use the woofers. Fade them down to where you can just barely hear them.

If you really still want to use the tweets, Maybe install them right next to the woofers and not only fade the rears down to where you can barely hear them, but also attenuate the tweets lower if that option is available on the MBQ crossover network.

Especially with the brightness of MBQ tweets!!! It'll be too much where you have the stars, the timing will be off and it might kill the stage of the front.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Spork

So would it be better to place them around the outside top corner of each woofer and turn them down a lot?
Old 03-12-2008, 03:09 PM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
So would it be better to place them around the outside top corner of each woofer and turn them down a lot?
This would be a much better idea that back on the strut towers IMHO.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:10 PM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol I warned you about this Ben.... I feel sorry for your ears
Old 03-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Spork

^^^ I was waiting for you greg, hahaha
I know... I've contemplated driving the rear tweeters with the headunit so I can turn it down much more.

Alright, Ill prob do that. Should I still aim it in the opposite passenger's direction?
Old 03-12-2008, 03:40 PM
overZealous1

only run rear tweets if you have a back seat, and then face them towards the back. listen to everyone, no need to put them there and they will do more damage than good.
test it before you drill/install and listen for yourself.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:51 PM
sintaxeror

Friends don't let friends rear fill.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:55 PM
blasian

^^^ I was waiting for you greg, hahaha
I know... I've contemplated driving the rear tweeters with the headunit so I can turn it down much more.

Alright, Ill prob do that. Should I still aim it in the opposite passenger's direction?
I would do what street said and just use the woofer. It may sound like a waste but as someone else said... you could possibly do more harm than good.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Spork

Might it be a good idea to just surprise my dad one day with a free component set for his truck and purchase some nice coaxials?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:07 PM
blasian

Might it be a good idea to just surprise my dad one day with a free component set for his truck and purchase some nice coaxials?
That and just buy some badass components for the front
Old 03-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Spork

Originally Posted by blasian
That and just buy some badass components for the front
By bad *** you mean *****-to-the-wall high-price kick-*** components?

So if by chance it did sound right, this is about the area that the tweeter would have to go?

Also, got one more question... Would it look good or right even, if I trimmed the supplied speaker grills and put them in the place of the stock ones? It just started snowing, so I've got time to kill today :-\
Old 03-12-2008, 04:26 PM
KelekonaKustoms

Originally Posted by sintaxeror
Friends don't let friends rear fill.
+1
Old 03-12-2008, 04:33 PM
overZealous1

highs are very directional. in an effort to create your front stage like you are at a live concert, having tweeters in the rear would be like having a J.O. behind you with a tamboreen with the music in front of you, hahha. rear fill is supposed to emulate the music from infront of you reflecting of surfaces behind you. highs will not bounce back. a 6.5" or a 4" (my favorite for rear fill) and depending on the front stage will run them in either mono or stereo and turn them down alot compared to the front. hook them up, sit in your seat, have access to your amp gain control for the rear fill, close your eyes and adjust till the image is infront of you, not behind. personally i like it all in front of you, but some like it like headphones and mixes right at your head.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Spork

So would it be stupid to maybe put the other set of tweeters in my front kick panels or something? Haha

Sorry if I seem persistent, I'm just hoping there will be a good way for me to use them.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:46 PM
overZealous1

So would it be stupid to maybe put the other set of tweeters in my front kick panels or something? Haha

Sorry if I seem persistent, I'm just hoping there will be a good way for me to use them.
possibly. or sell them. better yet, put them in a dark drawer and forget that you even own them, lol.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:22 PM
StreetOC192

You could strategically install them up front to help improve your staging, but with the brightness of the MBQ tweets and the fact that your other set is in the sails already, you might be really over doing it in the highs with only 1 mid up front.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Spork

Might be good to just use the woofers for the rear then?

Quick Reply: Rear Tweeter Placement