Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Thinkin of component set

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:18 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
Get some Diamond Audio D661S components to replace them..
Thx. I'll look into them
Old 03-16-2008, 02:19 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ghost
How much did you pay for them?

i really don't like to get into the price game of how much i pay for my audio equipment

I doubt you can get much better than the $1200 focals for clarity. It just doesn't seem possible.
doubt is a funny little man in a red dress..don't dance with him
Old 03-16-2008, 02:24 PM
ghost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really don't like to get into the price game of how much i pay for my audio equipment

doubt is a funny little man in a red dress..don't dance with him
Thanks for not helping anything.
ghost

Originally Posted by teh215
Any suggestions on a 6.5 components? And in defense of Infinity, the first two were pretty much DOA from Crutchfield which they replaced no questions asked. I think that someone returned each set since each box was missing something...mounts, etc.
Focal makes great speakers. You won't find anyone talking poorly about them.
StreetOC192

Can't compare $320 focals with $6000 rainbows.
Rainbow makes different models ranging in price.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:25 PM
ghost

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Rainbow makes different models ranging in price.
Good for them. So does Focal.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:35 PM
StreetOC192

Good for them. So does Focal.
In retort to your obnoxious statement, I was illustrating that you could compare Focal and Rainbow on the same level.

Back on topic-
OP, picking components is a very personal choice (and many times hotly debated by certain people). What I think sounds good you may think sounds like crap. Different sets will have different timbres. Do you like bright or warm tweets? Soft or punchy mid bass? Are you looking for SQ or SPL? What type of music do you listen to? All of these personal tastes will influence what components you like. Some like JL Audio, some don't.....some like Focal and some don't.......this goes for any brand. Find out what YOU like.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:47 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
In retort to your obnoxious statement, I was illustrating that you could compare Focal and Rainbow on the same level.
he is too hung up on focal to understand anything right now.. thats why i didn't bother entertaining his argument
Old 03-16-2008, 02:51 PM
sintaxeror

Honestly man, if you just want something a little clearer and louder go get yourself some Infinity Reference or Kappa components and get a nice head unit... Everyone here gets pretty wrapped up in really nice stuff.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:26 PM
ghost

he is too hung up on focal to understand anything right now.. thats why i didn't bother entertaining his argument
Talk around me, that makes perfect sense.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:57 PM
shadykilla717

Soo Lost here lol. I guess outta tweeters I just want clarity in the sound. If that helps. Bass wise. I don't like that crazy rattly pounding where everything shakes and you can't hear the words to the song. I mostly when I blast music have more hip hop on. I listen to alot of other stuff but thats what I usually have on when my stereo is loudest.. I dunno if any of this helps.. But I'm guessin mid 1000 dollar range is normal??
Old 03-17-2008, 07:04 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i bought my rainbows for mid 300 price. they are excellent in craftsmanship and sound. I was missing out on so much without pods.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

To the OP I'd advise you to try and demo as many local Zs as possible and see what people are running, what they are spending and what sounds good to you. If you listen to everyone's personal equipment recommendations on this board it might not get you anywhere. As it has been said before in this thread and many others only you know what sounds good to your ears. I'd welcome you over to my place to hear my setup but it wouldn't help you at all since I think it's a little out of your budget.

Last edited by Kwame; 03-17-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:05 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is why i tell people to stop reading forums regarding product selection opinions, and also why i stopped posting such suggestions on car audio forums years ago
Old 03-18-2008, 03:30 AM
shadykilla717

Well I wasn't askin as much as whats the best to get. But what is a good quality brand to get for a lower price range that wouldn't kill my pocket. I didn't mean more of a debate on whats the best sound. But just a few lower to mid priced things to get an idea on prices.. And I'd go with it from there. Just somethin to start with cuz I don't know component systems well.

And kwame. Your shop is all performance riite?? No sound..
Old 03-18-2008, 04:04 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by shadykilla717
Well I wasn't askin as much as whats the best to get. But what is a good quality brand to get for a lower price range that wouldn't kill my pocket.
Bing brought up a good point a little while ago that demoing sets is almost pointless because install plays a big role in how a set will sound. I do agree very strongly with this, but I still do recommend demoing a set that you plan to buy because you can at least weed out basic things you don't like.

Best way to demo is in the exact car and in the exact install method you plan to use. Next to that would be at least in the same car. Next to that would be in any car. Lastly would be on a sound board. I would recommend at the very least demoing on a sound board. You can determine basic things by this.....if a tweeter is too bright on a sound board in a listening room that is very well damped, then it will most definitely be too bright in a car where you have many more reflective surfaces (without a lot of care in damping during install and tuning).

If you promise me you will not take my recommendations literally, but as a guide of some quality gear on the 'lighter' side of the budget spectrum, here you go:
Polk
Infinity
Diamond Audio
Focal
CDT
Alpine
Pioneer

You can find sets from these manufacturers relatively inexpensive from authorized dealers, and even cheaper from unauthorized dealers. There are others out there. Like I said, demo whatever you can....when you find something you like and if you are not sure of quality build, come back and ask if that particular set is quality or not. I would also budget in for pods or kicks, and you already know you will need an amp for these components to really shine. $1000 is a good budget for a nice sounding front stage. Just don't rush into a purchase. make sure you get what YOU want.

As you can tell from this thread there are many different schools of thought amongst car audio buffs. Some take a very specific stance and don't back down, some take a more mature approach. All I will say is you can usually tell a lot about a person's experience in car audio (and quite often age) by their responses.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:37 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shadykilla717
Well I wasn't askin as much as whats the best to get. But what is a good quality brand to get for a lower price range that wouldn't kill my pocket. I didn't mean more of a debate on whats the best sound. But just a few lower to mid priced things to get an idea on prices.. And I'd go with it from there. Just somethin to start with cuz I don't know component systems well.

And kwame. Your shop is all performance riite?? No sound..
Yes, we are strictly a performance parts shop.

I'm not sure if you answered this question or not and if you did I apologize, but do you plan on installing these new speakers on your own or having it done by a shop?
Old 03-18-2008, 04:41 AM
wayneside

Originally Posted by jaspendlove
I have polk audios momo's. they sound great, but are not the cheapest thing.
very good choice!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:06 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, my point here is that people willc ontinue to throw different opions at him with different models of spekares, thats just oging to make his selection harder and more full of second guessing.

Shadykilla, if you want to trust me with picking a good front stage for your car, send me a PM

Bing
Old 03-18-2008, 09:24 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
Shadykilla, if you want to trust me with picking a good front stage for your car, send me a PM
Can't beat Bing's "100% satisfaction guarantee"!!!!