Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Help me pick. AVN 5500 or AVIC D3

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:48 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

:sigh: ok then if for no other reason...i would def take a new unit over a used one anyday...you have no idea what that used unit has been through--i never would recmd ANY refurbished unit (if thats what it is--but if from any online store than most likely yes) And... ok... if an SQ is the ONLY important thing to you when choosing a VIDEO UNIT--(with emphasis on VIDEO)--then by all means choose the eclipse. But Unforgiven and I can def agree on one thing, for flexability and playability, your making the right choice w/ D3. And ok ill change my wording alittle cause it was childish of me to use "retarded" so ill say "It might not be such a wise decision to take a used unit over a new one for the same price" --unless the new one is like a Jensen or Dual of course. Good luck bro
Old 03-17-2008, 05:55 AM
EscrimahZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

D3 rocks, I love it.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:29 AM
sbZenth

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
:sigh: ok then if for no other reason...i would def take a new unit over a used one anyday...you have no idea what that used unit has been through--i never would recmd ANY refurbished unit (if thats what it is--but if from any online store than most likely yes) And... ok... if an SQ is the ONLY important thing to you when choosing a VIDEO UNIT--(with emphasis on VIDEO)--then by all means choose the eclipse. But Unforgiven and I can def agree on one thing, for flexability and playability, your making the right choice w/ D3. And ok ill change my wording alittle cause it was childish of me to use "retarded" so ill say "It might not be such a wise decision to take a used unit over a new one for the same price" --unless the new one is like a Jensen or Dual of course. Good luck bro
thanks man. yeah i think i am going with a d3.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:42 AM
Someguy350

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

its easy to say you like something when you have had a chance to get used to it. but if you have never owned different units, then what are you really comparing it to??

personally ive had 4 different types of duble din NAV/DVD head units.

the Eclipse is bottom of the list. im sorry, whoever keeps preaching it, its just not a good unit. the new 7700(or whatever it is) is a nice unit. it has all the features you could want in a unit. but it is too little too late. the newest eclipse, is comparable to the pioneer avic-z1. which has been around for years now. but the eclipse is WAY over the price range of the Z1.

eclipse has no HDD nav. no hands free, no working ipod connect for it, it is the most UNuser friendly unit out there.

Kenwood is a very good unit. Garmin navigation, which is about the best nav you can get. its HDD, so you can still watch movies when you are using nav functions. very user friendly. very nice ipod control. i just really like this unit.

the pioneer is just as good as the kenwood. but comes with many more options. options you will probably never use. but it is the cheapest unit out. so clearly the best bang for your buck. no way you could go wrong getting this thing. the one thing i really like, that none of the other models have. is it supports ipod video. you get yourself a 160gb ipod. and you can store hours and hours of movies, music vids, etc. and play them right on your headunit.

who cares if the eclipse has slightly higher voltage preouts?? you arent building a competition stereo system. so im sure you dont care if a dog might notice a slight difference in your SQ. and now that im thinking about it, something to do with the way eclipse wires their preouts. they arent really a true 5v preout. i think they use 2-3 volt preouts or something. whereas the kenwood is a true 5v preout.

just go with the D3. you wont regret it.

Last edited by Someguy350; 03-18-2008 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:10 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Thank You

Originally Posted by Someguy350
its easy to say you like something when you have had a chance to get used to it. but if you have never owned different units, then what are you really comparing it to??

personally ive had 4 different types of duble din NAV/DVD head units.

the Eclipse is bottom of the list. im sorry, whoever keeps preaching it, its just not a good unit. the new 7700(or whatever it is) is a nice unit. it has all the features you could want in a unit. but it is too little too late. the newest eclipse, is comparable to the pioneer avic-z1. which has been around for years now. but the eclipse is WAY over the price range of the Z1.

eclipse has no HDD nav. no hands free, no working ipod connect for it, it is the most UNuser friendly unit out there.

Kenwood is a very good unit. Garmin navigation, which is about the best nav you can get. its HDD, so you can still watch movies when you are using nav functions. very user friendly. very nice ipod control. i just really like this unit.

the pioneer is just as good as the kenwood. but comes with many more options. options you will probably never use. but it is the cheapest unit out. so clearly the best bang for your buck. no way you could go wrong getting this thing. the one thing i really like, that none of the other models have. is it supports ipod video. you get yourself a 160gb ipod. and you can store hours and hours of movies, music vids, etc. and play them right on your headunit.

who cares if the eclipse has slightly higher voltage preouts?? you arent building a competition stereo system. so im sure you dont care if a dog might notice a slight difference in your SQ. and now that im thinking about it, something to do with the way eclipse wires their preouts. they arent really a true 5v preout. i think they use 2-3 volt preouts or something. whereas the kenwood is a true 5v preout.

just go with the D3. you wont regret it.
Good god thank you man--this is exactly what I have been trying to preach. I totally agree with you bout how Eclipse sux and is overpriced.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:34 AM
sbZenth

thank you for the extensive review you convinced me